💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Mariah Carey Was Madonna's Biggest Threat of Her Career?

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, brizoda said:

She is, has been and will be a biiiitch

and nothing will change my opinion

Luckily millions of others see the bigger picture.

What Madonna has done for the LGBTQ community, women, HIV/Aids and so much more is truly inspirational.

Stay mad.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brizoda
Just now, jojuun said:

What Madonna has done for the LGBTQ community, women, HIV/Aids and so much more is truly inspirational.

Stay mad.

Is her shady soul who will burn in hell not mine

brizoda
4 minutes ago, jojuun said:

Stay mad.

And for you to know I have Sex (book) and is a treasure to me

I only dislike her personality not her achievements

7 minutes ago, brizoda said:

Is her shady soul who will burn in hell not mine

Oh Jesus Christ.

5 minutes ago, brizoda said:

And for you to know I have Sex (book) and is a treasure to me

I only dislike her personality not her achievements

Well honey, sad to inform you it's her personality that got her those achievements. Maybe read a Madonna biography so you can understand things a bit better, okay?

Have a blessed day! :reductive:

brizoda
2 minutes ago, jojuun said:

Oh Jesus Christ.

Well honey, sad to inform you it's her personality that got her those achievements. Maybe read a Madonna biography so you can understand things a bit better, okay?

Have a blessed day! :reductive:

I lived it

DiscoHeaven23
2 hours ago, Shipper said:

This is a fun read. Like a historical pop documentary. :applause:

I petition for a Mariah 'I dont know ha' gif for ggd. 

tht was the purpose of this. i wanted to set the scene for what the environment was like then. I love both girls, just sharing what i view to be the facts

DiscoHeaven23
10 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

And both have their egos at the sky. 

Being honest, i think i would too if i was them

StrawberryBlond

I never really thought about it like this but you're right. Mariah is always the second biggest name after Madonna that I think of when it comes to years of success. Mariah became big when Madonna was going through a downfall, so it must have hit her hard. Funnily enough, Madonna picked up again in 1998 onwards, when Mariah started declining. And then they both picked up commercially again around the same point. I had no idea there was this much shading going on, really opened my eyes. It's worth noting that Madonna decided to release Bedtime Stories in 1994, an RnB album full of vulnerable ballads, in a bid to repair her damaged image. What an apt time to release such an album, when RnB was going from strength to strength in the 90's and women with big voices singing ballads was the ultimate trump card. For all that people like to say that Madonna was a pioneer and set trends and was ahead of her time, she sure went along with the times a lot more than people think. Especially when it came to 'rescuing' her career. Don't tell me that that album was not inspired by Mariah's successful brand of music. No one was hailing Madonna as a vocal talent, so her decision to make a ballad album was clearly all about trend hopping in the hopes of getting a slice of success that all the big divas were having at the time.

2 hours ago, jojuun said:

She really hasn't. She's only had slight beef with Mariah, Gaga and Janet. And the Janet thing was one sided. Janet shaded Madonna. Madonna didn't so sh*t back.

Madonna is usually VERY supportive of the "new" women in pop... Don't forget she supported Gaga at the Fame Ball in 2009 before she hit the big time and did SNL with her and always spoke highly of her until BTW in 2011.

Sure, she supports the women who aren't a threat to her or she supports them until they start being a threat to her. She also loves chasing the young ones to be considered cool by association with the youth market. All those photos that you provided mean nothing. Celebrities get pictured together all the time for publicity and to keep up appearances. Once the cameras move away, they don't speak. If she truly supported women, she'd collab with them a lot more and speak more highly of them instead of shading them whenever she gets the chance.

And about calling women bitches - I use this word and I'm a feminist. I use the word the way it was meant to be used, which is to describe a nasty person. And that person can be male or female, but the word is gender specific, so it feels only right to use it for women. I use it in the same way I'd call a man a gender specific insult. Sure, some people use the word for a woman who is confident in herself and her opinions, I've experienced that myself. But most of us use it to refer to a woman who's being nasty or acts above it all. But some women don't realise that they have an attitude problem, so they assume this word is a sexist insult when in actuality, they just don't like to be called out on their behaviour.

I'm a 30-something, and coming up in the 80's / 90's, the main competitors were most definitely Madonna and Janet.  Madonna hit in '84, Janet in '86.  Janet was the first female in the industry to really incorporate heavy, intricate synchronized dancing the way her brother did, and she did it effortlessly.   

Madonna did her share of dancing after that, of course, but could never really touch Janet's natural abilities.  Plus Janet was making pretty consistently stellar albums with her musical "husbands" Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (Control, Rhythm Nation, Janet., All For You).  

Madonna was definitely more controversial, provocative, statement-making and did make her shows quite a spectical, but she was most definitely aware of Janet's presence and seemed a bit pressed.  As with Gaga, Madonna has always seemed somewhat threatened by those females she sees as some sort of threat to her crown, or as moving into her lane (and possibly doing it better).  

Someone mentioned her beef with Janet being one-sided, saying that Janet shaded her.  Just to set the record straight on that, Madonna was being Madonna and had trashed the Jackson family a bit in an interview, which obviously pissed Janet off.  She fired back.  

I love much of Madonna's music - I think she's creative, savvy, a visionary and has a great recorded voice.  I'm obsessed with Erotica, Bedtime Stories and of course the classics.  That being said, her persona has always bugged me, and she's very much a hypocrite when preaching about how women should support one another when she has spent her career doing anything but.  

John Slayne

The only iconic thing Mariah has is that Christmas song and a good voice. On the other hand, Madonna has left legacy that only the biggest artists like MJ or Beatles match. She's always been daring, provocative, political and made you question things. I can't say the same for Mariah. Mariah used to have big commercial success but her music is just not worthwhile.

39 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

The only iconic thing Mariah has is that Christmas song and a good voice. On the other hand, Madonna has left legacy that only the biggest artists like MJ or Beatles match. She's always been daring, provocative, political and made you question things. I can't say the same for Mariah. Mariah used to have big commercial success but her music is just not worthwhile.

Mariah will certainly go down as one of the best female pop voices in her prime, and she did have some pretty damn iconic songs.  She's not "clued-in" like Madonna, though, and doesn't care about making statements other than her wanting the world to know she thinks she's still hot.   Kind of ditzy in my opinion.  

Correction to my above post - Madonna actually hit around '82 / '83.

Lady Palutena

Interesting read, never knew that stuff TBH 

Mariah over Madonna any day for me, though. 

giphy.gif

Adoremus in caelum, Palutena. Dea luminis.

For the life of me I will never understand why Mariah is so famous. She was big in the 90s, ok, but then what?

And aside from All I Want for Christmas, I suspect most people can't name  5 of her songs... 

Am I the only one who thinks that?

Tellerphone

Mariah will only be remembered for her Christmas song. She had the voice for a time but didn't take care of it. Now she's a delusional drunk with a reality show.

Archived