đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP Ahead or Behind Music Trends?

Quark

Featured Posts

Prismatic
2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I understand what you are saying, but ARTPOP has alot of more polarizing aspects which include its sales, its meaning, its production, its promotion, ect. Anyways, this thread is more about how ARTPOP's music compares to the music of its time.

You brought up polarizing in your op. The gp basically hated or dislike her because of BTW and AP was the final nail. Where as, sure the sales are weaker, but a lot of Monsters (on here at least) still followed her all the the way through the AP era and supported it. 

I Only Stan For Risk Takers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicogly
Just now, Enigma said:

How does "pink" equals bad?

I mean hahaha, it is hard to explain. I loved BTW for its rawness, and some of its genuine rebel nature. For me, ARTPOP was pink in the sense that it didn't awaken any sense of originality in me. It felt overproduced and mechanic, as if the album was meant to please the GP. It wasn´t the crazyga at her best. Unlike her presentation during the ARTPOP era which waaassss crazyga at her best, most of her craziest stuff that I most love was during that era, like Millie Brown at SXSW or Marina Abramovic meditation method, or Robert Wilson collaboration at the Louvre. Really pink equals bad FOR ME, because it is tame. And bold can be so much more than simply just aggresive or dark....it could be pink, just another shade of it. 

Rock On and A Last One For the Road 🚬

Seeka
Just now, Enigma said:

Yes, trends dictate the charts, but I am just talking about how ahead or behind ARTPOP's music was compared to the trends of its time. I don't really care about its commercial success.

Ugh, well, as a whole, or separately, it's too entirely hard to be sure. Because I think if you like something enough, it's timeless.

Quark
Just now, Prismatic said:

You brought up polarizing in your op. The gp basically hated or dislike her because of BTW and AP was the final nail. Where as, sure the sales are weaker, but a lot of Monsters (on here at least) still followed her all the the way through the AP era and supported it. 

I only brought the polarizing aspect as a general introduction and not as the same discussion of this topic.

OracleMonster

Swine, Aura, and Donatella were basically recycled old songs that already existed pre-ARTPOP so I would say behind for the most part

Nicogly
2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Yes, trends dictate the charts, but I am just talking about how ahead or behind ARTPOP's music was compared to the trends of its time. I don't really care about its commercial success.

In trend sense it wasn´t either behind nor ahead.....although the ahead aspect is yet to be seen. It felt distant to the rest of anything done at the moment. Very isolated. Maybe it was ahead.... we will see. 

Quark
2 minutes ago, Nicogly said:

I mean hahaha, it is hard to explain. I loved BTW for its rawness, and some of its genuine rebel nature. For me, ARTPOP was pink in the sense that it didn't awaken any sense of originality in me. It felt overproduced and mechanic, as if the album was meant to please the GP. It wasn´t the crazyga at her best. Unlike her presentation during the ARTPOP era which waaassss crazyga at her best, most of her craziest stuff that I most love was during that era, like Millie Brown at SXSW or Marina Abramovic meditation method, or Robert Wilson collaboration at the Louvre. Really pink equals bad FOR ME, because it is tame. And bold can be so much more than simply just aggresive or dark....it could be pink, just another shade of it. 

I feel like ARTPOP was basically a mix of everything, from commercial to experimental, and from mechanical to raw. But I understand your opinion.

Quark
2 minutes ago, OracleMonster said:

Swine, Aura, and Donatella were basically recycled old songs that already existed pre-ARTPOP so I would say behind for the most part

But non of those sounds were in the mainstream at its time. Not even now.

Nicogly

Swine was also an old instrumental?!?!?!? Nooooooo not one of my fav from ARTPOP.... :toofunny:

Koreku

I do not think that the songs on ARTPOP were ahead nor behind. They simply... were. The music was on its own caliber; not necessarily from the perspective of instrumentals, but because of Gaga's unique, captivating hooks and themes placed over the seemingly 'basic' beats.

Just take Donatella:

Donatella!
(I’m smoking 'em on full tank of gas)
Mi-Mi-Bella!

(I'm a rich bitch, I'm the upper class)
All of the day!

(I’m the pearl to your oyster, I’m a babe)

I’m gonna smoke Marlboro Reds and drink Champagne
(I smoke Marlboro Reds and drink Champagne)

She takes a conventional EDM beat and gives it a twist with a hook you wouldn't typically hear on any mainstream EDM song. It's not even just the content of the lyrics themselves-- it's the way Gaga phrases them. The way "Mi-mi-bella!' jabs you in the face before the line, "on full tank of gas" even ends.

Gaga has this infectious way of phrasing/placing her lyrics and it makes her pop music stand out from other artists' pop music. She's on a different level. 

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

OracleMonster
6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

But non of those sounds were in the mainstream at its time. Not even now.

It's EDM which has been mainstream since 2011 or so 

Quark

It's EDM which has been mainstream since 2011 or so 

Not all EDM is the same.

ARTPOPisaChoice

The EDM elements were behind trends. However DWUW was ahead of trends 

Hands up to the sky 🌧 I’ll be your galaxy 🌌

sipthistea

ARTPOP was a transition album, an experiment that went wrong. 

But it ended up being one of the coolest albums. It sounds NOTHING like other contemporary works. It's pure Gaga. 

Archived