Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Drag Queen exposes Katy Perry

gag

Featured Posts

South Blonde
Just now, IndieKylie said:

I think most people expect a paycheck when they're asked for their services or working...

Of course you expect it but if they clearly say that they're not paying the drag queens you could just say "no thank you, I don't do this for free. If you want me, you gotta pay."

It's not like they hired her and then refused to pay her after the job.

Just now, Supersonic said:

I mean it just happens VERY frequently that queer talent (like drag queens) get asked to WORK with no monetary compensation for the 'exposure'. And it's not ok on a lot of levels imo. The problem just doesn't dissolve if you talk it out privately (and probably fall on deaf ears). Adressing it publically not only gives you control over the narrative, it also shows other people "don't f*cking treat us like we're circus animals who do tricks whenever they're asked" and informs other queer performers as well over who is actually interested in paying your labour and who is asking for favors and will never return them.

I'm sure there's people out there "exploiting" drag queens and queer talent. I don't doubt it but addressing it publicly like that just seems a little unnecessesary to me. I would rather silently boycott the video, along other people, than rant on twitter looking like a crybaby.

Don't you think maybe they are the same thing? Love and attention?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supersonic
Just now, South Blonde said:

Of course you expect it but if they clearly say that they're not paying the drag queens you could just say "no thank you, I don't do this for free. If you want me, you gotta pay."

It's not like they hired her and then refused to pay her after the job.

I'm sure there's people out there "exploiting" drag queens and queer talent. I don't doubt it but addressing it publicly like that just seems a little unnecessesary to me. I would rather silently boycott the video, along other people, than rant on twitter looking like a crybaby.

Making unfair things public instead of seething in silence is IMO the better option. If people like Vicky didn't make this public, there would be no appearent reason to boycott this anyway (except for not being interested in Katy as a musician).

Meruk Holland
20 minutes ago, South Blonde said:

Sure, but if you're not okay with doing it for free, just say no. You don't have to rant on twitter about it because you expected a paycheck which they never promised you.

But what else is Twitter for :air:

South Blonde
Just now, Supersonic said:

Making unfair things public instead of seething in silence is IMO the better option. If people like Vicky didn't make this public, there would be no appearent reason to boycott this anyway (except for not being interested in Katy as a musician).

I don't actually agree, I don't feel like we have to publicly expose every unfair employer. Maybe it is because I'm not that type of person, I don't know. Of course if it was something illegal I would definitely get very serious about it ad probably make it a big deal out of it, but this seems nothing too serious or problematic. I do think she's being a little overdramatic, but maybe I'm wrong.

zakariah
26 minutes ago, retroglamx said:

Of course SHE wouldn't but what about the rest of the industry and people working around her.

Well, if they did, they're gonna have to face the wrath of LGBTGa/PoliticalGa

And she would pay the drag queens herself. 

MJHolland

I'm gonna link that twitter thread to my boss for this unpaid position I'm about to take :ladyhaha:

venusfly
1 hour ago, Admin said:

Why didn't Gaga get paid for playing the Super Bowl? Was NFL disrespecting her as well?

I think the difference there though is that all the attention is on Gaga herself :shrug: if this drag queen stars in a Katy video she's not going to get that much attention and the minimal exposure it would bring is pretty worthless, they're not going to get phone calls for jobs just for being the background of a video as an extra.

If she was to be a credited focal point of the video then sure maybe this would be different but I think exposure is far less worth than money in this case since Katy's team obviously does have the budget to pay their employees

GypsyVida
12 hours ago, LetsGetHigh said:

also why is she shooting a MV now for a single released in May when they already serviced another song to radio? her team.. mess

you're acting like no one else has ever done this... umm G.U.Y??? :trollga:

Stream COWBOY CARTER

LetsGetHigh
2 minutes ago, GypsyVida said:

you're acting like no one else has ever done this... umm G.U.Y??? :trollga:

G.U.Y. was serviced to radio a week after the video was released and the song made a single tho. This is completely different imo

YeehawKylie
48 minutes ago, South Blonde said:

Yes, but as others have mentioned, the expectation of drag queens to perform free work for exposure is a little backward. Drag is incredibly expensive, just showing up requires an immense amount of time and money (make-up, wig, outfit). This isn't a case of a simple cameo where one comes in their street clothes for half a day, gets a free lunch and can go. I also assume these drag queens will not simply be standing around in the video, there will be some performance involved. 

