Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What time period will A Star Is Born be set in?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

DeleteMyAccount
2 minutes ago, mthstrqt said:

of course you can. it's a movie, it doesn't have to be realistic. and even if  the goal is for it to be realistic, there's many ways they can do it. for example; bradley's character is a fading rock star and gaga's character comes in to give him some new fresh ideas/sounds

That's also the premise of the other remakes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

No. Rock is just as relevant today as it was yesterday and the decades that proceeded it. How does the story not work with older characters? When Judy Garland starred in A Star is Born in 1957 it was seen as her big comeback in the film scene. She was then nominated for an Academy Award. Again, if a movie like LLL can work, then ASIB will definitely work. The only issue I have is the directing and writing due to Bradley never doing it before on this big of a scale.

Because there isn't a 'rock star' in today's pop music? IMO it kinda has to reflect the time period it's set in?

Sizzily
13 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

But the story has to be realistic and fit the setting it's in? Like you can't have the 'star' be a rock or jazz singer if it's set today, because that would never happen?

It's fiction, henny.

One Banned Boi

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, RainbowBlonde said:

Because there isn't a 'rock star' in today's pop music? IMO it kinda has to reflect the time period it's set in?

If you want to make a movie for the money, yes. However, there are plenty of rock stars in today's music industry making great success. You don't have to be young or on the charts to achieve that though. Once again, LLL found huge success by not slaving to what is trending and did what they found to be a perfect mesh of music and film.

RadioIsOurs
5 minutes ago, mthstrqt said:

of course you can. it's a movie, it doesn't have to be realistic. and even if  the goal is for it to be realistic, there's many ways they can do it. for example; bradley's character is a fading rock star and gaga's character comes in to give him some new fresh ideas/sounds

That's a good idea. It's not so much about being 'realistic' but more about being 'logical'. Sure, it can take place in like some alternate universe where older genres are still popular today, but I think it's still something critics and music fans are going to point out as there's going to be a disconnection between the imagery and the music. 

TropicOfCANCER

He's not playing a music star though. For those of you not familiar with ASIB, the story is about two actors (not singers). Just like how in La La Land, Emma's character is an actress.

mthstrqt
3 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

how do you want to have a rock star in pop music??? :oprah: rock music > pop music. 2 different things

RadioIsOurs
Just now, mthstrqt said:

how do you want to have a rock star in pop music??? :oprah: rock music > pop music. 2 different things

Pop music means popular music. Rock music used to dominate the charts. Every time period is going to have a different definition of pop music. 

RAMROD

Best believe she'll do Jazz and Ballad for this film.

Could also be early 2000s when Amy Winehouse was around. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

He's not playing a music star though. The story is about two actors (not singers)

I'm not sure, hasn't the film adaptations so far been about singers?

RadioIsOurs
4 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

If you want to make a movie for the money, yes. However, there are plenty of rock stars in today's music industry making great success. You don't have to be young or on the charts to achieve that though. Once again, LLL found huge success by not slaving to what is trending and did what they found to be a perfect mesh of music and film.

But isn't LLL on a much smaller scale? I haven't seen it so I'm not sure. 

TropicOfCANCER
3 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

I'm not sure, hasn't the film adaptations so far been about singers?

oops NVM. I could've sworn the male was an actor and the female was a singer/actress. Quite frankly,  I low-key hope they change it for the new version.

DeleteMyAccount
Just now, RainbowBlonde said:

But isn't LLL on a much smaller scale? I haven't seen it so I'm not sure. 

Smaller scale? As in it had a low budget or something?

There isn't much of a difference since we're talking about musicals in general. The idea is that LLL worked because it wasn't trying to be too modern and "pop". It was different and fresh depending on how you view the film. And they accomplished that without having super young actors singing to top charting pop songs.

From the sound of it it seems like you want ASIB to be like Burlesque or something. 

RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Smaller scale? As in it had a low budget or something?

There isn't much of a difference since we're talking about musicals in general. The idea is that LLL worked because it wasn't trying to be too modern and "pop". It was different and fresh depending on how you view the film. And they accomplished that without having super young actors singing to top charting pop songs.

From the sound of it it seems like you want ASIB to be like Burlesque or something. 

Not really, I just feel like it should be relevant by reflecting the music industry as it is today (if it's set in today). 

Luxe Ford

I think people are smart enough to get the *idea* of huge, big male star and that's what matters. Maybe they'll make a science fiction movie out of it? Probably not, but I don't see the issue, really.

[walking down memory lane]. I saw an amateur prodiction of ASIB when I was twelve or thirteen and it had a massive impact on me. I was as in love with the protagonist as only a (future) gay adolescent could be. I don't remember much of it but it was something in the dramaturgy that just gripped me at the core.

So I'm very excited about this oroject. Just the fact that Gaga is stepping in the shoes of one of the biggest gay icons of all time, Judy Garland (da wiz of Oz, guys!) means a hellofalot to me. 

#veryveryga

P.S. Can't be bothered to proof check what I just wrote because the psychologist who heads my neuropsychological investigation just told me my intelligence is borderline MENSA. Not that I feel very smart, but it made me happy! Yay fakking me!

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

Archived