💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Lady Gaga's Sexist Subtext

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

Gracious Gaga

EDIT:

I would now like to preface this post with some personal insight as to why I feel the way I feel about phrases like the ones Gaga (and many other people) uses at times:  Growing up as a gay boy, I faced a lot of prejudicial treatment because, in many close minded people's eyes, my personality didn't seem to match up with my gender.  I wasn't like most boys.  I didn't find girls sexually attractive, didn't like sports, action heroes, or other things typically associated to be designed for boys.  I was always on the softer side, sensitive, and I tended to be interested in things that were typically associated to be for girls.  People would call me a sissy.  Today I can ask, was I really a sissy though?  Or does society have it engrained in their mind that people like me are?  Back then, that would make me feel like there was something wrong with me...it would make me feel like I wasn't a real "boy", like I was less than, like I didn't fit in, and like I needed to change.  I felt like in order to fit in that I had to be a product of society and be "manly" and tough and strong and just something I truly wasn't.  So, I never really felt comfortable being myself.  SO OFTEN I would hear people tell me "boys don't cry" or been told I need to "man up, have some balls" and for a very long time I felt that I had to suppress my emotions and hide them due to the fear of showing potential signs of weakness.  However, today now I know I was never weak.  I was just human and I felt things EVERYBODY feels regardless of gender but BECAUSE of my gender, I felt obliged to go about expressing my emotions in an unauthentic way.  The reason for this thread is because I dream of a world were no boy, or girl, ever has to grow up living under the influence of such stupid phrases, sayings, or expressions.  To some, this may not be a real issue, but for others you never know how deep words can cut.

A lot of people on this thread are coming off as very anti supportive of my hopes for a better future in society.  I'm not doing anything wrong or harmful, no intentions of hurting anyone or to deflate anyone's dreams.  It actually feels like many people here are making fun of me and trying to belittle me.  In my opinion, such a person is a bully and the exact representation of everything lady gaga probably wouldn't have wanted her fans to treat others during the BTW era.  Hopefully one day we can live in peace.

Please remember this post is not completely directed towards and ONLY about what Lady Gaga has said, but a reflection of issues in ALL of society.

ORIGINAL POST:

Is Gaga completely unaware of the sexually objectifying subtext behind her words at times?

If you watch the video above, she discusses Mark Ronson and her father crying, but disclaims it as "manly cries".   It upsets me she finds it worth defending these two men's emotions...had she shown the song to her mother and sister, she would feel no need to defend any tears they may shed.  

And this is not the first time Gaga has made such remarks.. In another interview she stated "that person has balls" while speaking of someone being brave.  And in a more recent she stated she would give a chance to anyone who "has the balls" to approach her and ask her on a date.  

In my perspective I find this highly offensive, as I am led to believe Lady Gaga, like many others, subconsciously gives into gender stereotyping.  I am disappointed in her because after the BTW era, I would assume that she would be a little bit more aware and considerate of these issues.

While I'm sure she has no intentions (or is even aware of) coming off this way... I personally think someone who once was an advocate for the LGBT community and frequently sings of feminism should refrain from using such ignorant statements.

Sayings like "have some balls" or "man up" are POLITICALLY INCORRECT.  

They suggest power and dominance in the male gender only and do not support gender EQUALITY.

For those who think I'm reaching, I am not.  It is the exact same as someone saying "that's so gay/retarded" when meaning something is perhaps stupid or uncool.  Those kinds of phrases are destructive and unacceptable.  They always have been, always will be, and NEED TO STOP.

i know she doesn't mean any harm...but she does not realize how harmful her words really are. 

If her words don't harm YOU, it still does not make it acceptable because it is insensitive towards the people who ARE harmed by it.  

♥ Kindness Police.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swan Heart

You're looking too much into it, I think.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

You're overthinking it. 

Some of those things just comes as lingo from New York. I'm sure Gaga understands LGBT culture. And I'm sure she understands the difference between nuanced lingo and outright prejudices. 

Associating balls with bravery has been common American slang for ages. Everyone says it. In fact, I hear girls say it more often than guys. I've never known anyone to find it offensive.

Gracious Gaga

I'm not overthinking because it's things like this that remind people that there is a separation between gender and personality types.  It needs to be STOPPED, not brushed aside, guys.

♥ Kindness Police.

DeanWinchester

Gaga: *risks her career for an entire album dedicated to sexual equality and constantly preaches about it, creates a foundation to support everyone, empowers the oppressed, attends pride parades*

people: is she slightly sexist?

:toofunny:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Iwontell

When I see this kind of thing, I confess there's a lil' part of me that wants Trump to win, just to counteract it...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

yah you pretty much right, but at the end of the day shes a straight girl so... judge her nicely, gagz is cool and more intelligent and informed than most

Spanish Eyes

Everyone (even women) is slightly sexist to an extent. Not because we are bad people inherently, but because patriarchal standards dictate how we are socialized. It's our job as educated individuals not to ignore this within ourselves, but to un-learn it. 

Considering throughout this promo era she's been talking about her producers as if she was eternally grateful that men would bother to work with her, it's not sexist. She's been talking borderline "YES MASTA, YES MASTA. LET ME COOK FOR YOU, MY MASTA"

Gracious Gaga
4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Associating balls with bravery has been common American slang for ages. Everyone says it. In fact, I hear girls say it more often than guys. I've never known anyone to find it offensive.

I'm aware of this and it needs to stop.  Saying like "have some balls" or "man up" are POLITICALLY INCORRECT.  

They suggest power and dominance in the male gender only and do not support gender EQUALITY.

♥ Kindness Police.

Archived