Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I hate how young singers nowadays sing with that 'pretentious' voice

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs
1 hour ago, youandi said:

Passenger, Halsey and Shaun Mendez sound nothing like eachother? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say? Just singers who don't sound 'normal'? Not everyone is going to sound the same, different techniques work for different singers :wtf:

You mean you don't realise that pop singers back in the day sing differently from pop singers now?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never a fan of Passenger or that song until I seen him live and tbh, he completely astounded me (and by the sound of it, most of the audience) :emma: , I still wouldn't call myself a fan but I've definitely got a far more positive perspective of him. 

Idk (or care) whether his enunciation is considered problematic, his act is just him and his guitar and he's a great performer :shrug: He's also pretty witty but I'm not sure whether that translates to a non-British/Irish audience.

youandi
6 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

You mean you don't realise that pop singers back in the day sing differently from pop singers now?

No? Everyone does it differently. Did Britney Spears sing the same as Christina back in the day? No. 

RadioIsOurs
Just now, youandi said:

No? Everyone does it differently. Did Britney Spears sing the same as Christina back in the day? No. 

I'm taking about the style. A certain accent and twang that is used commonly in today's music that is not found in older music. Just listen to them. Can't spot it out?

PaperIz
1 hour ago, youandi said:

Passenger, Halsey and Shaun Mendez sound nothing like eachother? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say? Just singers who don't sound 'normal'? Not everyone is going to sound the same, different techniques work for different singers :wtf:

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, RainbowBlonde said:

They just use it when performing. It's their performance 'voice'.

Except they sound like that all the time. I think you just wanna be upset at something.

1 hour ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

WhoopiCant.gif

This killed me, tbh.

and I know exactly what y'all mean.. I just CANNOT bear that kind of singing.

It's exactly why I cannot stand... waitforit

Hide contents

Sia-without-makeup.jpg SIA

I would put her in the same hate-box. :koons: Cannot understand a word of her singing.

I don't understand this :emma: that's just how she sings???¿¿¿

1 hour ago, Andrew Warhola said:

So glad someone mentioned Selena Gomez's Good For You. It's probably the most blatant example of the "indie pop voice". In the entire song and especially the bridge she's not only forcing her voice to sound like she's having a throat spasm but, on top of that, it's been altered afterwards, too, and if you listen to the solo version and only pay attention to her voice, it's almost hard to believe there's a human sound involved in the process.

:awkney: good for you sounds the way it does because she was tired of having to act like she has the strongest voice. It was her trying to figure out how to sing best with her strengths and fits her voice best.

----

In short this whole thread is too damn extra. You guys need to get a grip. Are we so thirsty for Gaga music that we have to search for every artist who has a different voice and tear them down for it? That's not very Born This Way of you.

Pablo
31 minutes ago, UK Monster said:

He doesn't sound English!!! He just sounds silly tbh

But the issue for me is that people are discrediting his singing because of his natural accent. He couldn't help where he grew up and why does someones accent decide if someone is a good singer?

Don't visit my profile

PaperIz
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

But the issue for me is that people are discrediting his singing because of his natural accent. He couldn't help where he grew up and why does someones accent decide if someone is a good singer?

Apparently quality of singing doesn't matter now. You can be discredited as a good singer if you have a voice that doesn't sound typical :saladga: this thread omg 

RadioIsOurs
1 minute ago, PaperIz said:

Thank you! 

Except they sound like that all the time. I think you just wanna be upset at something.

I don't understand this :emma: that's just how she sings???¿¿¿

:awkney: good for you sounds the way it does because she was tired of having to act like she has the strongest voice. It was her trying to figure out how to sing best with her strengths and fits her voice best.

----

In short this whole thread is too damn extra. You guys need to get a grip. Are we so thirsty for Gaga music that we have to search for every artist who has a different voice and tear them down for it? That's not very Born This Way of you.

My point here is not that I really detest those singers in particular (although they're still sonically obnoxious to a certain extent), but rather how young people use to hide the fact that they can't sing, because for some reason youths now associate that style of singing as cool, modern, hip, and therefore 'talent'.

Pablo
1 minute ago, PaperIz said:

Apparently quality of singing doesn't matter now. You can be discredited as a good singer if you have a voice that doesn't sound typical :saladga: this thread omg 

Yeah and everyone keeps bringing up artists who aren't american, like american artists are the only "good" artists

Don't visit my profile

PaperIz
Just now, RainbowBlonde said:

My point here is not that I really detest those singers in particular (although they're still sonically obnoxious to a certain extent), but rather how young people use to hide the fact that they can't sing, because for some reason youths now associate that style of singing as cool, modern, hip, and therefore 'talent'.

But they can sing!!!! :saladga: being able to sing and the way your voice sounds are different things. Like Adam Levine from Maroon 5, I hate the way his voice sounds but he still can sing. Also Cyndi Lauper has a similar vocal style to these newer acts. 

PaperIz
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

Yeah and everyone keeps bringing up artists who aren't american, like american artists are the only "good" artists

They totally are the only good artists :lolga:

RadioIsOurs
Just now, PaperIz said:

But they can sing!!!! :saladga: being able to sing and the way your voice sounds are different things. Like Adam Levine from Maroon 5, I hate the way his voice sounds but he still can sing. Also Cyndi Lauper has a similar vocal style to these newer acts. 

You must be confused. I didn't say they couldn't sing, I said they couldn't sing. They as in normal everyday people.

Why are you getting so defensive? Are you butthurt? Did I insult your fav unknowingly? Are you part of the indie girls fan club?

JusKeepBreathin
2 hours ago, Dominic Marc said:

Ellie has been in the game for 7 years. It was unique and interesting then, it wasn't a fad. Don't put her in the same category. 

Sorry but I always thought Ellie's voice was a bad copy of Duffy. Like a smudged copy that someone spilled coffee on. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Pablo
6 hours ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

To the OP and others: this article might be of interest to you.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/reggieugwu/what-is-indie-pop-voice?utm_term=.pdl6R7nvr#.xnmY5MlWv

THANK YOU! There have been so many misunderstandings in this thread. :saladga:

I find this to be the most interesting part

"

As with other matters of vocal style, there may be as many reasons for vowel breaking as there are singers. While some are aesthetic, others may reflect more practical needs. Bonnie Hayes, a former rock singer and current chair of the songwriting department at Berklee College of Music, can think of at least one good explanation for why a singer might nudge a vowel sound to the front of their mouth. Namely, to make sure that you can hear them.

“Just try and sing the word ‘good’ — it’s low and closed,” Hayes says. “You can’t get any resonance on a vowel like that. But if you make it ‘guoid’ or ‘geeed’ there’s a lot more there. It’s right up in the front of your face … Singers are always trying to find ways like that to get more resonance on a closed vowel. I remember when I was learning to sing ‘Blue Moon’ we had to sing it like ‘bleeeww’ because it pushes the vowel up closer to your nose where it can travel further.”

"

I was in choir for many years and we always focused on how to sing our vowels, it ends up being very different from speaking the words but to the audience it sounds right. I remember watching American Idol back during it's prime and most of the singers would never actually finish their words! It drove me insane :madge:

Don't visit my profile

Harry

Lmao I never really care about this kind of thing but I have to admit that I find this "style" incredibly annoying :rip: And it is most certainly a fad, which makes it hard for me to appreciate and respect as a genuine style.

That being said people can sing how they want, and people can listen to what they want. But I do lowkey judge the artists that use it :green:

Archived