💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Random Gaga Conversation Thread

Elysium

Featured Posts

Forrest Gump

But perhaps what you're forgetting is that she didn't just "jump on the bandwagon" as soon as other pop artists started gaining popularity. She really had to work to get Just Dance played on the radio, because all the indie acts were much more widely accepted. She wasn't an overnight succes, and she'd started writing 'The Fame' a looong time before Pop acts started to become popular again.

But I don't know all the details about those years in music, so perhaps you're right. But as far as I know, her discision to start making pop music the way she does today wasn't a simple matter of convenience.

which indie acts are you talking about?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leaf

• Shadow

• Bob

• Nemo

pink sushi

I don't know about the general public....but i definitely prefer her as a pop star. :crossed:

Interludicrous

which indie acts are you talking about?

Well, I can't speak for the US or anything like that, but in the Netherlands (which is where I'm from), Snow Patrol, Coldplay, tons of dutch bands/artists, were getting tons of attention.

And of course, there were also pop acts, like Pink, Mika and (briefly) Nelly Furtado. But when talking about typical, bubbly female pop/dance like Gaga was making... I can't think of anyone. A lot of it was alternative pop. The blonde, half naked popstar was shunned upon.

But I have no idea what it was like in the US at that time, other that what I got from Gaga in interviews and people on this forum. So again, I might not be the best person to talk about this . I just get really wound up in discussions like this.:derpga:

Forrest Gump

I don't know about the general public....but i definitely prefer her as a pop star. :crossed:

she can still be a pop star by making metal type songs

giskardsb

Gaga's most natural role is as the rock-ier version of Elton John, the female Freddy Mercury. If that's not obvious by her pre-Gaga days and the gusto with which she performed You and I during Monster Ball, and her VMA performance of You and I, then nothing is.

Edited by sbmonster

Forrest Gump

Well, I can't speak for the US or anything like that, but in the Netherlands (which is where I'm from), Snow Patrol, Coldplay, tons of dutch bands/artists, were getting tons of attention.

lol those aren't indie bands :rofl:

And of course, there were also pop acts, like Pink, Mika and (briefly) Nelly Furtado. But when talking about typical, bubbly female pop/dance like Gaga was making... I can't think of anyone. A lot of it was alternative pop. The blonde, half naked popstar was shunned upon.

Rihanna.

Interludicrous

lol those aren't indie bands :rofl:

BUT... I'm a :flop: so it doesn't matter. No but seriously, you do understand what I mean, right? Pop stars like her were frowned upon. The rock/indie/songwriter scene, or however you'd like to call it was more culturally relevant. At least, it was in the Netherlands.

Rihanna.

Touché. But I must say, at that time Rihanna was considered to be more "Beyoncé" than "Britney Spears". But yes, she was doing something similar to Gaga. But she was not nearly as plastic as Gaga used to be.

THAT's the word I was looking for. Plastic pop stars were not popular at all. Even Nelly Furtado was being called a sell-out because she used to be so 'real'. But she became too pop. Which is probably also why she dissapeared off the pop landscape after going for more feminine, "commercial" pop music with big producers.

DAMN it! As much as I'm happy for all European monsters and that more dates will be added as of overwhelming demand , I just noticed that Lady Gaga is performing on September 11 - Manchester, UK (MEN Arena) and the 29th Annual MTV VMAs are on the 12th ! WHICH POSSIBLY MEANS LADY GAGA ISNT GONNA ATTEND! That girl is just gonna miss some glorious acceptance speeches as of her BRILLIANT videos for Marry The Night and You and I.. :cry: :mad: :nono: :fail:

The nominees better include Video Of The Year and Best Song, not like last year. :eww:

If she won't attend - she'll still steal the show cause she isn't there.

Can't she just fly over? There's a big gap in timezones.

minajatrois

I want her to wear a flawless dress like she did @ VMA's 2010 :cry:

No more Jo please :eww: