Featured Posts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sister
9 hours ago, YourSweet666 said:

Did they send it to the US radio? 

@Sister you could ask Mark? are you gonna request it?:chica:

We should ask Mark, of course I would request it. You can sometimes get a dj to play a song, but they do have to go by a list of arranged songs that they are required to play around the clock by a company that runs it all now, it is so annoying. I have been told this by a dj.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Sister

@YourSweet666 @poison girl @Swan Heart @Cocaine Heart @PennyroyalTea

Here is a better article about the collaboration. I found it on the forum www.thesacrament.net and member Kaysa translated it, credit to Kaysa. and Thank You.

Sonic Seducer 05/2016

Mark Gemini Thwaite feat. Ville Valo
One man, countless bands

Nearly everyone heard him play or saw him on stage before. But most people don't know him. Mark Gemini Thwaite is probably the humblest guitarist on earth. He played in Tricky's, Peter Murphy's, and Gary Numan's bands. Even though he has worked on more than 20 albums and was a member of The Mission for many years he always took a back seat. Just now he finished his first solo album. For the vocals he rounded up the who's who of the scene. A foretaste of the album gives the single "Knowing Me, Knowing You" with Ville Valo. An ABBA-Cover.

"I actually never wanted to make a solo album," admits Mark Gemini Thwaite. "I don't write lyrics and I don't have a good singing voice. What made me change my mind was working with the musicians collective Primitive Race. We sent each other song ideas and then got different singers for them. So I thought: Why not do that for a solo album?" Gemini already had song ideas for the album in heaps and he also wrote new pieces, sometimes with a singer in mind already. Because of his good contacts to the music scene it was easy for him to find friends and colleages to sing on his album. Among them Wayne Hussey, Julianne Reagan, Miles Hunt, Saffron, Ashton Nyte, Andi Sexgang, and the golden voice of HIM, Ville Valo.

"For 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' I immediately had Ville in mind. I wanted to make a cover of that ABBA song for a long time. As a really dark version in the style of The Mission. But I was never able to actually do it because I didn't work with anyone who I thought wanted to sing it. The moment I decided to make the solo album I knew I wanted to record the song. I asked Ville who was the ideal choice for me", says Thwaite.

Ville Valo, a friend of Thwaite since the nineties, immediately agreed. It's his first guest performance outside of HIM since years. "HIM usually consumes all my time. Because of that it's always hard for me to take part in projects besides HIM," explains Ville, "but Mark is a friend and the stars were right. It was the right song at the right time."

Surprisingly, Ville Valo didn't know the ABBA song about a broken relationship. Ville laughs: "I am a Scandinavian but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a fan of ABBA. I grew up in a family that didn't own a single ABBA album." Which turned out to actually be an advantage for the singer. He was able to approach the song without any bias or expectations. Ville explains: "I wanted to give the song a gothic vibe. The song itself is really poppy but the lyrics are pretty dark. There's no light at the end of the tunnel which was very surprising to me." Mark Gemini Thwaite adds: "I wanted to keep everything that's good in the original. My only aim was to change the vibe. The 'Ahhs' in the song are now played by guitars and that removes the cheesy pop factor. Now it almost sounds like a HIM song."

Thwaite actually planned that Ville Valo write a melody with lyrics for one of his demos but that didn't work out because of the lack of time. The next HIM album is still a thing of the distant future, as Valo reveals, but he's already busy gathering ideas. A cover version was easier for him to fit into the schedule, as he explains: "Musicians tend to overanalyze their songs. With a cover you don't have to think about the lyrics. That's why they often sound less forced and more relaxed. You can just take what is already there, set your stamp on it, and don't have to think about it too much. It's the same for me when I play cover versions with HIM."

Apart from the ABBA song and a Human League cover all of "Volumes" is new material. It's fascinating how it all fits together really well even though the many guests from the scene all left their mark on the songs. Musically, all options were on the table from the start, says Thwaite. "The album surely is on the darker side. But I didn't have a definite idea in mind for the sound. The good thing about the album is that it's really organic and that I could write whatever I wanted. I didn't worry about whether the goth kids would like it or not. But both my guitar play and taste of music now and then brush the gothic genre, and you can hear that on the album." "Volumes" will be published by record label SPV. Old friends of Thwaite that he's known since his years with The Mission. More on Thwaite and "Volumes" in the next issue.

Wow, I love that both went more into their involvement of working on this song. I can't believe Ville doesn't know ABBA, lol. Maybe that made it happen and work ever the greater.

I wonder just how long we must wait for a new HIM album....

lego
6 hours ago, Sister said:

The next HIM album is still a thing of the distant future, as Valo reveals,

Beautiful man, I know you're lying... 🎶

FreePalestine

Swan Heart

Thank you, Sister. :heart:

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Sister
9 hours ago, Sister said:

"HIM usually consumes all my time. Because of that it's always hard for me to take part in projects besides HIM," explains Ville, "but Mark is a friend and the stars were right. It was the right song at the right time."

And the stars were right, right song at the right time...so true Ville!!!! :wub:. I agree and am Thankful for this song and video.

2 hours ago, YourSweet666 said:

Beautiful man, I know you're lying... 🎶

He sounds like new stuff is far off, doesn't he?!!!

2 hours ago, YourSweet666 said:

Thanks for the interview @Sister!:wub:

Interesting, there is something he didn't know.:toofunny:

I know, it's a bit cute, him not knowing this song?!

2 hours ago, Swan Heart said:

Thank you, Sister. :heart:

You guys are quite Welcome :hug:

lego
2 minutes ago, Sister said:

He sounds like new stuff is far off, doesn't he?!!!

Yes, but judging by that Mark's deleted tweet I think it's on purpose. :ph34r:

FreePalestine

• 1 month later...
lego
On 4/14/2016 at 9:48 PM, RAMROD said:

Why is it Radio Edit on iTunes :neyde:

Saving the full version for the album? 😢😢😢

you were right :poot:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1010098912360256&id=182482588455230&ref=m_notif&notif_t=video_reply

album version will be 4:50min

http://mgt.lnk.to/Volumes

Epic bump. :green: 

Album is coming on 24th of June.

New Single

FreePalestine

Sister

Do you all like this new song, The Reaping?

lego
15 minutes ago, Sister said:

Do you all like this new song, The Reaping?

I did, but the vocals should be louder imo. And I can't find lyrics anywhere. lol 

FreePalestine

Sister
14 hours ago, YourSweet666 said:

I did, but the vocals should be louder imo. And I can't find lyrics anywhere. lol 

I agree. I imagine that the lyrics will be around when the full album is out. Maybe they come with the album or someone will write all of them out then.

Archived