Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Waiting for the next Gaga/MDNA/MJ?

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

Then wait until the US unemployment rate starts to rise.

Us+economy+q+whats+michelle+obamas+favor

You heard me right Little Bankruptcies: when the US economy is tanking, we are gifted with a wave of era-defining, iconic, stan-worthy pop artists/music.

87.gif

This is a graph of the US unemployment rate since 1960. Basically, the higher the red line, the higher the unemployment rate.

My reach theory works for the 70s onwards; IMO pop music as we know it today comes into being in this decade.

H9OCZMI.jpg

1. 1973-1975 Recession

This recession marked the end of the post-World War II boom. "It differed from many previous recessions as being a stagflation, where high unemployment coincided with high inflation."

And what did we get out of this recession? DISCO

giphy.gif

Disco finds its roots in the gay, African-American, Italian-American and Latino communities. It begins to increase in popularity from 1974 to 1977, just as the economy is starting to tank. The era gives us Donna Summer, the Bee Gees, ABBA, and Chic.

"By the mid 1970s, the economic prosperity[...] had declined, and unemployment, inflation and crime rates had soared. Film critic Roger Ebert called the popular embrace of disco's exuberant dance moves an escape from "the general depression and drabness of the political and musical atmosphere of the seventies."

horse_gaga.gif

As the unemployment rate decreases again, disco starts receiving backlash. An anti-disco demonstration called "Disco Demolition Night" is held in July 1979. The month this demonstration is held the top six songs in the US were disco; by September 1979, there were no disco songs in the top 10 :madge:

This led the way for country music/rock's rise to mainstream popularity in the early 1980s.

2. Early 80s Recession

This recession is actually two recessions; you can see on the graph that the unemployment rate in the US skyrockets between January 1980 and January 1983. Unemployment hits 10.8% in November/December 1982 - the highest since the 1930s.

The biggest and most iconic artists of the 1980s - Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince (aka the Holy Trinity of Pop :cryga:)  - either debuted, or experienced a major career breakthrough during this recession

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

Prince releases 1999 in October 1982, the album that breaks him into the mainstream.

Madonna releases her debut single "Everybody" in October 1982, which peaks at #3 on the US Dance Club Songs Chart. She releases her debut album Madonna in July of the following year, while the unemployment rate is still sky high.

Michael Jackson releases Thriller, literally the most successful album of ALL TIME (:cryga:) in November 1982 and becomes a household name worldwide. "Billie Jean" is released as a single on January 2, 1983.

3. Early 1990s recession

Not a very memorable recession, but unemployment rates went up from Jan 1990 to Jan 1993.

Arguably the biggest and most iconic artist of the 1990s was Mariah Carey, and she released her debut album Mariah Carey in June 1990, just around the time the unemployment rate started to skyrocket.

MariahCarey-MCcover.jpg 

(Madonna, Janet Jackson, and Whitney Houston were 90's icons as well, but the three of them were already successful in the previous decade)

Other artists we got:

Boyz II Men releases their first chart-smashing single "End of the Road" in June 1992 (which stayed at number 1 for 13 weeks).

TLC releases their debut studio album Ooooooohhh... On the TLC Tip in February 1992, and produces three top 10 hits.

Celine Dion releases her first English-language album Unison in April 1990, which goes platinum in the US and produces her first top 10 hit.

4. Early 2000s/Dot-Com Bubble

The US unemployment rate hits a low in 1999 before shooting right up again. It keeps increasing until 2003-ish.

What we get is an abundance of icons (this one is kind of a reach but bear with me here :gum:)

Beyonce and Destiny's Child achieve breakthrough success with their second album The Writing's On the Wall in July 1999. 

Destiny's_Child_%E2%80%93_The_Writing's_

Britney releases her debut album ...Baby One More Time in Jan 1999

..._Baby_One_More_Time_(album).png

Christina Aguilera releases her self-titled debut album in August 1999

Christinaaguilera-christinaaguilera.jpg

NSYNC releases No Strings Attached in March 2000, which achieves landmark success

220px-Nsync_-_No_Strings_Attached.png

5. The Great Recession

a.k.a the worst recession since WWII :madge: This lasted from mid-2007 to early 2010.

Literally EVERY big name in today's music industry you can think of debuted/achieved breakthrough success during this three-year window.

GAGA

Lady+Gaga+Z100+Jingle+Ball+2008+Press+Ro

Along with Katy Perry (debuted in June 2008), Taylor Swift (achieved mainstream success with Fearless in November 2008), Drake (releases "Best I Ever Had" as a single in June 2009, which peaks at #2 on the Hot 100), Justin Bieber (releases My World in late 2009), Nicki Minaj (makes her first feature on "Bedrock", which peaks at #2 in early 2010), Adele (releases her debut studio album 19 in Jan 2008), Bruno Mars (makes a feature on "Nothin' On You" in late 2009 and debuts at number #1). :firega:

(Rihanna debuted earlier, but you can argue that she achieved mainstream commercial success with Good Girl Gone Bad in 2007.)

I also find it interesting that Gaga experienced a very similar fate as disco did in the 70s. Her dance music tops the charts for about 3 years, and then once the economy starts to get better, she faces backlash and drops off the pop radar :madge:

6. ???????

From early 2016 till now, the unemployment rate in the US has been sitting at a low of around 4.7-5% -- which is good if you need a job, but not if you need bops :lolga:

At the moment pop music has stalled and we're stuck listening to The Chainsmokers, Ed Sheeran, Alessia Cara, and mumble-rappers like Migos and Desiigner. 

If Donald Trump comes through, the unemployment rate will start to rise, and we'll get a whole new wave of stan-worthy artists. I'm predicting late-2017 through to 2020.

TL;DR: If you're waiting for the next "Gaga" or "Madonna", just wait until the economy crashes

518FuhwWs0JCj5TbZM0xbLujpp0FPK7MzHK3ogTU

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

I think the new superstars come with the new technologies and shifts in generation,

Just think about it .... the radio era, the TV era, the MTV era, the mp3 era and so on...

PunkTheFunk
2 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I think the new superstars come with the new technologies and shifts in generation,

Just think about it .... the radio era, the TV era, the MTV era, the mp3 era and so on...

You're probably right but just play along for my sake :sis:

androiduser
2 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

You're probably right but just play along for my sake :sis:

Yes, I think what you said also comes into play.... usually during the times of crisis, war and poverty the entertainment industry offers more fantasy, glamour and bling as an escape for the audiences, so this surely makes a huge impact on some artists' careers

Decodekid
12 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

TL;DR: If you're waiting for the next "Gaga" or "Madonna", just wait until the economy crashes

518FuhwWs0JCj5TbZM0xbLujpp0FPK7MzHK3ogTU

:air:

inb4 we should all vote for Trump in 2020 so we can get the new Michael Jackson 

Im Harol don't tell anyone

SlaeUrAnus

Those late 90's figures are good :lolly: probably because of the Spice Girls with their merchandise. Had to work to pay for it all :lolly: 

In my messy era.

Decodekid

OT: great observation, and actually, it can be true, we listen to music to forget about problems, maybe is a tactic of the music industry, who knows.

Decodekid

i need a 2010-2012 weave snatching music era again, so World, you can get as ****ed up as you want :lolly:

Spoiler

jk :giveup:

sipthistea

Guess they come when the world is in trouble.

To save us from basicness and chainsmokerness. 

Archived