Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Who is the most deserving of VMA Vanguard Award?

JerellM

Who should be awarded the Vma Vanguard Award?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be awarded the Vma Vanguard Award?

Featured Posts

Ronlop
17 minutes ago, Didymus said:

The order should be:

1. Rihanna
2. Katy Perry
3. Lady Gaga

And not because Katy's better but because she came out with a single earlier than Gaga so it would be fair career wise, plus I think Gaga has a bit left to prove music video wise. Her work post-2010 has clearly suffered in that department, and Katy has a lot more too by now.

Quality>Quantity 

That's a lesson in life in general!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus
2 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

Quality>Quantity 

That's a lesson in life in general!

She has a few simply iconic music video's, most of her total amount are above average, and music video's are an integral part of her success, and enduring appeal - that's what the award is about for me. Like it or not, Katy will be known for her music video's probably more than anyone besides Gaga for many years. She deserves that award.

I don't see the problem with Gaga winning a year later, or that being proof that the VMA's value quantity over quality. It's just about timing. I feel like Gaga still has a lot to prove, and now it seems she finally has the chance to make music video's the way she really wants to (again?). I'd like to see her get a few amazing video's again around the time she wins this thing. That's what it's about.

Tumblr

My Order (also the only correct order)

1. Rihanna

- Over a decade of hits and extremely iconic videos. She's the only artist to win VOTY twice! Umbrella, Love the Way You Lie, We Found Love, Rude Boy, S&M, Only Girl, Stay etc etc are all extremely iconic and influential. Most people will know straight away what video a Rihanna hit had. 

2. Lady Gaga

- Making music video's an event again. Extremely artistic and boundary pushing videos like Bad Romance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Telephone, Born This Way and Applause. 

3. Missy Elliott/ Christina Aguilera.

Mariah - Ariana - Rihanna

Ronlop
17 minutes ago, Didymus said:

She has a few simply iconic music video's, most of her total amount are above average, and music video's are an integral part of her success, and enduring appeal - that's what the award is about for me. Like it or not, Katy will be known for her music video's probably more than anyone besides Gaga for many years. She deserves that award.

I don't see the problem with Gaga winning a year later, or that being proof that the VMA's value quantity over quality. It's just about timing. I feel like Gaga still has a lot to prove, and now it seems she finally has the chance to make music video's the way she really wants to (again?). I'd like to see her get a few amazing video's again around the time she wins this thing. That's what it's about.

The difference between Gaga's videos and Katy's is that Gaga managed to make music videos which wouldn't have become mainstream if it wasn't for Gaga's whole package. With Gaga, it was always about bringing art to the front and as much as it sounds pretentious and snobby, Katy's videos offered nothing new to the table.

I am not a Katy Perry hater and she definitely deserves to be rewarded for her commercial success but if it's either her or Gaga, Gaga definitely deserves it alot more.

Yes, Katy has alot more views, alot more hit videos but that's not what this award is about in my opinion. Some of Gaga's videos (which managed to get mainstream) were incredibly innovative for that specific time they were released. If you ask a person how Lady Gaga looks, they'd probably explain some look from one of her videos. Gaga's videos are a huge part in her image.

So if you ask me, it's definitely Gaga before Katy on this one.

Tumblr

If Katy gets the Vanguard Award before Rihanna, Gaga, Xtina, Missy Elliott, Pink or Jennifer Lopez... :emma: VMA's cancelled!

Katy has many good videos but only Firework, Hot n Cold and Thinking of You as great videos.

Didymus
5 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

The difference between Gaga's videos and Katy's is that Gaga managed to make music videos which wouldn't have become mainstream if it wasn't for Gaga's whole package.

What :rip:

I'm gonna need some more argumentation for that one. I see no substantial difference between their total packages. They sell pretty ordinary, but sonically differentiated pop music with a heavy emphasis on often provocative, and generally always striking visuals. Those visuals become mainstream because the music's target audience is mainstream, end of story.

6 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

Some of Gaga's videos (which managed to get mainstream) were incredibly innovative for that specific time they were released.

Name one and explain.

I mean, literally all (and I do mean all) of her music video's were the victim of debate about who Gaga copied this time, and in all (and I do mean all) cases there were plenty of examples to be found. There have always been waves of stylistic music video's followed by periods of more plain, and simplistic ones. So yes, Gaga's music video's will probably be remembered for ushering in a new one of those waves, but that does not make them "incredibly innovative". Gaga does not win that award based upon music video innovation, 'cause.. what the hell did she innovate?

