Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What Song Are You Listening To? 4.0

Shadow

Featured Posts

Luxe Ford

I think its time to celebrate the 30 years gone by since the most influential music genre since punk exploded world wide, Acid House. It all started when three Chicago house DJ's, Dj Pierre was one of them, sat at home getting drunk and playing around with their newly bought drum machine, the Roland TB-303

tb303big.jpg

They programmed and looped a simple bassline which sounded like basslines do. Thump, thump, thump.

Then they started twiddling those six little knobs at the top of the machine and th weirdest sounds emerged, squirking, bubbling, squelching and caustic enough to change your cerebral makeup permanently. They taped the result and called it Acid Tracks, not because of the drug, but because of the corrosive noise.

The over 12 minute "song" Acid Tracks became a very local phenomenon in chicago's The Warehouse in1987, before it somehow was picked up by an Ibiza DJ. 

In the summer of 87 three London DJs went on holliday there, as British people do, and went wild over the imported music played in the Amnesia club. When they returned to London one of the DJs, Danny Rampling, in 1988 declded to start a club, called Shooom, and introduce the music there.

As it happened, the new music scene coincided with the advent of a new drug, Ecstacy. Say what you will about that, one positive thing about it was that suddenly people who hated each others guts suddenly got together on the dancefloor. Instead of football hooligans assaulting gays and kicking their head in, they *hugged* And where clubgoers a few months earlier tried hard to look cool on the dancefloor slighly swaying to Rare Groove, they now danced with their sweat dripping.

More clubs opened: Spectrum at the gay club Heaven and the Hacienda in Manchester.

Spectrum%201988%2004%2011%20first%20nigh

And throughout 1988 it spread through Europe and, eventually back to the U.S.

The first Acid track I heard was Oochy Koochy by the brit Baby Ford. He made it in less than 30 minutes and appatently set the kick bass too low so it blew up speakers everywhere (for instance in Stockholm's Batclub).

And I had never heard anything like it! I forgot all about my brooding, sit-alone-in-my-room-feeling-misunderstood listening to The Smiths and started going to clubs three nights a week (yes, my school work suffered). And I'm convinced those weird noises wormed there way into my brain and changed it forever.

Acid House got out of style quickly and punters went back to cultivating the brooding, cooler-than-you gaze.

But the genre didn't die. Outlaw beach and warehouse parties popularised the even harder Techno rave music, which went on for years. 

And even today we have EDM and Trop House (which you could trace back to Balearic House, a rather nebulous genre also emerging from Ibiza which could be summed up as 'everything goes if it makes you happy and dance).

And that small, magic silver box is still used in songs today...

Edited by Luxe Ford
What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

Luxe Ford

Au/Ra & CamelPhat - PANIC ROOM

What kind of sneaky Gaga referencing name is Au/Ra romamama, you and me behind the uncomfy veil.

And the one time i have had camel ((Camel Vindaloo because crossover food i again. Because I say so) I didn't notice any Phat at all. I'll better tweet the guy and suggest a change of moniker to CamelLeen (apparently 'funky illiterate' spelling just won't die.

Electronic Dance Music, but not EDM. A bit like House music you can just...listen to.

Minus points for being so lazy as to recycle the sounds from their Grammy-nominated crossover hit "Cola". Hi there guys! It doesn't work rhat way.

Nice rhough and a level or two above elevator music.

Luxe Ford

IT'S NOT SIMPLY A QUESTION OF GETTING HOT, BUT A MATTER OF HOW MUCH HEAT YOU CAN TAKE!

Old school Acid House with vocals by soul legend P.P. Arnold.

Luxe Ford

Billie Ray Martin - Sweet Suburban Diso (Vince Clarke remix)

Vince Clarke used to be in Depeche Mode, Yazoo and Erasure.

Billie Ray Martin is a German soul singer who has one of the best voices (and best song titles!) in electronic dance.

Luxe Ford

Bilie Ray Martin - The Glittering Gutter (Offer Nissim remix)

Offer Nissim is an Israeli DJ.

Billie Ray Martin...best song titles.