💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Grandma Germanotta Uncomfortable w "Joanne"?

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

Gracious Gaga

Did anyone else feel that Lady Gaga's grandmother felt uncomfortable after hearing the song "Joanne"?  Watching that scene gave me the impression that her grandma is not fond on Gaga using the death of Joanne as an album concept.  

What did you guys think about that?  

♄ Kindness Police.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

Well, she said that it's been 40 years and it was okay. She was also okay with Gaga taking whatever she needed for it so I don't think she was uncomfortable. Gaga's dad on the other hand, they show him leaving the room, he probably got a little emotional as well.

andy232000

She openly said that she doesnt like it when Gaga dwells on the past over and over again with joanne. She even said it in the documentary, "its been over 40 years". I remember gaga said something about her just not wanting Her granddaughter to be linking herself and worried the rest of her life over someone she never met.

i lowket think her granmother thinks the whole "i am joanne" is extra 

My favorite line in the movie was the grandmother saying "Now don't go getting all maudlin over this!"   I laughed because I understood what she meant.  Gaga's sitting there bracing the poor woman and it HAD been 40 years. The grandmother said it was beautiful and enjoyed the song. I just felt she'd already gone through those motions so many years prior. She did seem to like the song. Personally, I had to look away for a moment during that scene because I nearly felt uncomfortable but it's one of the best parts of the film!  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Reginald
2 minutes ago, andy232000 said:

She openly said that she doesnt like it when Gaga dwells on the past over and over again with joanne. She even said it in the documentary, "its been over 40 years". I remember gaga said something about her just not wanting Her granddaughter to be linking herself and worried the rest of her life over someone she never met.

i lowket thing her granmother thinks the whole "i am joanne" is extra 

And girl it IS extra lol 

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

I love the Joanne album and song in particular but it wasn't surprising to me to see the grandmother basically kindly say "really?"  Lol.   She's a cute little grandmother tho! 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Her grandmother didn’t seem to have an issue with Gaga tributing Joanne, I think the problem was that she didn’t want her to dwell upon it since it was so long ago. Gaga mentioned this as well early on in the album campaign. 

Not The Real Gaga

She was uncomfortable with the song indeed. Maybe Gaga pressed her a little bit too much with this song/album :oprah:

thatfoxyfeeling

The scene with her Grandmother felt awkward, I don’t think she wanted to be filmed while listening to the song to be honest.   It must’ve meant a lot for Gaga though, you could see she wanted approval from her Grandmother. 

She's not as used to being infront of cameras as much as Gaga and her parents, that did contribute to the "awkward" sense to that scene.  I think her Grandmother enjoyed the song but as other users have pointed out, I don't think she likes Gaga spending so much time reflecting on it.

Neight Shayde

She didn't want Gaga to be somewhat "obsessed" (idk if it's the right word) over Joanne. Totally understandable.

BUT

Gaga has said multiple times before that her dad was the one who was more affected over the loss of his sister (that's why he cried and walked out), and it made a huge impact on him, especially on how they raised Gaga.

Stephen
20 minutes ago, BrothaGaga said:

She didn't want Gaga to be somewhat "obsessed" (idk if it's the right word) over Joanne. Totally understandable.

BUT

Gaga has said multiple times before that her dad was the one who was more affected over the loss of his sister (that's why he cried and walked out), and it made a huge impact on him, especially on how they raised Gaga.

exactly. it's really for her dad. I wish we could have seen his first listen of the song instead.

WildAmerican

Gaga seems to care A LOT more about it than her Grandma. She might've gone a little too far with the whole Joanne thing. Joanne being an extension of herself is a good album theme but she's definitely being a little "maudlin"

Being italian, that's exactly how an italian family works. You can see how uncomfortable Joe is being there, he had to leave the room because he couldn't deal with his feelings and share that with his family. Same thing happened to her grandma. 

Archived