Apple Music

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

science

'3 parent' baby born (with new technique)

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

The baby boy was born on April 6 in Mexico, having been conceived using a technique called spindle nuclear transfer.

As reported in the journal Fertility and Sterility, the use of this reproductive technology was intended to prevent Leigh syndrome, a severe neurological condition that affects at least one in 40,000 newborns.

The mother previously had four pregnancy losses and had given birth to two children, one who survived less than a year, another who lived only 6 years due to the syndrome. For religious reasons, the mother wanted to use a technique that would not require the destruction of fertilized eggs, which an approved treatment in the United Kingdom would require.

The article is too long, but basically the baby has another woman's mitochondrial DNA, read the entire article here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/27/health/3-parent-baby/index.html?sr=fbCNN0928163-parent-baby0243AMVODtopLink&linkId=29273233

For the debt I owe, gotta sell my soul, 'Cause I can't say no, no, I can't say no

PartySick

That kid is going to have so much fun growing up and telling people they have two moms and a dad.

Our capabilities never cease to amaze me though :flutter:

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me. I don't need you to love me, I love me.

sexfashionfame

To those who will say that this could cause a mutation in the human gene pool just know that a child receives its mother's mitochondrial DNA, and since this child is a boy there is no chance he will pass on his mitochondrial DNA (from the second mother).