💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga's Music Innovative and Exciting Anymore?

merlot

is gaga's music exciting anymore?   

273 members have voted

1. 1. is gaga's music exciting anymore?

• YES!
    • No :(

Featured Posts

BadMetalRomance

I still think Gaga's music is very exiciting and fresh! I get how the fans that grew to like Gaga from her hardcore pop songs find Joanne a bit less "fun", but it's definetly one of her best works. And tbh her older work has dated TERRIBLY compared to Joanne which, because of its production and style, is built to have a sound that will last for a long time. The work is fresh and new from Gaga, and while it's much more organic and toned down than her previous works it still shows her innovation in crafting good pop music (John Wayne, Diamond heart). It also shows her other side of music we have not truly observed as well (ballads like angel down and million reasons ). Just because the songs don't have her typical outlandish shine it doesn't mean that they're any less worthy of praise. :hug:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
djBuffoon

I don't think she was going for "innovative" on Joanne. But it is exciting, poignant, and as well-written as any other album she has come out with. And, yet again, her album doesn't sound like anyone else's.

Ok I'm scared of Y'all saying that TFM\BTW aged like milk or something :gum:

edit: I understand The Fame since there are songs like Starstruck (bop) that are like stucked in 2008 because of it's production but... :rip: 

ARTGOD
21 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

That's funny because she had everyone excited with SB, probably more than anything else in the last few years. And 90% of it was from her first two albums :reductive:

She had everyone excited because she's a great performer, what she sang is completely irrelevant, she could have had a show full of ARTPOP deep cuts and the critical reception would have been similar.

18 minutes ago, Edonis said:

I agree with everything your saying about critics and their prior expectations affecting their judgements, etc. But there are surely still some forms of unbiased criticisms, even now with some of the reviews of Joanne. Yes, a large portion was unfair in their assessments, but there were still reviews that were fair and honest. I'm just asking because albums like The Fame Monster were seen as an unexpected shift in what was expected of her work; and yet it was brought with critical acclaim upon first reception by critics across the board. Now this certainly isn't as dramatic as a shift from EDM pop to Americana music, but in a sincere question, why is that any different from reviews of TFM verses Joanne? And to answer the OP, I still think Gaga is still insanely creative and innovative and Joanne is a different form of innovation. It may not be immediate to everyone but it is there more or less. 

Because the shift from TF and TFM was quick, she had been famous for 10 months prior to the release of that album, people didn't have enough time to categorize her or expect anything from her, they were just getting used to TF Gaga and trying to figure her out when she dropped TFM. Now it's different, people have expectations, she has a brand, people dare to say what is Gaga and what is not, while in TF era no one knew what tf Gaga was supposed to be.

TF got good reviews because at the time the album was fresh and unexpected, just like Gaga. If she released that same album now, or tried to replicate TF the reception would be lukewarm, it would be seen as a regretion, as derivative, as vapid. That's why people's perceptions and opinions of art are based on context and history, thinking the supposed inherent quality of an album is based on critical reception would be dumb.

Reality

I think it's innovative in the sense that it's brining back classic sounds, and sounds from different genres, while still keeping that "Gaga-esque" flair. For her to purposefully make an album that's completely different from anything today, that's pretty remarkable. 

Her first albums (TF/TFM) were innovative themselves because they brought a new sound to the mainstream music industry, as well as a new look, and new opprotunities for art, technology, and fashion to intertwine with music. That being said, I think her newer albums, especially with Joanne, are innovative on their own.

🖤👹

HOTNebraskaGuy

It's not as simple as album by album. I think certain songs on each album sound very innovative and exciting at the same time, while others don't. 

Some song I think sound innovative/exciting (for their time): 

Paparazzi

Poker Face

Bad Romance

Telephone 

Teeth 

Marry The Night (more so the chorus/bridge) 

Judas

Government Hooker 

Aura

Venus

Mary Jane Holland 

John Wayne (if only the actual song included the sound effects from the Music Video...) 

Perfect Illusion

And maybe not "exciting" but I consider Sinner's Prayer pretty innovative, since it hints at a lot of old folk sounds and lyrics while still being able to sound fresh and like a pop song. 

1 hour ago, MetalliGa said:

If LG6 is true pop then it will be. At this time, in Joanne era, it's not :nails:

"True pop" is innovative? 

Are you sure you're not just reading "what do you want Gaga to do next?" rather than the actual question? :toofunny:

One, five, ten lay a million on me

OBEY
28 minutes ago, Gagz said:

No. Joanne is a great album, but not a great Lady Gaga album. 

I kind of feel that way too :poot: 

Edonis
15 minutes ago, ARTGOD said:

She had everyone excited because she's a great performer, what she sang is completely irrelevant, she could have had a show full of ARTPOP deep cuts and the critical reception would have been similar.

Because the shift from TF and TFM was quick, she had been famous for 10 months prior to the release of that album, people didn't have enough time to categorize her or expect anything from her, they were just getting used to TF Gaga and trying to figure her out when she dropped TFM. Now it's different, people have expectations, she has a brand, people dare to say what is Gaga and what is not, while in TF era no one knew what tf Gaga was supposed to be.

