Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Charli XCX responds to Marina photoshoot similarities

KING5KAT

Featured Posts

KING5KAT

"You know what, sometimes you do a photoshoot standing infront of a plant, sometimes you do a photoshoot in black and white, sometimes you wear purple eyeshadow. Sometimes you shoot with the same photographer a fellow artist has shot with. That's just how things happen in the industry I work in. The image in discussion (not this one), which a lot of fans have been making noise about online, was from a photoshoot for a fragrance brand I have been working with for a while. The point of the shoot is to make the promotional image reflective of the packaging, as I have done on previous collaborations with them. This particular scent is a summer scent, with lemons and hints of burnt orange, the design is tropical, bright yellow with pineapples, palm trees and sunglasses printed on the can. The whole brief for the campaign was based around a tropical theme, which is what the brand aka "the client", wanted. Hence the direction of the photoshoot. I had not seen the artwork for the Marina And The Diamonds (@marinagrams) song "Immortal", and it was not an inspiration for this photoshoot or the campaign as a whole. I've seen it now, and yeah unfortunately it looks similar. It was shot by the same, incredibly talented photographer, and it's a shame for both myself and Marina that this has happened. I'm not here to replicate or "steal" art or things that have already been done. What's the point in that? I'm here to do my own thing and create my own art. As I've said, the image in question, which I believe Marina had previously commented on on the photographers Instagram, was for a brand based photoshoot for a tropical, lemon scented fragrance campaign (what was I supposed to do - shoot it in the snow?!). It is not the artwork for my own album or single. That's all I need to say really. Everybody enjoy your Friday. Love to all. 💜 Tonight is the launch of my record label Vroom Vroom Recordings. Im very excited and can't wait to start releasing more music from myself and other artists that I love."

Charlotte Rutherford was the photographer of both campaigns and unfortunately similarities bleed between the two photoshoots. Marina needed context before she commented and Charli needs to do some research before she shoots. 

Serendipity

loved the essay!:emma:

Charloette was very wise imo and stopped a possible :worship2:

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Neight Shayde

good for you, charli! now continue to slay us with your critically-acclaimed EP :unicorn:

weed

I like her response, but there are many ways you could take lemons and oranges

Supersonic

So basically what she implied was that both pictures were shot by the same photographer and that he basically recycled the theme from Marina's picture and gave it to her, without her knowing of that particular photograph/concept by Marina. Seems fair.

Hecturr

This isn't shade, but what's the point of ''up and coming'' singers to make labels? How will they have funds to support artists they sign?

RAMROD

Fans always worries for such menial things lmao

Understand that nothing is purely unique anymore.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Azor Ahai

OK they both have a tropical beach rainbow theme but that isn't a very unique theme anyway :emma: 

I'm glad she replied to the crazy stans though.

pink sushi

I feel like this whole issue is more of the photographer's fault than anyone else's.... :S After reading Charli's response, I doubt she intentionally decided to use Marina's album imagery.  It seems like she just came to the photographer wanting a photo shoot that reflected a fruity perfume and the photographer decided to re-use Marina's neon nature theme without thinking....

When I saw Marina's comments last night, the first thing I noticed was that Charli's photoshoot was shot by the SAME photographer who shot Marina's FROOT album artwork. It crossed my mind that this might be the main reason why the photos are so similar, but then again, it's very possible that Charli had been studying Marina's Froot imagery and asked for a similar style for this photoshoot. But after reading Charli's response, it's clear this probably wasn't the case....

And it seems like Marina automatically assumed that it was Charli's idea to use that imagery, when it was the photographer's idea.

nikola

i agree with her 100%........i am glad she comented on this with such a class

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

brendablethyn

That's what happens Ms Charlie when you put bling before the music. You should only put your name to work you are prepared to stand by. In this case you took the coins without doing your research. 

Archived