Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
traditional art

Traditional Art&Pop Competition

August Blue

Featured Posts

August Blue
1 hour ago, GypsyBabe said:

Can we paint?

If so, then I think this may be a good opportunity for me to try it. Gotta push those limits. 

:unicorn:

Yes, you can :happy:

• YAAAS 1

August Blue

INSIDE ARTPOP COVER ART 

Hello guys!

For today I decided to share with you the meaning behind the cover of the most special Gaga album,

ARTPOP! 

scaletowidth

While the visual arts have always played a prominent role in Lady Gaga’s musical career, evident in her costumes and the symbolism appearing in her music videos, she makes a clear attempt to correlate her music with the visual arts in her fourth studio album Artpop.

Notably, Lady Gaga takes inspiration from the famous 1486 painting The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli, alluding to it with the album cover created by artist Jeff Koons and referencing it in the song “Venus.”

450px-Sandro_Botticelli_-_La_nascita_di_

This is not the first time that Lady Gaga has drawn parallels to The Birth of Venus in her musical career. In the music video for the single “Judas,” the image of Lady Gaga standing surrounded by water also seems to reference the famous painting.

lady-gaga-washed-away.png

Boticelli and The Birth of Venus

Spoiler

Sandro Botticelli was commissioned to create the painting by the powerful Medici Family of Italy in the late 15thcentury, during the Italian Renaissance.  It depicts the birth of the Roman goddess of love, Venus, rising from the sea foam from which she was born.

Multiple interpretations exist of the work. Venus represents love, and the followers of the philosopher Plato interpret her as inspiring both physical love and spiritual love, where the contemplation of beauty led to spiritual meditation.

Through the image of Venus’ beauty, the viewer’s mind would be inspired to muse upon spiritual beauty.  Therefore, Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus becomes a testament to the ability of art to stimulate the mind and spirit.

Artwork of Artpop

The imagery on the cover of Artpop references Boticelli’s The Birth of Venus, where the background collage includes pieces of the painting alongside snippets taken from Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s Apollo and Daphne.

banner-asiseeit.jpg

Lady Gaga sits at the centre of the collage, replacing the Venus depicted in Boticelli’s painting. She appears to be giving birth to a Jeff Koons gazing ball, perhaps as an allusion to the process of giving birth to art.

This appropriation of the place that Venus occupies in Boticelli’s painting parallels Lady Gaga with the Roman goddess, allying her with the qualities that the deity possesses and perhaps implying that Artpop is meant to stimulate the listener’s body and mind.

Whatever the intention, the classical painting has transcended its own time period to be reinterpreted in the pop star’s contemporary music and artwork today, becoming reborn in the minds of a new generation.

Story behind  Bernini’s Apollo and Daphne:

Spoiler

Apollo has just killed the Python, a gigantic snake, and he's feeling really full of himself.

The god comes across Cupid (called Eros by the Greeks).

Apollo teases Cupid about his archery, saying that Cupid is nowhere as good with the bow and arrow as he is.

Cupid doesn't appreciate Apollo's teasing and decides to mess with the rival god's heart.

The little winged god of desire fires off two arrows.

One arrow is tipped with gold and is designed to make people fall in love.

The other is tipped with lead and does the opposite.

Cupid nails Apollo with the golden arrow of love, and shoots a nymph named Daphne with the arrow tipped with lead.

Instantly, Apollo falls in love with Daphne, but she finds the idea of loving anybody totally gross.

Daphne tells her father, Peneus (a river god), that she wants to always be a virgin like the goddess Artemis (Apollo's twin sister, Diana to the Romans).

Peneus tells his daughter that she owes him some grandchildren.

She keeps begging, though, and Peneus agrees to his daughter's request, telling her that she'll never have to get married.

However, the river god cryptically adds, "Your own face will forbid it."

(Duh, duh, duh
Foreshadowing!)

Anyway, thanks to Cupid's shenanigans Apollo is now totally in love with Daphne. He chases her all around the woods, trying to convince her of how completely awesome he is.

Daphne is not having it, however, and just keeps on running.

Eventually, Apollo catches up with the beautiful nymph. When he just about has her, Daphne calls out for her father to help her.

Peneus does what any concerned father would do – he turns his lovely daughter into a tree.

Yep, before Apollo can get to her, Daphne is encased in bark, rooted to the ground, and has sprouted leaves.

Apollo's ladylove becomes a laurel tree.

As you might imagine, Apollo is pretty upset. He declares that he will never forget Daphne and makes the laurel his sacred tree.

Apollo says that he will wear a crown of laurel on his head and decorate his bow and lyre (a harp-like musical instrument) with laurel leaves.

The grief-stricken god swears to the laurel tree that it will always stay green and never rot.

The laurel tree bows its head in gratitude.

Free my mind, ARTPOP.  You make my heart stop! 

af8f7a12796f8a07d61e5522da201dfc.png

Edited by August Blue
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 4
  • Love 4

Florian

OMG that's such a cool game idea !! :O 

Too bad I didn't bring my trouser with pencils  here in Cambodia :giveup: Rooting for you @Phoenix :grr: 

@August Blue congrats for the idea, that's so cool to give some content to GGD artists or free-lance, our website lacks this kind of contest. Do you know if you'll do an other edition soo ? :excited2: And if yes could you mention me next time ? :excited2: 

August Blue
38 minutes ago, Florian said:

OMG that's such a cool game idea !! :O 

Too bad I didn't bring my trouser with pencils  here in Cambodia :giveup: Rooting for you @Phoenix :grr: 

@August Blue congrats for the idea, that's so cool to give some content to GGD artists or free-lance, our website lacks this kind of contest. Do you know if you'll do an other edition soo ? :excited2: And if yes could you mention me next time ? :excited2: 

Thank you, yes

August Blue
Just now, Lucas said:

I'm ****ing van Gogh right now. 

This can have 2 meanings :poot: 

• LMAO 1

August Blue
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

How, lmao?

Im fucking Van Gogh. 

Whether you are Van Gogh, or ur allegedly ****ng Van Gogh :poot: 

Edited by August Blue