Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is pop music putting more and more emphasis on loud drum beats?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

If you listen to recent pop songs such as Blank Space, Fight Song, Locked Away etc, you will realise that the drum beats are really prominent and loud, being the dominant riffs that drives the song. Sometimes it just assaults my ears. But pop songs in the past aren't like that. They all use to have grooves and basslines to accompany the drum line. Many times, today's pop music have really bland basslines that are only based on the chords itself, or none at all. I honestly don't like this. I feel that it's because producers are getting lazier and figured out that just by making drum beats louder and bassier they could easily make it more catchy and rhythmic instead of having to come up with actual bassline riffs.  

AlexanderLevi2

Producers work at a faster rate than they used to thanks to technology and our demand. So is it really their fault that we demand music every two seconds?

Currently listening to Joanne

RadioIsOurs
3 minutes ago, AlexanderLevi2 said:

Producers work at a faster rate than they used to thanks to technology and our demand. So is it really their fault that we demand music every two seconds?

Well there are still songs out there with proper basslines. Most of Gaga's songs do have proper basslines. I'm sure that it's even on purpose that they exclude basslines, like Alejandro for example. In the first verse, there was completely no bass. But for some reason it only came in at the second verse.

Noah

Haven't these always been a thing?

I mean, Fantasy by Mariah or Honey by Mariah etc. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

RadioIsOurs
Just now, CurlyBae said:

Well I don't think that this is actually bad

I don't know but with actual notes it sounds richer. Using deep bass drum beats to replace them can sound bland and annoying after awhile.

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Noahhh said:

Haven't these always been a thing?

I mean, Fantasy by Mariah or Honey by Mariah etc. 

Don't those songs have funky basslines?

Fiona Apple
Just now, LavendarBlonde said:

I don't know but with actual notes it sounds richer. Using deep bass drum beats to replace them can sound bland and annoying after awhile.

Well each song has its style. I think that Blank Space sounds great with the simple drum

AlexanderLevi2

Well there are still songs out there with proper basslines. Most of Gaga's songs do have proper basslines. I'm sure that it's even on purpose that they exclude basslines, like Alejandro for example. In the first verse, there was completely no bass. But for some reason it only came in at the second verse.

There are some producers who can work at a faster rate and create bass lines but I couldnt even imagine the amount of songs producers have to work on these days. Bigger beats are also in trend. I personally enjoy it.

Currently listening to Joanne

RadioIsOurs
Just now, CurlyBae said:

Well each song has its style. I think that Blank Space sounds great with the simple drum

What kind of style do we call that? People haven't really recognised it properly yet. I feel that it's product of the Hip Hop/R&B influences of the 2000s.

RadioIsOurs
1 minute ago, AlexanderLevi2 said:

There are some producers who can work at a faster rate and create bass lines but I couldnt even imagine the amount of songs producers have to work on these days. Bigger beats are also in trend. I personally enjoy it.

I don't mind bigger beats. But sometimes the producers just take advantage of them to replace the bassline completely. 

Fiona Apple

What kind of style do we call that? People haven't really recognised it properly yet. I feel that it's product of the Hip Hop/R&B influences of the 2000s.

I don't think that it needs a name because the difference is too small :laughga: I think of it as pop music with simple instrumentals :stalkga:

Noah
2 minutes ago, LavendarBlonde said:

Don't those songs have funky basslines?

Honey does.

But I think, that Songs like Honey or Fantasy paved the way for these Songs. It's simplistic. and that makes it easy to listen to. If you compare to more complex or over produced songs - these usually don't chart that high.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Archived