💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The J-Pop Thread

Sunny

Featured Posts

PoshLife
5 hours ago, YURl said:

Yas let us know how they are! I hope you have fun!

I'll write more tomorrow but the concert was great! On the train now and so tired. And deaf haha

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PoshLife

Yesterday I went to the gallery and the concert. I'm still sort of 'unpacking' it but wanted to share my thoughts:

So in the afternoon I went to the gallery. It was pretty small but had a LOT of stuff. Costumes from five or six different videos (Spending All My Time, Magic of Love, Flash, Spring of Life, and a few others I'm forgetting). I was so happy the SAMT outfits were there:

J0tOr4R.jpg

It also had a lot of posters, cds, magazines, and photos. We were allowed to take pictures so I took a bunch. Definitely worth the $10.

I got to the Hammerstein Ballroom right when the doors were opening at 7pm. The line was like eight blocks long haha, but moved pretty quickly. I was inside, ticket scanned, and at my seat by like 7:40. I was in the first balcony, front row just left-of-center. I was basically sitting next to the cameraman. Couldn't have asked for a better seat.

The show itself was quite phenomenal. I don't always love going to concerts cuz they're so loud and crowded (hence not doing GA), but I was extremely glad I went to this. They did almost all of my very favorite songs, and some songs I don't love sounded really good live. They did almost all of the "Cosmic Explorer" album, as well as generally one song from each previous era. There was plenty of audience interaction, and the girls' fun and excitable personalities really came through. And the show had just enough cutesy weirdness to be a genuinely Japanese show.

Some random notes from the show:

-I was SO happy that they did almost all of Spending All My Time. I was worried they'd only do like thirty seconds of it because it was in a medley, but they did most of the song. It was so cool to see the choreography live.

-Cling Cling, a song I don't really love, was surprisingly good live. The concert instrumentation made it a bigger and better song, with a heavier and more danceable beat and that kind of thing.

-Dream Fighter was definitely the crowd favorite! I'm not so familiar with Perfume's older work, but the crowd went insane for this song.

-Miracle Worker also really got people going. I swear that dance break gives me my life. I was happy to see so many other people loving it given that it wasn't a single.

-Next Stage With YOU sort of bombed. Like, you could kind of tell the crowd wasn't as into it as with all the other songs. Even the girls seemed to have less fun with that song, especially since the choreo is mostly just steering wheel motions. Maybe I'm just projecting though haha.

-Some people wore really good costumes! There was a trio wearing the Magic of Love costumes, a trio wearing Spring of Life light-up costumes, and some people wearing Spending All My Time costumes. There was also a trio up in the balcony wearing what looked like Cling Cling costumes (but maybe wasn't), and I felt bad they didn't get the girls' attention.

-There was some funny audience interaction, including a call-and-answer "Steak House" thing, and a weird song about brushing your  teeth. We also had to do some weird "apple, apple, banana, banana, CHEESEBURGER" chant thing haha. It was so weird.

-They kept saying not to take pictures, but there was no security around me so I was able to take a lot of pictures (all of which came out terrible because my phone takes bad pictures haha), as well as some video clips.

• 2 weeks later...
PoshLife

Listen to the first two minutes of Utada Hikaru's new song, "Michi"! It will be the opening track of her new album, Fantome, out September 28. Chorus is 1:00-1:30

I think it sounds so good :giveup: Like something out of the Deep River era.

The pre-order on JP iTunes will get 2 new songs both are goooood :giveup:

And one of that is a duet with.my other fave in J-Pop, Sheena Ringo :giveup:

Talent supports talent :giveup:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

PoshLife
Just now, RAMROD said:

The pre-order on JP iTunes will get 2 new songs both are goooood :giveup:

And one of that is a duet with.my other fave in J-Pop, Sheena Ringo :giveup:

Talent supports talent :giveup:

The song with Shiina Ringo is SO good:

This is also definitely gonna be Utada's best video since the Ultra Blue era

Just now, PoshLife said:

The song with Shiina Ringo is SO good:

This is also definitely gonna be Utada's best video since the Ultra Blue era

I agree!

Their vocals really compliments each other :applause:

All these long wait for an album will be worth it tbh!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

PoshLife

Just got a brief description of every song we haven't heard yet on Utada's new album:

“Ore no Kanojo” 

Starts with a double bass sound. Adds in strings and a ‘band sound,’ and has the scent of a blues track. Lyrically, Utada performs as both a male and female character on the song.

“Ningyo”

Accompanied by a live harp and drums, “Ningyo” is beautiful. Quite adventurous for a pop song to include just vocals, a harp, and drums, but “Ningyo” succeeds

“Tomodachi with Nariaki Obukuro”

The track starts with some programmed drums. Alongside “Michi,” this song really seems to symbolize the album. Features a brass arrangement that was done by Utada herself. Makes one wonder what sort of music she was listening to during her hiatus.

