Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Who is the most deserving of VMA Vanguard Award?

JerellM

Who should be awarded the Vma Vanguard Award?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be awarded the Vma Vanguard Award?

Featured Posts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Babel
10 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Well, ok, but we all know JD took a long time to even debut on any charts. Months after release it only got the #76 position on the Hot 100. It wasn't even released in most areas until June and not even in the UK until December. IKAG was released worldwide immediately and entered charts within its first week - she actually became the highest debuting new artist in over five years!

Their releases and chart achievements were too close to make any difference nowadays and favor one or the other for this award imo.  :huh: 

As of today, Gaga has a lot more accolades and records on the VMAs than Katy. By only counting the awards obtained, Gaga has won 13 times and has been nominated 26 times, making herself the third artist with the most wins of all time (only behind Madonna and Beyoncé, who already won this award). Katy has only won 5 times, and she's not even at the top 20 of the list.:shrug: The only winner of the Vanguard award of the last years that doesn't appear on this list is Kanye West, but he probably has more credit for the excellence of his videos than the other recent winners altogether. :laughga: At the end I think Gaga deserves it more than Katy. And I'm not saying she doesn't deserves it too, but she hasn't reached the level of Gaga or the other previous winners just yet.

Ronlop
35 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I mean, I get your perspective. But you're thinking of these music video's as a fan. When you're discussing award shows and honors that's not the perspective to take. Look at the people who won the Video Vanguard Award. I don't think anyone besides Bowie, Lester (for The Beatles), Godley and Creme, Rybczyński, and Michael, truly deserved it. Ever. Not even Madonna, who won in ****ing 1986 when she hadn't even made really impressive stuff yet. After that only Britney comes close, but she had stopped making interesting video's for many years before she won, which makes her win ludicrous too. Kanye's win was deserved but by that time the award had become so vapid that his win felt like forced, and not inspired.

I can get that argument. 

This is an award given to artists who are known for having notable music video's, and for having the music video as an integral part of their success and appeal. Katy is as much of a valid candidate as Gaga, easily. Now cut this absurd art crap. This is not about who makes better music video's. If you're truly and genuinely interested in artistic music video's (which you are clearly not if you consider Gaga's mv's to display veritable art currents), there are LOTS of artists and bands out there who work with directors that are really the people who should be talked about in the context of music video awards, and they're not. I accept that because this is pop music. It's time a lot of Gaga fans realized that as well. 

Will you stop with your "I know alot of indie artists who are tens times better than pop stars!!111" thing you've been ranting since forever. We all get it. You are interested in several amount of artists- commercial and non-commercial. You don't need to repeat that to make your argument stronger. 

I never said anything about other unpopular artists. I've based my argument on the fact that Gaga is a commercial artist and she, in my opinion, challenged the status quo in pop in several ways. One of them being her music videos. 

You're not stanning for Proust, you're stanning for a pop artist whose creative team behind her is the only reason you get to play the art card, solely to slam other people's favorite pop singers.

It's ridiculous to think Gaga had 0 input in everything she created. However, even if you were right- what the hell does it have to do with our discussion?

Maybe you should stop thinking you're superior over pop fans here when you're in fact just like any of us. As if we don't know what we're stanning for, right? But you do. Of course you do.

Didymus
1 hour ago, Ronlop said:

Maybe you should stop thinking you're superior over pop fans here when you're in fact just like any of us.

lol I know I never did that or express that line of thought on this forum.

If anything, I'm trying to get Gaga fans to realize they're not superior over other pop fans on a daily basis because they think they're stanning for someone who put, to use a sentence from your own posts, "absurd art and surrealism in the forefront".

It makes absolutely no sense for you to say you get the argument you quoted above, and then to attack me for being elitist. Those two responses can't co-exist. The whole reason I bring up non-commercial artists is because your main argument for Gaga deserving it more is because Gaga incorporates non-mainstream styles and references in her video's, as if that matters to win the Video Vanguard Award nowadays. It doesn't.

Katy and Gaga will both win the award, no question, I just prefer to have Gaga win it a little later. So can you drop the campaign against me here, you started quoting me acting like I was claiming that Katy deserved it more based on quality, which you knew was already not an element in my own reasoning, so why the **** are you talking to me in the first place.

Didymus
1 hour ago, HugoMonster said:

Their releases and chart achievements were too close to make any difference nowadays and favor one or the other for this award imo.  :huh: 

As of today, Gaga has a lot more accolades and records on the VMAs than Katy. By only counting the awards obtained, Gaga has won 13 times and has been nominated 26 times, making herself the third artist with the most wins of all time (only behind Madonna and Beyoncé, who already won this award). Katy has only won 5 times, and she's not even at the top 20 of the list.:shrug: The only winner of the Vanguard award of the last years that doesn't appear on this list is Kanye West, but he probably has more credit for the excellence of his videos than the other recent winners altogether. :laughga: At the end I think Gaga deserves it more than Katy. And I'm not saying she doesn't deserves it too, but she hasn't reached the level of Gaga or the other previous winners just yet.

Ok, I see all that and don't disagree, but I would still prefer for Gaga to win later. Madonna won the award in 1986 and her best mv's were still to come. That obviously won't seriously happen with people like Katy and Selena or whatever. They're just great music video artists, end of story. For an artist like Gaga to win something like this, I prefer it to be a big lifetime achievement thing. Just my own take on things.

Creyk

Katy has the best videography of the main pop girls, I mean she puts out quality every time. (let's pretend Birthday video doesn't exist). Even her lyric videos are top notch. For this reason she is the most deserving, but maybe it's too early for her. She did not peaked yet. :unicorn:

high heeled fem
2 hours ago, dancergaga said:

Cant believe I'm gonna say this but I think Madonna should get it

Same :giveup: the last album rebel heart had some of her best songs since ray of light ... Some of the songs felt like you were back in the 90s!!!!!!!! Her best album since then 

MaryJaneHolland
3 hours ago, bionic said:

Kylie Minogue

Failing that, Pink or Xtina

23lhx0o.jpg

Anderson123

I can't believe Britney got an award like this before Madonna.

Edit: Woops! I was wrong.

Wixson
15 minutes ago, Alan123 said:

I can't believe Britney got an award like this before Madonna.

She got it 30 years ago. :koons:

Anderson123
10 minutes ago, Wixson said:

She got it 30 years ago. :koons:

Woops, you're right. I went through the wikipedia page and somehow didn't see her name at first. My bad!

holy scheisse
On 7/26/2016 at 0:21 PM, Didymus said:

The order should be:

1. Rihanna
2. Katy Perry
3. Lady Gaga

And not because Katy's better but because she came out with a single earlier than Gaga so it would be fair career wise, plus I think Gaga has a bit left to prove music video wise. Her work post-2010 has clearly suffered in that department, and Katy has a lot more too by now.

are you speaking abouot the queen of reviving music videos, inspiring the rest of their contemporaries to step their games up????????? the one who worked with beyonce on telephone and suddenly beyonce makes phenom videos for like every song? BTW has awesome videos and, TFM's videos are literally pop cultural masterpieces!! 

SURE JAN

but i do agree that she didnt make enough videos for ARTPOP

Bellatrix

None of those yet.

Madonna should get it again as she has made some iconic videos after she won the first time.

Archived