💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

The Downfall of Ellie Goulding

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

On August 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM, ReidOne said:

Agreed, at the end of the day she is doing great! And I'm happy for her (because she is talented). She's just not my cup of tea. But she deserves success. 

And I wish she would have got Ariana's bop "Into You" so at least it would have had half a chance at success :tea:

Into You was originally for Ellie?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ZiggyZiggs
On 08/08/2016 at 8:49 AM, LanasNerfGun said:

I really liked Delirium undeserved floppage imo she had bops

True. it was a pretty solid album tbh

ZiggyZiggs
7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Into You was originally for Ellie?

Mybe i guess so. makes sense since Max Martin produced the track and he also produced Delirium

StrawberryBlond

I've noticed this too. The weird thing is, even with LMLYD being a massive hit, it doesn't seem to have helped her career at all - she's actually performing worse than ever. I don't get how you can do worse after a mega hit like that. I was shocked when OMM failed to go top 3 in the UK, even missing the top 5. And I was absolutely flabbergasted when she could only reach a peak of #3 in the albums chart in her opening week, her worst opening week to date, considering how her previous albums were multi platinum and she'd built up a solid fanbase. Her UK numbers have been just terrible thus far. And after that, it just went downhill even more with little to no promo and no solid idea for the next single and the next minute, she announced she was taking a break after this album (a classic thing for a singer to do after a big flop).

What gets me about Ellie is that she started out so indie, but she started to get a big more mainstream with the re-release of Halcyon (the first warning sign) and then after her big "hot" makeover, she seemed to descend full-force into generic pop with another Calvin collab and the mediocre Delirium. She said she wanted to make a big pop album but it just turned out to be a generic, forgettable mess. She wanted that commercial success so badly that she sacrificed her music quality and as it turned out, it was the biggest mistake she could've made. I think people simply liked Ellie when she was indie. That was the real her. Sometimes, going generic isn't the answer. It works for some but not for others and in Ellie's case, it turned her fans against her. I really liked Halcyon, even the re-release was good, if more generic, but her other albums just don't do it for me. I had such high hopes for her after Halcyon but she let me down big time.

Ambrosia

I love Ellie.  She is like a breath of fresh pop music air.  I will continue to enjoy her music and look forward to the day she returns, which hopefully she will one day.  A break may do some good.  I just like what I like and really, pay no attention to chart success or what others think.  I'm much happier this way.  I think if I constantly poured over the charts and concerned myself with what number which song fell to, it would zap all the fun and liveliness out of music.  All music - not just Ellie's. 

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

TheFame Monster
On Monday, August 08, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Klou said:

Her team waited too long to release On My Mind after LMLYD. She should have done like The Weeknd and released RIGHT after. It's that combined with lack of promo, crappy videos for 2nd and 3rd single, and poor single choices. 

It's a great album and she sold more than most female pop singers do and had a successful arena tour, but the era could have been so much bigger. It's a shame.

Spot on. I overplayed the $ out of the album. I was expecting the lead single after LMLYD. She promoted On My Mind, but it was late. SITWYM and Army's videos were crap. Army should have never been the 3rd single. She's lucky radio ate up SITWYM. The album was full of hits. I think of it as a electronic-dance-infused-1989.  It had the potential to be as big and last as long as 1989.    

The singles should have been:

On My Mind

Something in the Way You Move

Codes

Don't Panic/Lost and Found 

Keep On Dancing was supposed to be released as a single with a remix, but it looks like it was scrapped.  

42 minutes ago, TheFame Monster said:

Spot on. I overplayed the $ out of the album. I was expecting the lead single after LMLYD. She promoted On My Mind, but it was late. SITWYM and Army's videos were crap. Army should have never been the 3rd single. She's lucky radio ate up SITWYM. The album was full of hits. I think of it as a electronic-dance-infused-1989.  It had the potential to be as big and last as long as 1989.    

The singles should have been:

On My Mind

Something in the Way You Move

Codes

Don't Panic/Lost and Found 

Keep On Dancing was supposed to be released as a single with a remix, but it looks like it was scrapped.  

We definitely see eye to eye. Army was the nail in the coffin. And why didn't the UK even get a third single??? Such a mess considering even Army did well there. 

TheFame Monster
32 minutes ago, Klou said:

We definitely see eye to eye. Army was the nail in the coffin. And why didn't the UK even get a third single??? Such a mess considering even Army did well there. 

I think they really messed up by not making the singles parallel worldwide. Like how they released Army in the UK and then released SITWYM two weeks later in the US. And then in April decided to release Army in the US.     

Archived