Watch the official commercial for Voce Viva

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

society

Mississippi governor signs 'religious freedom' bill into law

Morphine Prince

(CNN) - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed the state's religious freedom bill Tuesday, according to a statement from his Twitter account.

Watchdog groups have decried the bill as discriminatory against the LGBT community, while proponents say it's intended only to protect those with strongly held religious beliefs.

Bryant said he signed the bill into law "to protect sincerely held religious beliefs and moral convictions of individuals, organizations and private associations from discriminatory action by state government."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us/mississippi-governor-signs-religious-freedom-bill/index.html?adkey=bn

venusfly

Here's a section of the bill that causes the controversy:

The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that:

(a) Marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman;

(b) Sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage; and

(c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individual's immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.

This in theory will allow people to refuse service to gay people due to their religious beliefs.

littlepotter

I don't see the problem here... What are they doing exactly?

Morphine Prince
2 minutes ago, LG said:

(c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individual's immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.

I love how they pretend like transgender people don't exist. If this was true transgender individuals would not exist. Clearly GENDER IDENTITY is not the same as BIOLOGICAL SEX.

Educate yourselves. 

venusfly
1 minute ago, littlepotter said:

Read my reply above. It will allow 'super religious' people to refuse service & respect to homosexual people & transgender people due to their religious beliefs.

Morphine Prince
2 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

You don't see a problem with businesses denying service to someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity? 

What if I told you I want to deny service to black people? You'd call me racist, right?

Connect the dots.

littlepotter
1 minute ago, LG said:

Read my reply above. It will allow 'super religious' people to refuse service & respect to homosexual people & transgender people due to their religious beliefs.

So nothing has changed? :green:

Do you mean to tell me that 'super religious' were waiting for this bill to be signed so they could start being disrespectful?

venusfly
Just now, littlepotter said:

So nothing has changed? :green:

Do you mean to tell me that 'super religious' were waiting for this bill to be signed so they could start being disrespectful?

Previously you could be charged with anti discrimination acts... you can't anymore, you just need to say you're religious and those are your beliefs.

Whispering

This is why "the fight for equal rights" isn't close to being over! The Republicans here (and the Canadians who think they know what it is like in the US) don't seem to understand that. 

This is why we need a Democrat in the highest office in the country and why the next four years are pivotal in the fight for equal rights. One or two Supreme Court Justices appointed by a Republican could set back LGBT and Women's rights. 

But Bernie supporters want to throw a little fit and allow Trump or Ted Cruz to become President. There are more of these kinds of decisions to come if one of those two get in office. 

Goosey

The governor says this bill is not as bad as people are making out.

Bryant said he believes many arguments against the bill were filled with misinformation.

Bryant also denied claims by opponents that the bill would allow restaurants or governments to deny normal services to gay or lesbian people unless it was in the performing of a wedding ceremony. He cited a restaurant as an example, saying that a restaurant would not be allowed to deny serving a gay patron but could deny allowing a wedding to take place in the restaurant.

However, the bill says people can deny services or goods for the "celebration or recognition of any marriage, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction," which would include pre-ceremony celebrations, post-wedding celebrations, anniversary celebrations and other related celebrations, opponents argue.

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

littlepotter
Just now, LG said:

Previously you could be charged with anti discrimination acts... you can't anymore, you just need to say you're religious and those are your beliefs.

So that's it.

I hate how they drag religion into this while it's just closed minded retards who take religion as an excuse to their stupidity.

I live in a Middle Eastern country where there is no such thing as LGBT rights and I've only ever heard our pastor and nun saying that we should respect and love LGBT's as much as the next person because they were 'born that way'. I kid you not.

JustinTrudeau

What religion freedom? Christians always had freedom in U.S., since the "discovery" of this country. :saladga: What a lame excuse... This bill is just designed to oppress the LGBT people. If you don't want gay marriage, don't get one. :neyde:

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

venusfly
8 minutes ago, Goosey said:

The governor says this bill is not as bad as people are making out.

Bryant said he believes many arguments against the bill were filled with misinformation.

Bryant also denied claims by opponents that the bill would allow restaurants or governments to deny normal services to gay or lesbian people unless it was in the performing of a wedding ceremony. He cited a restaurant as an example, saying that a restaurant would not be allowed to deny serving a gay patron but could deny allowing a wedding to take place in the restaurant.

However, the bill says people can deny services or goods for the "celebration or recognition of any marriage, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction," which would include pre-ceremony celebrations, post-wedding celebrations, anniversary celebrations and other related celebrations, opponents argue.

all of that still sounds as bad as its made out to be.