11 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

If you ask a person how Lady Gaga looks, they'd probably explain some look from one of her videos. Gaga's videos are a huge part in her image.

Exactly the same case for Katy, so what's your point with this argument?

BuzzcutSeason

Rihanna or Gaga or Britney

Beyonce shouldn't get the award a second time, lets wait.

15jocart
32 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I agree with this. If Gaga had delivered her promises in the ARTPOP era with more (and better) videos, she may be in the running after only 4 albums. That being said, she gave us one very good video (Applause) and a fan-centric campfest in the form of G.U.Y. (not that I don't enjoy it visually and conceptually, but the execution was a bit :saladga:). And let's not even talk about DWUW....if Gaga gives us high-quality videos for LG5, then I'd say her complete body of work over her career might be deserving of the Video Vanguard Award. Remember people, they don't have to give these out every year. The more they give out, the less the award means.

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Fiona Apple

Gaga but tbh Katy has good videos too... Why are people voting for Rihanna? She is the weakest on the list

Fiona Apple
32 minutes ago, Tumblr said:

My Order (also the only correct order)

1. Rihanna

- Over a decade of hits and extremely iconic videos. She's the only artist to win VOTY twice! Umbrella, Love the Way You Lie, We Found Love, Rude Boy, S&M, Only Girl, Stay etc etc are all extremely iconic and influential. Most people will know straight away what video a Rihanna hit had. 

Most of those videos are generic and boring :stalkga:

Tumblr
2 minutes ago, Britney Spears said:

Most of those videos are generic and boring :stalkga:

Clearly not and critics agree with me :toofunny:

Babel
57 minutes ago, Didymus said:

And not because Katy's better but because she came out with a single earlier than Gaga so it would be fair career wise, plus I think Gaga has a bit left to prove music video wise. Her work post-2010 has clearly suffered in that department, and Katy has a lot more too by now.

But Just Dance was released before I Kissed a Girl. :huh: And her videos became a thing only during Teenage Dream era (post Gaga), so if it's about timing Gaga should receive it first.

Ronlop
14 minutes ago, Didymus said:

What :rip:

I'm gonna need some more argumentation for that one. I see no substantial difference between their total packages. They sell pretty ordinary, but sonically differentiated pop music with a heavy emphasis on often provocative, and generally always striking visuals. Those visuals become mainstream because the music's target audience is mainstream, end of story.

Name one and explain.

I mean, literally all (and I do mean all) of her music video's were the victim of debate about who Gaga copied this time, and in all (and I do mean all) cases there were plenty of examples to be found. There have always been waves of stylistic music video's followed by periods of more plain, and simplistic ones. So yes, Gaga's music video's will probably be remembered for ushering in a new one of those waves, but that does not make them "incredibly innovative". Gaga does not win that award based upon music video innovation, 'cause.. what the hell did she innovate?

Exactly the same case for Katy, so what's your point with this argument?

Gaga is one of the few commercial artists in years who placed absurd art and surrealism into the front. You cannot compare Katy's best videos with Gaga's best videos in absolutely no way. Both in the storylines and visuals. 'Born This Way' is a great example for an incredible conceptual video that reached a mainstream exposure. Show me one video that is even close to Born This Way during that time?  

'Alejandro' and 'Judas' for their religious imagery. Something Katy Perry wouldn't dare to do. Yes, Gaga was rightfully accused of copying Madonna and other artists for these two videos in particular but it's still innovative for that current time in pop culture. Innovative in the sense of bringing back what it meant to make real statements inside music videos. 

Or even 'Paparazzi' that comments on the dark side of being a celebrity. 

I know you're not a fan of 'G.U.Y.' and it's not a great example for a song that reached a mainstream level but it has so many hidden messages in it which I find almost genius.

Katy Perry is also known for her visuals but I believe Gaga should be rewarded for this first purely because she placed a purpose behind her videos and most of them weren't following other trendy videos during that specific time.

Pacify Him
1 hour ago, Prismatic said:

America Bjork & Female MJ

xCf8iyk.png

Why is it a thing to photoshop Katy's face on Björk's :neyde: idgi

I’m getting on your nerves

Archived