💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Madonna The Only Major 80's Icon Left

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

c h e r
35 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

Well,I consider U2 an iconic band.   U2 came about in the '80s, and they have been the biggest band in the world and biggest touring band in the world many times.  So it will be massive when Bono dies, and The Edge to a lesser degree because U2 will cease to exist.

But on a personal note for me, and many of their Black Swarm followers,  maybe not the general mainstream public, when Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode dies I will be devastated, and also Martin Gore the main songwriter because DM will be no more.  The electronica godfathers who have influenced generations of artists and are still touring every three and a half years when they put out an album, which in Europe they often play stadiums.

u2 is one of the most hated bands next to nickelback and coldplay,,, bye

Stand & B Counted or Sit & B Nothing.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PopThatArt

This is why I really don't like the direction our culture is going these days, equating an artist's worth and talent to how many headlines they make, how all that matters to pop fans is how popular an album is or how much their fave is spoken about in media. How so many people today think an artist is worthless if they don't sell a certain amount of records or if they don't get a number one song or album. It's completely disgusting to me and I wish people would stop reducing a person's contributions to music and entertainment by how popular someone is. 

Go see A Star is Born

ALGAYDO
6 hours ago, River said:

The scary thing about Cher is that even her mom is still alive....:toofunny:

THIS JUST IN: immortality is a genetic trait, and it's running through Cher's genes :derpga:

Emigrante
6 hours ago, River said:

The scary thing about Cher is that even her mom is still alive....:toofunny:

I can't 13059504_1143087039042954_750632000_n.pn 13059504_1143087039042954_750632000_n.pn 13059504_1143087039042954_750632000_n.pn 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

PopBitch

By the way, Cher wasn't an '80s icon.  Although still around, she was from the '70s and probably actually mid '60s regarding breaking onto the scene, like the Rolling Stones.

DiscoHeaven23
17 minutes ago, PopThatArt said:

This is why I really don't like the direction our culture is going these days, equating an artist's worth and talent to how many headlines they make, how all that matters to pop fans is how popular an album is or how much their fave is spoken about in media. How so many people today think an artist is worthless if they don't sell a certain amount of records or if they don't get a number one song or album. It's completely disgusting to me and I wish people would stop reducing a person's contributions to music and entertainment by how popular someone is. 

So if i make music but I don't get hits, I should still be known as one of the greatest icons in music?

This whole thread is about being the most well known singer.

You're not grasping the point. 

PopBitch
28 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I was born in the 70's :awkney:

They literally forced themselves onto people's phones. A lot of people are only aware of them because of that. It was an obnoxious marketing scheme.

What does this marketing ploy in their fourth decade of music and some young people not knowing them before that have to do with their iconic status from the '80s on regarding a tremendous body of work that was ever shifiting musically, fusing other genres into it, their acclaimed concert tours?

You and others can say they are hated by a certain segment that love to troll articles.  Well, so is Madonna,  So is Gaga.  Ever go on any articles about her?  The hate is real.

Guess what?  All three are beloved by a massive fan base, massive..  U2 fills stadiums and arenas and don't put on a stale new tour.  They go out there hungry and give it their all, like they were still young and care.

You may not like them,but they are iconic.  The same way people may not like Madonna or Gaga.

elijahfan
43 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

I agree. Cher will be huge because there's so much to cover, her career as Sonny & Cher, her comeback, her acting career, etc  Still, it won't reach Madonna levels as far as how long the coverage lasts.

... so what? Are we doing a **** contest here? What I'm saying is that Madonna is far from being the only major 80s act left. I'm not trying to diminish her importance in the musical landscape, but let's not belittle the importance of others.

Kanye West
3 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

What does this marketing ploy in their fourth decade of music and some young people not knowing them before that have to do with their iconic status from the '80s on regarding a tremendous body of work that was every shifiting musically, fusing other genres into it, their acclaimed concert tours?

You and others can say they are hated by a certain segment that love to troll articles.  Well, so is Madonna,  So is Gaga.  Ever go on any articles about her?  The hate is real.

Guess what?  All three are beloved by a massive fan base, massive..  U2 fills stadiums and arenas and don't put on a stale new tour.  They go out there hungry and give it their all, like they were still young and care.

You may not like them,but they are iconic.  The same way people may not like Madonna or Gaga.

This marketing ploy was how they were introduced to many who didn't know of their existence. I don't know any of U2's music. I cannot name one song. They aren't iconic and certainly aren't in the same league as Madonna and Gaga.

KANYEWEST.COM

PopBitch
Just now, elijahfan said:

... so what? Are we doing a **** contest here? What I'm saying is that Madonna is far from being the only major 80s act left.

I agree.  But in actuality Cher wasn't an '80s act, that came onto the scene in the '80s like Cindy Lauper, U2, Depeche Mode, Janet Jackson, etc.  

She came onto the scene in 1965 and was big in the '60s and '70s on.  

PopBitch
14 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

This marketing ploy was how they were introduced to many who didn't know of their existence. I don't know any of U2's music. I cannot name one song. They aren't iconic and certainly aren't in the same league as Madonna and Gaga.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Not iconic.

In 2011 their 360 Tour was cited as the highest grossing tour in history with ticket sales totaling 736 million dollars.  Oh, not in the same league at all.  When will Madonna or Gaga ever?

As of last count in 2010 they had sold over 150 million albums, which is fantastic for  band..  

U2 has won 22 Grammys.  And U2 has won more awards than any band in history.

KingRedd

This thread smh lol I understand what you're saying though. These four were monumental and highly influential. Others were around and thriving but these four represent the 80s the most. Lmao people and naming these other artist....

May I Read You? 😎

Kanye West
Just now, PopBitch said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.  In 2011 their 360 Tour was cited as the highest grossing tour in history with ticket sales totaling 736 million dollars.  Oh, not in the same league at all.

As of last count in 2010 they had sold over 150 million albums.  

U2 has won 22 Grammys.  And U2 has won more awards than any band in history.

Then why have I never heard of them besides that marketing ploy?

KANYEWEST.COM

Archived