💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

Analyzing 2013 VMA performance

Yo GagaGaga

Featured Posts

Yo GagaGaga

So I've been watching Gaga's VMA performance of Applause from 2013 a lot lately to hype me for LG5, and imo its one of her most underrated performances. There seems to be so much detail that's been put into it that I've been noticing each time I watch it (or I'm just being cryptic[I'm most likely just being cryptic])

This will mostly be focused on the choreography and somewhat of the imagery of the performance, and how it references her earlier work

As we all know during the performance she used many costume changes to represent her past eras

The Fame

lady-gaga-blue-suit.jpg

The Fame Monster

Lady-GAga-during-the-2013-MTV-Video-Musi

Born This Way

177675149.jpg?itok=6kgOFGOa

ARTPOP

o-LADY-GAGA-facebook.jpg

and I will not be focusing on the outfits and the more obvious references of the performance, like her holding the koons ball, I will be focused on the quick things that happened that I only notice when I view the video a lot, most of this is similar choreography.

A common theme I saw her do in this is to slightly hint at her older choreography from past eras, and combine it with a more applause like dancing (this means incorporating clapping and jazz hands and such) and since everything is moving so fast, I am just now noticing all of them now. And these are very subtle details that probably won't make very much sense, that I just make the connections in my head, idk.

Again, before I start I'm probably just being cryptic, so I'll probably seem insane by the end of this (also sorry for the horrible quality, I'm using Giphy to make these :wtfga:)

References (maybe)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_n5on0ohih21sn3ablo2_500.gif

giphy.gif

and this one is purely coincidental, but it made me think of that

Lady-Gaga-Bad-Romance-Makeup.jpg

giphy.gif

so, what do you think? Did Gaga and the Haus put in these little easter eggs or am I just going insane from sleep deprivation?

If you find anymore that I didn't mention, comment it down below and I'll add it to the post

1-3 are pretty likely but I don't think she thought it would go unnoticed...it was probably supposed to be obvious. the bad romance references are a stretch to say the least

NewYorkCity

Never thought of this but I think you are right!

Except for the eyes thing, that no blinking is supposed to reference Dali if I remember, right?

Yo GagaGaga
2 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

Some of these are so obvious, lol. 

yeah, I'm just now realizing that lol. I made this at 4am so I waited to post it so some people would actually see it, so my judgment was out the window :poot:

tomsches

I actually disliked her referencing her "old eras", because I thought with ARTPOP she would bring soemthing new that no one had ever seen before

Yo GagaGaga
1 minute ago, tomsches said:

I actually disliked her referencing her "old eras", because I thought with ARTPOP she would bring soemthing new that no one had ever seen before

idk bout you but I've never seen this before (especially on a VMA stage)

giphy.gif

but yeah, I get your point, I think she was trying 1. Make people feel nostalgic 2. Show how the applause from fans helped her through her whole career

GagaXCupcakke

The whole performance is a reference to the song Aura. 

Gaga starts the performance in an outfit that covers her whole body, almost the like an inoffensive burqa. 

Gaga ends the performance in a bikini, almost naked. 

"Do you wanna see me naked lover? Do you wanna see the girl behind the aura?" 

During the performance she also references some of her older performances. 

Gagaplayer315

You had some valid points. I love this performance

Davidsonary
32 minutes ago, tomsches said:

Well she actually scrapped her original plan for this because MTV banned her initial performance idea.

Oh hello. What is this space down here? Where am I?

AnglerfishbraBENUS
36 minutes ago, tomsches said:

obviously that was the plan if you've seen the original ideas for the show.  It's a shame she had to put this 'mess' together so quickly.

xdeki666
38 minutes ago, Dora said:

The whole performance is a reference to the song Aura. 

Gaga starts the performance in an outfit that covers her whole body, almost the like an inoffensive burqa. 

Gaga ends the performance in a bikini, almost naked. 

"Do you wanna see me naked lover? Do you wanna see the girl behind the aura?" 

During the performance she also references some of her older performances. 

if only aura was the first single ..

Himeros26

Wasn't the original concept her torturing her past selves? And also walking the carpet with look alikes? 

Archived