-

Pop Art

Featured Posts

OmgSum1Actually

a transgender person will soon rule the pop charts :pray:

new kwing will rise

Shameless selfpromo

Yuuri

I don't mind either sexes ruling the charts just as long as their music is good and they are talent. In which that isn't happening right now. I find the top 10 to be pretty sad, and I think the only song worth listening to is a song I dislike "Stay - Zedd & Cara".

Goodtimes12128

I imagine there's a handful of girls recording their debut albums right now, and if they are clever enough (like Gaga was with social media and making the press follow her daily) they'll become a dominant force again.

The current crop of pop girls are just not breakthrough artists, IMO.

Sorcerer

The fact that Adele and Taylor Swift are the only girls in this period of music that has the possibility of getting hit singles is concerning. Even the lack of females in Grammy 2018 predictions is concerning. Only Lorde, Lady Gaga, and Miranda Lambert are predicted to get in the major categories. Sure, females have dominated the industry, but to have a more inclusive society, I think females need to at least be on the same page as males in the music industry.

And no, it is not a problem of promotion. Malibu was performed everywhere and it still quite didn't reach expectations. But if Ed Sheeran releases a buzz single, everyone will eat it. It is also not a problem of song quality. Million Reasons is better than any Migos song. Malibu is better than that trash by The Chainsmokers. Feamles still release good music, and people just ignore them.

Males like playing songs by males. Females right now play songs by males because of their fanbases, the looks of the guy, the cheesy romantic music, or they have crushes on them. 

Also, I hated the majority of the songs in Billboard Top 10 since mid-2016. Only a couple of songs are actually good. I do believe this hip-hop, electronic sound of the present is very unrisky and uncreative compared to the music of the previous decades.

RonnieGagz

I believe that Trump's ideals really influenced the USA. In the time where females were running everything, the population started being more acceptable to new things, and lets remember it was during the Obama's government. Now that Trump came, the conservative families that were being repressed before are now free to say what they want and command their children's life.

♡Gaga♡TØP♡Nightwish♡Lana♡Lorde♡Grimes♡

Radio Ga Ga

I don't think it's an exaggeration: in Trump's America, it's now cool to diss liberals, feminists, and LGBT activists, cuz it has become so easy to criticize social justice warriors and say that they're ridiculous. So now being subtly homophobic or misogynistic is more acceptable in society, and because of that, straight guys won't want to listen to pop girls, cuz otherwise they would get labeled as gay by the homophobes/misogynists that were previously in hiding during Obama's America.

In the past, if str8 guys listen to two or three pop girl songs, they're just having fun and it's fine. But now listening to the most ungay pop girls like rihanna or adele could be risky for a straight guy. 

Enigma
1 hour ago, Camore said:

but to have a more inclusive society, I think females need to at least be on the same page as males in the music

Are we really gonna force people to like female musicians for the sake of being inclusive tho ? :oprah: I mean that sucks but it's really not something feminists should rant about. It should only be a concern to the female / gay pop stan community, but it's definitely not a social issue... smh :neyde:

NIghtmareElm

Late 2016/2017 is just going through a hip hop/R&B/trap sound phase.  

StrawberryBlond

Yes, we should be concerned. Swathes of the public preferring one gender over the other when it comes to something as gender neutral as music is dangerous for the industry. Personally, I prefer female artists, not just because I'm female, but because female artists tend to sing better, have more interesting songs and take more risks. Male artists tend to do the same thing over and over, can't sing as well and keep their music really specific to them. The sad thing is, men get better music praise than women despite all this. Women are encouraged to be practically superhuman to get respect in the business whereas men are allowed to be mediocre and told they're amazing. Now, of course this is all because of social constructs, so I'm not going to blame men. It's society as whole that's caused this. And of course there's men who can make good albums. I just think the ratios could be better. The lack of amazing male artists nowadays is depressing. No one who prefers male artists to the exclusion of females even seem to see how their preference could be hurting the industry. I think a preference is only remotely acceptable if you actually share the artist's gender and sexual orientation. But when you don't, it becomes very weird.

It drives me nuts how some females will happily download a man's singles and albums and buy their concert tickets and merchandise just because they find him hot. I'm a woman and even I can't understand this. It's one of the few areas in life where I think women could really take a page out of a man's book. You won't find a man spending his hard-earned money on a woman's music career just because he thinks she's hot. Instead, he just watches her music videos on mute (but you wouldn't catch him buying her album) and the only piece of merchandise he ever buys is a poster of her so he can hang it on his wall (or his bedroom ceiling if he's that kinda guy). Why can't women operate like this? I have no idea. But it should be scientifically researched.

Archived