Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's career expansion.

giskardsb

Featured Posts

giskardsb

It's interesting to think of Gaga's career post-ARTPOP.   The Cheek To Cheek album and tour.   Many high profile guest artist appearances, every one of which was stripped down and showcased Gaga's innate musical intuition and ability.     The Sound of Music at Oscars.  Grammy appearance doing jazz with Tony and win for C2C.   The Hunting Ground with Diane Warren, showcasing a vocal and song style not liked by many pop fans.  American Horror Story, her first major acting role.  We all know the score at this point.

Everything she's done is basically in 180 degree opposition to what pop fans would have suggested to "fix" her career if they were managing her. 

If fact she's really done nothing to this point to directly "resurrect" Lady Gaga as pop star as we've known her.   Everything she's done is to put herself into the larger public conscious as more than a pop star.  @Ronlop's thread on Gaga having not "won back the GP" is basically true, if your definition of "GP" includes only traditional pop fans.

What she has done, is built a lot of good will around her name and greatly expanded her career options.   I think her plan all along was to be an all around entertainer, not someone limited to doing one thing.  As she said at the Golden Globes, she "always wanted to be an actress, but music worked out first."  Pop star was not the top goal, but just part of a broad set of career goals.   The last two years she's made huge steps to open up those other avenues for her.  The Sound of Music was basically an audition for Broadway.  AHS was her step into professional acting.  People now know that she is capable, and her star power has always been a near-tactile thing, she has IT.

I think it's going to be real interesting to see her approach to LG5.   Will she try to stabilize her traditional pop base?  Or will she try to spread her musical influence to a part of the larger audience she's been building goodwill towards?  

Or maybe LG5 will simply be the music she feels she wants to make right now, with no greater "plan" in mind other than artistic intent.   

In any case, I think Gaga has proven that when she follows her instincts and has the right people supporting her, the results can be fantastic.   She has given herself the opportunity for a long and varied career exploring all her artistic ambitions.  We in turn get to watch a multi-facetted and talented woman explore herself and see what she can do, and perhaps maybe be inspired a bit to push ourselves and step out of our own boxes.

Mobster

Very interesting read. That would mean it's all part of a greater plan. However, as much as I love Gaga, I believe most of this has been spontaneous.

Up until ARTPOP, it seemed as though she was simply following the path to becoming a major pop star. But ever since the media turned its back on her, even before ARTPOP (mid BTW-era to be precise) but I guess Troy leaving her was probably the turning point, she must have realized it would be smarter to take some time off.

She's obviously very aware of how the media and the GP love to put artists on a pedestal and once they are there, they indulge in tearing them apart. But it's always this rollercoaster of up and downs. This is not only her break from being a pop star, but her break from the media.

She engaged in "smaller" projects; projects that are safe from public criticism. Such as singing jazz and writing TIHTY. People would only find out about those projects if they did well, otherwise, it wouldn't really damage her image. Her riskiest move must have been AHS. While she did have a certain buffer, because she wasn't embarking on a new show, but rather a solidified series, with a large fanbase, she risked not living up to the expectations.

All in all, I still think this was all rather improvised, but it must have originated from ARTPOP's (undeserved) fiasco.

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

giskardsb
8 minutes ago, Mobster said:

All in all, I still think this was all rather improvised, but it must have originated from ARTPOP's (undeserved) fiasco.

I think it had less to do with ARTPOP itself than with the events that led to her separating from Troy, where she decided it was time to take control of her own career and do things as she wanted to do rather than being pushed around by somebody else's script for her.

I always seen her expanding in the entertainment business! 

1. Musician

2. Actress

3. P*rnstar :hor:

Mobster
3 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

I think it had less to do with ARTPOP itself than with the events that led to her separating from Troy, where she decided it was time to take control of her own career and do projects she wanted to do rather than being pushed around by somebody else script for her.

That might be true. I always assumed ARTPOP's "underperformance" was one of the main reasons they split. I know there could be lots of other reasons but it just seems very plausible to believe that Troy left Gaga after she stopped being the lucrative project she once was. Her various allegations that her team was "milking her like a cow" gave me that impression. That's why I always equate ARTPOP's "failure" with Troy leaving her. But who knows?

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

Reality

I absolutely love it. I think it's incredible that Gaga's an artist of many talents, and not limited to just one. Not only does this solidify her longevity in the entertainment industry, but it solidifys her legend.