I inferred from the tweets that there was a discussion of payment and the queen was told 'no', which is a little insulting. Drag Queens are performers that already don't make much money in an expensive profession. I've been an extra in a few things and, unless it's a 'crowd' scene, you typically earn $100-500 for the day varying on how many extras are needed (and mind you, this is simply walking, sitting, or standing). I think it's a little insulting that her team chooses not to pay performers needed for her video (drag queen is a specific request for a specific type of entertainer). I can't fault the drag queen in this case for being insulted, even if calling out Katy Perry by name was unprofessional (said drag queen should've just said 'pop singer' and left it a mystery for the internet to figure out). 

MANiCURE1295
1 hour ago, Admin said:

Why didn't Gaga get paid for playing the Super Bowl? Was NFL disrespecting her as well?

Lol at you comparing playing the Super Bowl to starring in a music video. Honestly part of me wonders why you even asked that question because you already know the answer. 

If if you wanna look up the history of the NFL not paying the artist for the show then by all means do. They pay for the production costs (ranging from 600,000 to 10 Million) to in addition to paying the musicians and dancers except the headlining act. Oh look that only took a 5 second google search.

South Blonde
Just now, IndieKylie said:

Yes, but as others have mentioned, the expectation of drag queens to perform free work for exposure is a little backward. Drag is incredibly expensive, just showing up requires an immense amount of time and money (make-up, wig, outfit). This isn't a case of a simple cameo where one comes in their street clothes for half a day, gets a free lunch and can go. I also assume these drag queens will not simply be standing around in the video, there will be some performance involved. 

I inferred from the tweets that there was a discussion of payment and the queen was told 'no', which is a little insulting. Drag Queens are performers that already don't make much money in an expensive profession. I've been an extra in a few things and, unless it's a 'crowd' scene, you typically earn $100-500 for the day varying on how many extras are needed (and mind you, this is simply walking, sitting, or standing). I think it's a little insulting that her team chooses not to pay performers needed for her video (drag queen is a specific request for a specific type of entertainer). I can't fault the drag queen in this case for being insulted, even if calling out Katy Perry by name was unprofessional (said drag queen should've just said 'pop singer' and left it a mystery for the internet to figure out). 

Of course is never cool to say "no, I'm not paying you" especially if coming from Katy or her team. I mean, which popstar wants to look cheap? And I understand that this might have felt pretty insulting for her but we should not forget that this is showbiz that we're talking about... I'm not justifying anything, just stating a sad fact.

And yes, naming names is never a good idea, that's something that really bothers me. But anyway I respect your point of view even if mine is a little different. I guess I just expected a different reaction from both Katy/her team and the drag queen...

Spoiler

You know, I like to think of myself as a classy guy after all :whitney:

Slayer
54 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

I'm gonna link that twitter thread to my boss for this unpaid position I'm about to take :ladyhaha:

Dude you really shouldn't put up with that. Unpaid work and 'internships' are the biggest con ever. 

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

YeehawKylie
Just now, South Blonde said:

Of course is never cool to say "no, I'm not paying you" especially if coming from Katy or her team. I mean, which popstar wants to look cheap? And I understand that this might have felt pretty insulting for her but we should not forget that this is showbiz that we're talking about... I'm not justifying anything, just stating a sad fact.

And yes, naming names is never a good idea, that's something that really bothers me. But anyway I respect your point of view even if mine is a little different. I guess I just expected a different reaction from both Katy/her team and the drag queen...

Hide contents

You know, I like to think of myself as a classy guy after all :whitney:

Yes, while we may not agree about every part of this story, I definitely agree with you that Katy Perry should've never been named. It's beyond unprofessional to do so in the entertainment industry. Had she not dropped Perry's name, we would've still figured it out eventually. That part bothers me. I think she has a right to explain the point that Drag Queens are entertainers, and a profession that requires a lot of time and money, and that they deserve to be compensated for their work. Bringing up Katy Perry's name on a public platform just makes the Queen look bad and could hurt her bookings for similar projects in the future. 

Archived