TF got good reviews because at the time the album was fresh and unexpected, just like Gaga. If she released that same album now, or tried to replicate TF the reception would be lukewarm, it would be seen as a regretion, as derivative, as vapid. That's why people's perceptions and opinions of art are based on context and history, thinking the supposed inherent quality of an album is based on critical reception would be dumb.

I agree that repeating the exact product is repetitive and would garner lukewarm reviews but Joanne was very unique to her discography and well, she got lukewarm reviews. And I disagree that she could've released anything at the time and it would garner similar reception; that was something more akin to the Born This Way era, when a song about self acceptance and gay identity sold well. That was a very daring and well thought out decision for Gaga to release an album with subjects that meant so much to her during her highest peak so that audiences everywhere could hear the message. I don't think that would've done well during the transition between TF and TFM. 

This is just my opinion of course (so don't attack me 😩) but I think the reason a lot of her earlier work was more celebrated critically was due to the craft itself. Being able to combine mainstream pop sounds with experimental, "foreign" instrumentation, vocal styles, etc. made her such a big force. She was releasing music that succeeded in pleasing both casual listeners as well as fans and critics in a smart, yet genuine way. That's not an easy task to do in pop music. This also accounts to why ARTPOP's concept was so polarizing; she was already combing sounds of art and pop music into own cohesive piece since the beginning of her career. Joanne has aspects of that as well, but because of its personal nature, it doesn't go that far into experimental sounds (JW, SP, and HG do though). 

It's very complicated I think, to discuss her innovative capacity and her music, in general. But hey, this was an awesome platform for great discussion :)

Monsterish

Innovative? Right now, no :sure: But, we'll have to wait LG6...

Exciting? Always :yay:

Joanne is her 2nd best album. It's not innovative, but the lyrics, vocals and instrumental of Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons or Angel Down are so fcking good. So-fcking-good. And you can see Gaga yet, imo. 

Accept it and /thread 

freebit

I don't think she really needs to be "innovative" and reinvent the wheel with every album. I only care if the songs are good and speak to me in some way.

You could say some of her songs are innovative, but mostly Gaga's work is a pop music pastiche in the best way possible. She's often a mirror of different decades, musical movements, and genres put together into one tight package. 

Erich Johnson
1 hour ago, ARTGOD said:

Yes, her first albums are basic and have aged like bread, they don't seem exciting anymore, while BTW, ARTPOP and Joanne are far more musically interesting and daring, I could listen to them over and over.

GIIIIIIRL WHERE DO YOU THINK YOURE GOING

Teo6L0Y.gif

:sure:

:sure::sure::sure::sure::sure:

Tryin' to get control
Pressure's takin' its toll
Stuck in the middle zone
I just want you alone
My guessing game is strong
Way too real to be wrong
Caught up in your show
Yeah, at least now I know

It wasn't love, it wasn't love
It was a perfect illusion (Perfect illusion)
Mistaken for love, it wasn't love
You were a perfect illusion

I don't need eyes to see
I felt you touchin' me
High like amphetamine
Maybe you're just a dream
That's what it means to crush
Now that I'm wakin' up
I still feel the blow
But at least now I know

Where are you?
Cause I can't see you
(It was a perfect illusion)
But I feel you watchin' me
Dilated, falling free
In a modern ecstasy
Where are you?
Cause I can't see you
Illusion
Mistaken for love
Where are you?
Cause I can't see
Dilated, falling free
In a modern ecstasy
Mistaken for love
In a modern ecstasy
In a modern ecstasy
Caught up in your show

It was a perfect illusion
Somewhere in all the confusion
It was a perfect illusion, illusion (illusion)

You were so perfect
You were a, you were a perfect illusion

ARTGOD
4 minutes ago, Erich Johnson said:

:sure::sure::sure::sure::sure:

Tryin' to get control
Pressure's takin' its toll
Stuck in the middle zone
I just want you alone
My guessing game is strong
Way too real to be wrong
Caught up in your show

I don't need eyes to see
I felt you touchin' me
High like amphetamine
Maybe you're just a dream
That's what it means to crush
Now that I'm wakin' up
I still feel the blow
But at least now I know

Where are you?
Cause I can't see you
Dilated, falling free
In a modern ecstasy
Where are you?
Cause I can't see you
Illusion
Mistaken for love
Where are you?
Cause I can't see
Dilated, falling free
In a modern ecstasy
Mistaken for love
In a modern ecstasy
In a modern ecstasy
Caught up in your show

It was a perfect illusion, illusion (illusion)

You were so perfect
You were a, you were a perfect illusion

raw

RAMROD

Of course it is

giphy.gif

Not liking or enjoying a genre or three shouldn't ever translate to a particular artist is not exciting anymore. Because it is lways the opposite, it is exciting because they are challenging their audience, especially their base, by introducing new sounds each time. And also, by doing this, they are also keep their repertoire colourful, so whenever people looked back, they'll see what kind of artist these people are. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

monsterdino

Well Joanne was not innovative on purpouse, she wanted to do a little folk throwback album for her family but that doesn't mean that she can't make exiciting or innovative music anymore

djBuffoon
2 hours ago, ARTGOD said:

You are serving up boiling tea all over this thread.

Archived