“Kayou no Ookami”

Utada’s own breath is used as part of the beat. The brass section and strings sound as if they’re swirling around the track. Very soulful singing from Utada. The way that the drum and bass repeat and create an almost breakbeat rhythm, giving it a slight hip-hop feel.

“Boukyaku feat. KOHH”

KOHH’s rap draws from this idea of the space between life and death, and Utada’s vocal sound very lonely and yet raw. Heat and coldness, hard and soft, and then life and death. This contrast is illuminated through KOHH’s rapping and Utada’s vocals. The track starts w/ a beat programmed by Utada. It has a very tribal feel. Gives imagination to the idea of death. Could be the most controversial song on Fantome.

“Jinsei Saikou no Hi”

The programmed drums are very charming, and this could be the airiest song on the album. It’s amazing how Utada can so casually drop a perfect pop song like this, especially after a song like “Boukyaku feat. KOHH”

PoshLife

Perfume gave an interview and said nice things about Utada:

Utada Hikaru, someone else who helped spread J-pop, is making a comeback. Were you fans or inspired by her?
A-Chan: We all loved her—we're very much the Utada Generation. One of the first songs we practiced after school was "Automatic." We were told, "Express this song with your body!"
Nocchi: We didn't have any singing or dance lessons at the time, but were told to "express it." That's one of our earliest memories as a group and of Utada. We're very excited for her comeback.

Source: http://www.fuse.tv/2016/09/perfume-interview-cosmic-explorer-tour-utada-pentatonix

They were also asked which songs define them as a group:

Three of you make up Perfume. What are the three songs that you think best define the group?
Nocchi: "Chocolate Disco." It seems like everyone's favorite wherever we go, everyone gets excited. It's a very call-and-response song. 
Kashiyuka: "Star Train." It's like our history compiled into one song. We've had some songs where we thought, "Oh, maybe [Perfume producer/songwriter] Yasutaka Nakata wrote this about us?" but we were never really sure. This one it was just really direct, it was about us. It felt like he was with throughout the last 15 years. It's about our past and our future in one song. It's a very good song.
A-Chan: "Spending All My Time." It's a very simple song with a great melody and the performance incorporates vogueing. I really like that video. But what's memorable about this song is that we performed this song with the projection mapping at the 2013 Cannes Lions [International Festival of Creativity] and we won an interactive award here. 

• 2 weeks later...
PoshLife
Just now, Viola said:

Rise like Bi Rain out of bed

I thought this was the KPop thread and when I scrolled up to see the last post was an Utada performance I was like "wait, what day is it :duck: "

27 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I thought this was the KPop thread and when I scrolled up to see the last post was an Utada performance I was like "wait, what day is it :duck: "

:toofunny:

The nostalgia 

First jpop song I ever liked/heard. Ending song of the first season of Inuyasha. Used to stay up late and watch it on adult swim as a kid.

Nnn this came out in 2000. 

#FeelinOld 

Edit: This is technically jrock but I love this song

Pantsu Nugeru Mon | Have Some Bi Rain

PoshLife

@Viola I might start using this thread more cuz I don't care nearly as much about KPop these days as I used to, especially the groups people are talking about right now :emma: 

23 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

@Viola I might start using this thread more cuz I don't care nearly as much about KPop these days as I used to, especially the groups people are talking about right now :emma: 

Nnnnn

Spoiler

The kpop thread has been overrun with EXO posts :emma:

Same here :emma: Other than my IU posts most of mine in the kpop thread have been about jpop :rip: 

Trying to be a good Little Cosmic Explorer and spreading the word about Perfume to my friends :emma:

I tried with some kpop groups but this is different

Its Perfume 

Pantsu Nugeru Mon | Have Some Bi Rain

PoshLife
1 minute ago, Viola said:

Nnnnn

Reveal hidden contents

The kpop thread has been overrun with EXO posts :emma:

Same here :emma: Other than my IU posts most of mine in the kpop thread have been about jpop :rip: 

Trying to be a good Little Cosmic Explorer and spreading the word about Perfume to my friends :emma:

I tried with some kpop groups but this is different

Its Perfume 

It's like all these groups I don't care about :rip: Mamamoo, BlackPink, some boy groups... obvi they can talk about whatever they want but these days I just ignore the kpop thread notifications haha

I feel like Americans would enjoy Cosmic Explorer, there's a lot of like dance music and such. It's really catchy. And it's just three girls not like 20

Also I haven't really listened to Perfume that much since Utada came out. Fantome is sort of all I listen to right now lol

Archived