Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Genre-labelling has racial standards?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

I feel this is especially apparent when involving R&B music. Songs like Blank Space I feel are blatant R&B influenced songs, but nobody calls that out. Yet, if someone like Rihanna were to be singing that song, people would immediately label it R&B. Same for those 80s ballads sung by black artists like Whitney. On wiki they're all labeled as R&B, but if a white singer were to be singing it, it would have been labeled as Pop or Soul or something...

Perhaps it wouldn't just happen to black singers, but any singer with a clear history of R&B songs.  So I could be wrong here...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edonis

Blank Space as R&B??? 🤔🤔🤔

Hmm. 

Byt I do understand your point. And it's even used in typing an artist. A young black female who wants to sing rock is going to have a harder time getting signed rather than if she chose R&B. Sometimes managers will even push a singer to sing a Different genre because of it. 

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Edonis said:

Blank Space as R&B??? 🤔🤔🤔

Hmm.

The beat? The synths? You don't think it sounds a little R&B? It could have easily passed off as one back in 2007-2009 alongside songs like Irreplaceable and Hate That I Love You.

Edonis
Just now, RainbowBlonde said:

The beat? The synths? You don't think it sounds a little R&B? It could have easily passed off as one back in 2007-2009 alongside songs like Irreplaceable and Hate That I Love You.

Maybe the production. I agree with that. But vocally, I don't think she's really giving off R&B vibes to me. Idk, I could be wrong. 

TimisaMonster

Why do you think everyone in pop has to be white with blonde hair? :neyde:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

RadioIsOurs
6 minutes ago, Edonis said:

Maybe the production. I agree with that. But vocally, I don't think she's really giving off R&B vibes to me. Idk, I could be wrong. 

It's subjective I guess. It's really different from Taylor's usual style of singing. It has kind of a flow to it. And the chorus, especially the first few seconds...sounds really 2000s-ish. 

Besides, it really sounds like Bleeding Love, which is also labeled as R&B.

Yeah, it does happen unfortunately. FKA twigs talked about it once before:

'It’s just because I’m mixed race. When I first released music and no one knew what I looked like, I would read comments like: ‘I’ve never heard anything like this before, it’s not in a genre.’ And then my picture came out six months later, now she’s an R&B singer. '

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

Why do you think everyone in pop has to be white with blonde hair? :neyde:

What are you trying to say here..?

giphy.gif

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Britney Spears said:

I don't think that Blank Space is r&b at all

Firstly, how would you define r&b?

RadioIsOurs

Beyonce :laughga:

Can you imagine Beyonce singing Black Space? :poot:

Fiona Apple
Just now, RainbowBlonde said:

Can you imagine Beyonce singing Black Space? :poot:

Not really xD  The rythm and the melody are just POP..Nothing r&b about them

RadioIsOurs

Not really xD 

Hmm... I can see it as Irreplaceable 2.0. With much different lyrical content of course...

Archived