Lady Gaga's Sexist Subtext

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Klonoa

In my language we don't say balls, we say breast :laughga:

(chest actually, but is the same word as breast)

SarahYuko

I agree with everything you said. I think it's quite dangerous, though, to post this here to people who have little to no understanding or empathy for such issues. I know what you mean when you say it's harmful and offensive to talk about "man tears" and "having balls".

Even outside of Gaga's words quoted here, we use or hear phrases with underlying sexist, ableist and even racist tones everyday and it's good to educate ourselves on these matters. The smallest contributions towards removal of these mindsets matter, even if it's just to refrain from using these phrases.

You don't know that it's harmful, or that it adds to already existent common mindsets that are biased, and so you mean no harm. However, your intentions do not have effects like your words do. Please be careful in the way you describe or consider things. Even if you disagree, at least to avoid offending or hurting anyone else. There's no harm in being kind.

SarahYuko
5 hours ago, Infinity Wave said:

Excuse me if I made you feel that way, it was not my intention :excited2:

I didn't want to make fun of you, neither to insult you, I respect your feelings and opinions, we just have very differnt opinions!

I don't think I'm not someone Gaga don't want as a fan, I believe in equality and would love the world to live in peace, with no one insulting no one else but respecting him/her. I just don't think that's the way of reaching that worldwide peace we all dream about... we should fight against real sexism and real harmful expression or thoughts.

Edit: reading my posts again made me realize I've actually been disrespectful towards your opinion. Sorry for that

I know you mean well. But this post (while a little melodramatic) is not misandry, in any way. Nor is it pointing out an irrelevant issue. It's something very small that is a part of something very big. We don't completely disregard patients of cuts just because there are patients with stabs and amputations, "real" patients with "real" issues. Likewise, while we actively oppose child marriage, dowries and honour killings, it's very important to educate ourselves on the little things that cause these sexist mindsets to exist in the first place. The big issues are built on little issues, each of which can and should be addressed, in order to have progress. They're all real.

Edit: I don't mean to be rude Or anything :sweat: Just wanted to clarify, because especially being from a third-world country, I get very passionate about these things.

Gracious Gaga
2 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

I just wanna point out to you that it's not just "gay boys" that go thru that type of gender role ****. I'm str8 and people did the same thing to me.

I know.  I just want to point out to you that i said "personal" insight, therefore this is coming from my perspective and my own experiences.  I am completely aware that straight boys go through this too and you are completely right, I think regardless of sexuality or gender it is awful for anyone to have to suffer from the BS.

♄ Kindness Police.

Gracious Gaga
2 hours ago, LePetitMonstr said:

You think this is sexist?:sharon:

You think this is a subject to laugh at?  Reread the entire OP- I just updated it and left a special message in there for you.  

♄ Kindness Police.

Gracious Gaga
50 minutes ago, SarahYuko said:

I agree with everything you said. I think it's quite dangerous, though, to post this here to people who have little to no understanding or empathy for such issues. I know what you mean when you say it's harmful and offensive to talk about "man tears" and "having balls".

Even outside of Gaga's words quoted here, we use or hear phrases with underlying sexist, ableist and even racist tones everyday and it's good to educate ourselves on these matters. The smallest contributions towards removal of these mindsets matter, even if it's just to refrain from using these phrases.

You don't know that it's harmful, or that it adds to already existent common mindsets that are biased, and so you mean no harm. However, your intentions do not have effects like your words do. Please be careful in the way you describe or consider things. Even if you disagree, at least to avoid offending or hurting anyone else. There's no harm in being kind.

Thank you, beautiful.

♄ Kindness Police.

14 hours ago, Avril said:

I've noticed that some trans folks really dislike the term transsexual, but as a trans woman I personally have no problem with the word and I do not consider it to be offensive in general... I guess you'd be better off using "trans men/women/people" just to avoid the PC police. I don't have an issue with the word tranny either (and I use it sometimes when joking around), but that's one word you should be careful with if you use it. :sis:

Btw I agree with you on non-binary people. They should obviously be respected and allowed to live their lives the way they want to, but there's no scientifical evidence. And you're right saying being trans is abnormal. People just get mad cause they assume that abnormal = bad. :saladga: 

---

When will this trainwreck of a thread end? :oprah: I know I'm not helping but :oprah: 

Thank you so much for your comment :) and these people who believe in that stuff could be right but evidence and science tells us otherwise at the moment. If they choose to not believe in science thats fine, just dont attack us and accuse us of horrible things when all we are doing is believing the facts. Facts and evidence will help the transgender society more specially when transgenders have a extremely high suicide rate.

