celeb

Most overrated albums of 2016 according to Pitchfork readers

Enhsa

Featured Posts

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swan Heart

So basically the most acclaimed albums this year..? What a shock. :emma: Minus that Drake record (that should be #1 imo).

I would add that Bieber record for obvious reasons and also ANTI, which really had two good songs and one of them was a Tame Impala song but with Rihanna's vocals over it.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

ItsTommyBitch

Solange? Overrated? This will not stand :wtf: 

Of course ****ing Weezer is on the underrated list though :awkney: 

And Kanye both over and underrated? :saladga: 

Drake's VIEWS should be the #1 most overrated album. Solange, while critically acclaimed, should be considered underrated as well because of the absolute blood and sweat and heart put into the album and its message (even though, its #FUBU and not for everyone :emma: )

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

GhettoFabulous
1 minute ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Solange? Overrated? This will not stand  

Of course ****ing Weezer is on the underrated list though  

And Kanye both over and underrated? :saladga: 

Drake's VIEWS should be the #1 most overrated album. Solange, while critically acclaimed, should be considered underrated as well because of the absolute blood and sweat and heart put into the album and its message (even though, its #FUBU and not for everyone :emma: )

This :diane:

RAMROD

Hipsters making a list for overrated albums, I see the actual jokes here :ladyhaha:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

No wonder the first five artists are black. Given the current climate in the U.S., you already have a great album given the fact you're Afro-american and your people are being killed every day.

Annoying. 

StrawberryBlond

Finally, a music list that makes a bit of sense. I've heard almost all those albums on the list and can confirm that I completely understand where the overrated ideas are coming from. A lot of these people have been acclaimed as music gods for a while now. It's time the tables turned a bit and the public started having a say. I don't know what critics do during their music degree. They must teach them to only think the most pretentious, high faluting stuff is true art. The public actually have their heads screwed on right and aren't getting paid to like something.

On 20/12/2016 at 9:15 PM, Daredevil said:

Funny how the top 5 are all black artists 🤔

On 20/12/2016 at 10:40 PM, AntiPotCrusader said:

And the amount of black artists is kind of suspect. 

Of course that conclusion would be jumped to. Naturally, if the top 5 were all white, nobody would say a thing. Just like if the top 5 were women, people would assume sexism, but if it were men, nobody would bat an eyelid. I'm a woman and a proud feminist and I don't go around saying that any women who get criticised are victims of sexism. I review albums myself and most of the most overrated and worst albums on my list are of women. Because I hold everyone to the same standard and want women to be treated equally, not better. Which is why it annoys me that minority racial groups are calling out racism every time they don't get praised to high heaven. This is what I mean when I say that some people are not looking for racial equality, they're wanting special treatment. Clearly, black people must be faring very well in music if they kick up a fuss every time they aren't praised (such a reaction suggests you have the self esteem to believe you are worthy and are stung that this feeling doesn't resonate with others). Sorry, but if you want equal treatment, you're going to have to get used to a word called 'coincidence.' White people deal with this word all the time, along with phrases like "better luck next time," "just the luck of the draw," "you win some, you lose some," and the ultimate classic "just one of those things." Equality isn't about getting your own way all the time. It's about getting the chance to get your own way but having no guarantee of it.

On 20/12/2016 at 9:22 PM, Thomas P said:

Mess at the Beyoncé hate

Views and Drake as a whole, is the most overrated album in history. Don't quote me it's true. Lemonade could never.

And to whoever thinks ASATT is overrated, let me tell you this. Solange is an artist who unfortunately has been stuck in her sisters shadow. That's not a bad thing, Beyoncé's older, and she got better management. Solange's career finally took off to a point that she was getting the recognition she deserved, and people want to call that overrated. NNNNNNN this list is ****ed.

While I don't think Lemonade is perfect by any means, I still think it's decent. It'll end up on my best of year end list, albeit in a low position. Out of all the albums listed here, it's probably the least overrated because it actually has moments of quality. Agree with you 100% about Drake, though. This album wasn't rated as well as his last album (which I think was the better one, funnily enough) but critics still weren't anywhere near as harsh as they should have been on it. It doesn't even sound like the sort of album critics would like. Which is where I suspect bribery is involved. And I don't think people are saying that Solange's success is overrated because she sold peanuts in the grand scheme of things, they're talking about the album's quality. Which I think was pretentious and mediocre. 

4 hours ago, Josip said:

No wonder the first five artists are black. Given the current climate in the U.S., you already have a great album given the fact you're Afro-american and your people are being killed every day.

Annoying. 

Don't know if you were being serious or sarcastic here but if it was the latter, I kinda see your point. Now is the most timely moment to make an album about black rights and a lot of them are taking advantage of it to great effect. It's a guaranteed money spinner right now. I'm all for talking about an important social issue through music but when so many of them are doing it, it all becomes a bit transparent, a bit too obvious, playing the race card to get sales and critical acclaim. I mean, we're in a period where any criticism you give to a minority, no matter how valid (and even if you direct the same criticism at a white person) is cited as racism, so to give a negative review to a black artist's album about the black struggle will have you painted as a monster. So, it seems like the best way to go to get an acclaimed album because people are too scared to say any different. Out of all the albums I listened to this year where race was a huge theme, the most decent one was Common's, Beyonce's a close second. But that was it. Everything else had too many mediocre songs, weak beats, just trying too hard. Just like any other album with different topics. Yet, they all got praised. Makes you wonder if it's all genuine or there was pressure at hand.

elijahfan

Well, that's basically the albums with the strongest reviews - overrated means they shouldn't deserve those good reviews, and I don't think it's the case for any of those entries. Weird list tbh.

Archived