Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Tove Lo: 'The Struggle' - LadyWood Phase II

Dawson

Featured Posts

YeehawKylie
3 hours ago, Dominic Marc said:

I don't really like it :(

Nothing from LW or Act 2 is giving me life like QoTC and I don't know why. I feel like the songs lack that power/kick. 

Queen of the Clouds was a more interesting project, in my opinion. The separate chapters felt like mini-albums. Thematically, they worked together and they were all impactful pop songs. 

I agree that Lady Wood just doesn't pack that same punch. I definitely appreciate it and enjoy it for what it is, but I don't think she'll be surpassing QOTC anytime soon...

Blake
1 minute ago, IndieKylie said:

Queen of the Clouds was a more interesting project, in my opinion. The separate chapters felt like mini-albums. Thematically, they worked together and they were all impactful pop songs. 

I agree that Lady Wood just doesn't pack that same punch. I definitely appreciate it and enjoy it for what it is, but I don't think she'll be surpassing QOTC anytime soon...

Tbh as a Tove stan, Lady Wood definitely packs a punch and all other Tove stans I know think that too. But maybe you're just not a stan. :whitney:

YeehawKylie
Just now, Blake said:

Tbh as a Tove stan, Lady Wood definitely packs a punch and all other Tove stans I know think that too. But maybe you're just not a stan. :whitney:

giphy.gif

Didn't say it didn't pack a punch, just not as magnified as Queen of the Clouds. I really like Lady Wood, but I understand where Dominic was coming from...QOTC is an easier listen to revisit time and time again. :whitney:

Dominic
30 minutes ago, Blake said:

Nah it doesn't.  It doesn't have the Moments/Timebomb/Stay High/Got Love type of punches.  The closest it gets is Flashes/Imaginary Friends. 

They don't sound as good live either. Seen her perform both album's and her debut just has IT. Not to say LW is bad it's just not as impactful. Most Tove fans know this :oprah:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

YeehawKylie
7 minutes ago, Dominic Marc said:

Nah it doesn't.  It doesn't have the Moments/Timebomb/Stay High/Got Love type of punches.  The closest it gets is Flashes/Imaginary Friends. 

Debate aside, these are my favorites from both albums. God, I love Imaginary Friends...

Dominic
Just now, IndieKylie said:

Debate aside, these are my favorites from both albums. God, I love Imaginary Friends...

Legit, me too. Moments/Got Love and Imaginary Friends :giveup: 

Influence also does something to my body too :firega:

YeehawKylie
1 minute ago, Dominic Marc said:

Legit, me too. Moments/Got Love and Imaginary Friends :giveup: 

Same, I was gonna throw Got Love in there...but didn't want to complicate things...

5 hours ago, Dominic Marc said:

I don't really like it :(

Nothing from LW or Act 2 is giving me life like QoTC and I don't know why. I feel like the songs lack that power/kick. 

I get you. Her stuff post 2015 is boring, flat, lifeless and generic. I loved everything pre 2015. It was vibrant and fresh. Now it's repetitive and dull and miss after miss. I had QotC on repeat forever and yet LW didn't even last a week. I found myself skipping tracks. It's like the melodies were flat and her lyrical quirkiness evaporated. There was a humor and it's gone. I'm massively disappointed in her and her career.

The struggle is indeed real for her to release great music again.

Dominic
9 minutes ago, FMB said:

I get you. Her stuff post 2015 is boring, flat, lifeless and generic. I loved everything pre 2015. It was vibrant and fresh. Now it's repetitive and dull and miss after miss. I had QotC on repeat forever and yet LW didn't even last a week. I found myself skipping tracks. It's like the melodies were flat and her lyrical quirkiness evaporated. There was a humor and it's gone. I'm massively disappointed in her and her career.

The struggle is indeed real for her to release great music again.

Yeah I don't know what happened. I loved her debut and all her unreleased. Influence was incredible and then it just stopped for me. 

I kinda feel like LW is a bit...teeny bop? And i say this as a Katy fan. I dunno. Production is good but the lyrics and passion seems lacking.  I got 0 emotion outta it. Gutted tbh because I really like her and think she's a super talented writer otherwise.  

2 hours ago, Dominic Marc said:

Yeah I don't know what happened. I loved her debut and all her unreleased. Influence was incredible and then it just stopped for me. 

I kinda feel like LW is a bit...teeny bop? And i say this as a Katy fan. I dunno. Production is good but the lyrics and passion seems lacking.  I got 0 emotion outta it. Gutted tbh because I really like her and think she's a super talented writer otherwise.  

I'm going to be brutal but in the beginning she really seemed focused on the music and that she wanted the music to speak for itself and now she's focused on all this other stuff and her music has suffered. I'm not a fan of the flashing. I think it got old quick, it's gimmicky, it's kinda cheap, and it's a distraction from the music. I love tits but it's gotten ridiculous. It's like she's more interested in getting naked and showing her tits. She's become 2 dimensional. Idk if you know what I mean but it's like she's got stuck on certain themes and she's keeps hitting me over the head with them.

I think almost exclusively using the Wolf Cousins stagnated her. Her lyrics now are really more generic. I mean only she could have come up with Love Ballad, Like 'Em Young and Habits and sung them. This recent stuff sounds more like she could give them to any number of people. And like you said it's all so passionless. Even in her voice, the way she singing, it's emotionless. And yeah there's a certain cheesy, cringe-y,  immature quality to it all.

And beyond all this I really thought she had drive, focus and ambition but she seems content to go with the flow and has an attitude of "what happens, happens." That kinda breeds mediocrity. Idk it's like there was a pre vocal cord surgery Tove and a post vocal cord surgery Tove and something changed. She came back careless, reckless and blasé and her management (assuming she actually has some) is incompetent.

Dominic
34 minutes ago, FMB said:

I'm going to be brutal but in the beginning she really seemed focused on the music and that she wanted the music to speak for itself and now she's focused on all this other stuff and her music has suffered. I'm not a fan of the flashing. I think it got old quick, it's gimmicky, it's kinda cheap, and it's a distraction from the music. I love tits but it's gotten ridiculous. It's like she's more interested in getting naked and showing her tits. She's become 2 dimensional. Idk if you know what I mean but it's like she's got stuck on certain themes and she's keeps hitting me over the head with them.

I think almost exclusively using the Wolf Cousins stagnated her. Her lyrics now are really more generic. I mean only she could have come up with Love Ballad, Like 'Em Young and Habits and sung them. This recent stuff sounds more like she could give them to any number of people. And like you said it's all so passionless. Even in her voice, the way she singing, it's emotionless. And yeah there's a certain cheesy, cringe-y,  immature quality to it all.

And beyond all this I really thought she had drive, focus and ambition but she seems content to go with the flow and has an attitude of "what happens, happens." That kinda breeds mediocrity. Idk it's like there was a pre vocal cord surgery Tove and a post vocal cord surgery Tove and something changed. She came back careless, reckless and blasé and her management (assuming she actually has some) is incompetent.

Wow :giveup:. Brutally honest but hit the nail on the head. As much as I hate saying it I agree completely. Feels a little bit more commercial/polished than her debut. 

I mean obviously music is completely subjective so I don't want to say it's bad at all as many love it but it's just not what I expected. It's not the singer behind Got Love that I fell for  :sweat:

I loved the Lady Wood concept initially but the novelty wore off quickly like the songs. It's just not for me so I hope Phase 2 manages to capture my interest again. 

Archived