20 hours ago, Joanne Angelina said:

@faysalaaa1 I agree with you, ignorant and close-minded people do get shocked whenever they are introduced to some new concept, and think it's abnormal. Also, since you and I have completely different knowledge and ideas on how the Govt., feminism and science works, I think there is no point in taking this discussion further. By the way, the term is non-binary, not none binary. Have a nice day.

Its abnormal not because its a new concept and idea, its abnormal because it happens to less than 0% of human beings. I prefer saying none binary, it looks better to me.

You have a different idea about how science works? lol how do you think science works? do you base your science and facts on emotions? do you base your science on what you learn from gender classes and safe spaces? yeah I base my science on what science actually is and what all scientists say. you sound like these crazy mentally ill conservatives that deny global warming and evolution and have their own stupid scientists to prove that what they are saying is true.. yes that is you :)

On 9/28/2016 at 8:53 PM, Iwontell said:

People like me: black; gay; liberal; has ACTUALLY helped trans ppl change their names, women divorce abusive husbands, children get alimony that they were being denied...and all that pro-bono, you know, not just preachy tumblr attitude...

So yeah, fvck off...

May Popsus bless u with RO's scrapped Gaga material:giveup:

it wasn't laaaahv

Duella Dvil

Call out people who's heart have bad intent with these phrases. Not those who try to work towards a brighter future equality.

I understand your long standing trauma, but to nitpick her on it is like saying that a nun should never take her clothes off for that is a sin, so she should just **** in her robes.

Expression that has ill intent, shame that.

You have some points! But you also have some points based in emotion and over analysis, which is going to damn any validity unfortunately.

www.instagram.com/theduella666

Gracious Gaga
1 hour ago, Uncle ARTPOP said:

Call out people who's heart have bad intent with these phrases. Not those who try to work towards a brighter future equality.

I understand your long standing trauma, but to nitpick her on it is like saying that a nun should never take her clothes off for that is a sin, so she should just **** in her robes.

Expression that has ill intent, shame that.

You have some points! But you also have some points based in emotion and over analysis, which is going to damn any validity unfortunately.

Hi thank you!  Please understand the point I'm trying to get across: I know Gaga's intent when uses these phrases.  I know she means well.  But intents aside, the phrases alone will always be problematic.  I dream of a world where such phrases don't exist and only accuracy is spoken.  Wouldn't it be nicer if instead of saying "have some balls/man up" people would just actually say what they mean and say "toughen up, be brave".  It's more along the lines of verbal/intent accuracy.  I hope that makes sense hahaha.

also (as stated in the OP)

Please remember this post is not completely directed towards and ONLY about what Lady Gaga has said, but a reflection of issues in ALL of society.

♄ Kindness Police.

I have experienced what you have when you are young, and I still face it now... but this is how society works. We are always asking what a person should be or should do..

And so society thinks a man should not cry because it shows a sign of weakness. A man should not act like a sissy because how can he withstand pressure if he falters so easily like a withering flower?

But obviously, not everyone can fit the same mould. And what we have to do is recognise that yes we are not manly when we cry; yes we act like a sissy; but we are still strong within and we can withstand the pressure.

It is OK to be weak and be a sissy. It is in your nature to act that way. Somethings can't be changed.

What I disagree is to deny the fact that acting like a sissy is not acting like a sissy. That's just calling things not what they are but cloaking it in a protective layer like the patriarchy.

Gracious Gaga
45 minutes ago, Dayum said:

" but this is how society works."

Hi thank you!  I understand where you are coming from and appreciate you for respectfully sharing your perspective.  

I think this is how society functions, but I don't think that means it is working.  I, and many others, find it to be problematic and unjust.  I hope one day we can find a way for society to actually work.  The objective of my thread is to hopefully encourage people to accept that, you're right, it is totally okay to be weak at times, to be a sissy, however, I don't think it's okay when one gets scrutinized for it due to their sex/gender. 

Also when you say "we are not manly when we cry" I think you mean we are not tough in that exact moment.  Please understand how "manly" is a very subjective adjective.   

♄ Kindness Police.

Seeka

This reminds me of the Madonna sex thread. far too long in the tooth to do anymore good, and your image has already be ruined. No one will take you seriously anymore. There's no amount of edits that can be made to fix this. you're better off asking a mod to delete this thread.

11 minutes ago, Gracious Gaga said:

I, and many others, find it to be problematic and unjust.

It is problematic. But like many others on this thread, the extent of the problem is very minimal, at least to most people who are told the same. I'm not good with providing analogy according to GGD members, but what you're requesting is almost like asking a boy to stay at home because of a drizzle, or because there is wind, or the sun is a bit shiny.

Archived