Think about, 20 years from now, Gaga's going to be seen as someone like Madonna, or David Bowie, perhaps. And, I'm not saying that for the sole reason that I'm a Gaga fan. Her impact on pop culture and entertainment was/is completely profound, there's not denying that. I believed she's even talked about how she's going to be a legend someday, and that people will actually acknowledge her for it. Her impact her overall messages as an artist do nothing but good for people. 

Gaga's has and always will be more than your stereotypical one-hit-wonder. She's based and expanded on her career being Lady Gaga. God, even the name's iconic. I mean, with a name like "Lady Gaga", how are you not going to leave a legacy on this planet? Anyways, I completely love how this post recognizes her for more than just a singer—even though it's very important that she is. Gaga's going to be a true legend someday. 

🃏🖤👹

PopBitch
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I absolutely love it. I think it's incredible that Gaga's an artist of many talents, and not limited to just one. Not only does this solidify her longevity in the entertainment industry, but it solidify's her legend.

Think about, 20 years from now, Gaga's going to be seen as someone like Madonna, or David Bowie, perhaps. And, I'm not saying that for the sole reason that I'm a Gaga fan. Her impact on pop culture and entertainment was/is completely profound, there's not denying that. I believed she's even talked about how she's going to be a legend someday, and that people will actually acknowledge her for it. Her impact her overall messages as an artist do nothing but good for people. 

Gaga's has and always will be more than your stereotypical one-hit-wonder. She's based and expanded on her career being Lady Gaga. God, even the name's iconic. I mean, with a name like "Lady Gaga", how are you not going to leave a legacy on this planet? Anyways, I completely love how this post recognizes her for more than just a singer—even though it's very important that she is. Gaga's going to be a true legend someday. 

True, but to leave the kind of legacy she wants, she wants it to be about her songwriting capabilities.  ARTPOP was a letdown for a lot of people who felt like it was average, me included.  This new album is important more in terms of critical acclaim rather than how many millions it sells.  She bragged she was one of the best songwriters out there.  So I don't think it's so important how much she sells the next album but more that it is a return to form and a real piece of quality work as a whole that receives the respect she wants to gain back for her songwriting and builds on her legacy in that way.

She's proven she can tackle the standards, sing like a Goddess in tributes to other great artists singing their great classics.  But she's more than that.  She's a songwriter who needs to gain back that momentum.  The single she and Linda did I think was a nice step back to showcasing Gaga the songwriter.  

giskardsb
15 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Think about, 20 years from now, Gaga's going to be seen as someone like Madonna, or David Bowie, perhaps. 

More like Striesand or Liza or Cher I think. 

Bad Bromance

Bravo!!!  Very well said, @giskardsb:applause: 

Gaga's career continues to expand and it will be just a matter of years before our Queen is recognized as someone legendary, indeed!

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

She has "fixed" her career without releasing or performing any pop music.   In 2015 she has proven she is a multi-talented artist, won many awards, received critical acclaim, and gained the respect of the public.  She has never been in a better position to succeed in any avenue she chooses.

I live outside the space time continuum.

35 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

True, but to leave the kind of legacy she wants, she wants it to be about her songwriting capabilities.  ARTPOP was a letdown for a lot of people who felt like it was average, me included.  This new album is important more in terms of critical acclaim rather than how many millions it sells.  She bragged she was one of the best songwriters out there.  So I don't think it's so important how much she sells the next album but more that it is a return to form and a real piece of quality work as a whole that receives the respect she wants to gain back for her songwriting and builds on her legacy in that way.

She's proven she can tackle the standards, sing like a Goddess in tributes to other great artists singing their great classics.  But she's more than that.  She's a songwriter who needs to gain back that momentum.  The single she and Linda did I think was a nice step back to showcasing Gaga the songwriter.  

Yessss I agree 100%. She's amazing at singing covers of other legendary songs, but we need some legendary songs from her, that will go down in history and other artists will cover eventually. Sure, Bad Romance is great, but it's the sort of song not many people dare to touch. Bring on LG5.

30 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

More like Striesand or Liza or Cher I think. 

Striesand is truly one of a kind, but I agree with the general comparison.

Dangerous Man

Watch her become an athlete in the future and win gold medals at Olympics. :hor:

Spoiler

Jk, doubt it. 

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Just now, Nobody said:

Watch her become an athlete in the future and win gold medals at Olympics. :hor:

Reveal hidden contents

Jk, doubt it. 

Not with that hip. :emma:

Archived