💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 in Kyiv - Winner: PORTUGAL!

Bellatrix

Featured Posts

Seriously considering going next year. If you see a big EU flag, it might be me :gaycat:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sugarfall

The time right after Eurovision feels so empty :madge: 

15 minutes ago, Luc said:

Seriously considering going next year. If you see a big EU flag, it might be me :gaycat:

I regret not going this year, it was in Sweden ffs :air:

StrawberryBlond

My favourites were Bulgaria, Poland, Russia, Armenia and my ultimate favourite, Ukraine. I think this is the first time my absolute favourite won. A political song was such a risk but it paid off, at least to my mind. Her vocals and passionate performance made me want to cry. I hope this song winning sends a powerful message to Russia and how we want justice for the people in general.

I really hope we stop inviting Australia, though. It's a bit silly. a once off novelty was fine but a permanent fixture? And they almost won? We'd be better off not calling it Eurovision anymore if that's the case, it makes a farce of the whole show. I'm so glad they didn't win. I wouldn't have been able to handle that. What next, the USA being invited and Madonna representing them? There's a line to be drawn, surely?

bionic
2 hours ago, Luc said:

this u?

euflag_2950399b.jpg

buy bionic

Katharine Hepburn
23 hours ago, Iismetti said:

Ukraine is really homophobic too lol.

Compared to Russia and considering it was part of the Soviet Union, Ukraine is not too bad. 

xoxo Joanne

Katharine Hepburn
3 hours ago, bionic said:

I imagine all of the big 5 (6?) will be back again next year. I'm sure Australia will be back although I don't think they should

I hope the UK withdraw as a member of the big 5 because it's such a waste of money as not many people watch the show and we rarely place well, even when we try😒. We (the UK) can just flop in the semis like Ireland do.

xoxo Joanne

FameHungry

Hopefully Ireland can qualify next year :laughga: We have been sending such terrible songs 

17 hours ago, AM98GJ said:

Ok so what I'm confused about is, would Ukraine have won with the old voting system? Like if they would've won anyway i don't mind because I think the suspense was absolutely amazing! But if they wouldn't have one of the usual system was used then I don't think I support the new system....

17 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

I read somewhere that Australia would've won with the old system, but I'm not sure if it's true. I mean, it's still 50/50 and the votes are just presented in a different way.

I totally prefer the new system anyway. It's much more exciting and that's what a Eurovision voting should be. The last years we've known the winner for like 15 minutes before it's over and it hasn't been so fun to watch.

17 hours ago, AM98GJ said:

Yh I was hoping that it would be the same result just scaled up, maybe it'll be confirmed by the organisation or something 

I spent all of Sunday doing the maths and making spreadsheets (not because i'm biased that Australia didn't win (we all know she was the best out of everyone)) and if my formula was right i figured out who would have won in the old system. Based on the combination of jury and televotes combined to give a top 10 (and i think the televotes get used if there is a tie to organise any countries with the same amount of points) Ukraine would have only one by like 10 points. Based on if my maths was correct and i'm 95% sure it was.

But the fact that Ukraine sang a political song when thats against the rules and should have been disqualified (its the rules), it might have been Australia vs Russia for number 1 spot

16 hours ago, Luc said:

I've always wanted to go and be a part of the stereotype, and especially seeing as Australia was awesome. But the whole homophobic thing concerns me a tad bit

Illuminati

Queen Germany taking the last spot in this years competition but still being a guaranteed finalist in the next contest :toofunny: 

1 hour ago, jman said:

I've always wanted to go and be a part of the stereotype, and especially seeing as Australia was awesome. But the whole homophobic thing concerns me a tad bit

Kyiv has since EuroMaidan become a place where a sort of 60s-like hipster class seems to have arisen http://www.politico.eu/article/kievs-hipster-revolution-russia-ukraine-culture/ :shrug: 

Also, Ukraine should not be disqualified, because the story is about deportation by stalin. Nobody in Europe represents that. The song itself is about as political as Ein Bisschen Frieden. Is it political to support peace, to be against nazism/stalinism/maoism/kimilsungism-kimjongilism/whatever? Yeah, it could be considered. It's rather far-fetched, though, considering nobody in Europe actually doubts those ideals.

You can't judge the intentions, because they have to be objective.

Also, they accepted many songs in the past that could be considered political. Even Greece's entry this year was poltical if we consider Ukraine's entry political.

Bellatrix
4 hours ago, jman said:

But the fact that Ukraine sang a political song when thats against the rules and should have been disqualified (its the rules), it might have been Australia vs Russia for number 1 spot

It's not a political song. It doesn't include any political statement or anything like that. It's about a historical event and how we should have peace, which isn't the same. If you choose to interpret is as political it's up to you, but it doesn't make it political.

If it had some kind of political statement EBU wouldn't have approved it to begin with.

Bellatrix

Five cities have so far signed up for their interest to host Eurovision next year.

Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex, Kiev. Capacity 70 050.
Served as host for some matches of UEFA Euro 2012.
olimpiyskiy-national-sports-complex.jpg

Arena Lviv, Lviv. Capacity 34 915.
Also served as host for some matches of UEFA Euro 2012.
lemberg_arena_751.jpg

Chornomorets Stadium, Odessa. Capacity 34 164.
The only venue in Odessa that is suitable for hosting the contest. However it lacks of roof, which is required to host the contest.
chornomorets_front.jpg

Also the cities Dnipropetrovsk and Kherson are interested, but doesn't seem to have a special arena in mind yet.

57 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Five cities have so far signed up for their interest to host Eurovision next year.

Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex, Kiev. Capacity 70 050.
Served as host for some matches of UEFA Euro 2012.
olimpiyskiy-national-sports-complex.jpg

Arena Lviv, Lviv. Capacity 34 915.
Also served as host for some matches of UEFA Euro 2012.
lemberg_arena_751.jpg

Chornomorets Stadium, Odessa. Capacity 34 164.
The only venue in Odessa that is suitable for hosting the contest. However it lacks of roof, which is required to host the contest.
chornomorets_front.jpg

Also the cities Dnipropetrovsk and Kherson are interested, but doesn't seem to have a special arena in mind yet.

If only Crimea wasn't annexed... my aunt went there last summer and she said it's incredibly beautiful.

Now rooting for Kyiv. Wouldn't like a stadium though. Can't imagine that working for Eurovision.

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Admin featured this topic
  • Jase unfeatured this topic
  • Jase unpinned and locked this topic

Archived