Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Lack of Female Asian Pop Stars

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Riot Poof said:

"The lack of East Asian faces in the American pop scene is not a consequence of a mere lack of effort. Korean artists and their management have invested boatloads of money and brainpower in the hopes of one of their artists finally making it in the American market. K-pop idols like Rain, BoA, Wonder Girls and Girls’ Generation have all come to America with the hopes of planting a career here, but all have returned home with little to show for their efforts.

Their hopes are not baseless; these are some of the most successful and popular names in Asia. These are the names that make an entire continent’s pop culture tick. They are cool enough, sexy enough, and talented enough to play with the big boys and girls in America’s pop music industry. The creative staff behind them is experienced, hardworking, and talented. But Western audiences rarely give them a second glance — and even when they do, the reactions are all the same:

Can you really say this is not true though? Look at the music videos K-Pop artists make. They are so tacky. I haven't heard a good song in that genre in years, even though I like exploring and trying new things.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Representation is important. For you to suggest that out of an entire group of people there isn't anyone talented is very close minded. It's not about not liking white or black people. Until you have heard every musician on the planet, you cannot say there isn't "anyone like that out there". Asian people in general face a lot of discrimination in the entertainment industry, Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy series Master of None has a great episode that addresses this.

Why is representation important? I honestly dont get it. No it is not. What matters is doing a good job at your chosen profession. As long as the music is good it shouldnt matter what the race of the person is who is singing it.

I don't believe that if there was a good enough singer, she wouldnt make it big just because he/she is asian. Ridiculous idea.

9 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Why is representation important? I honestly dont get it. No it is not. What matters is doing a good job at your chosen profession. As long as the music is good it shouldnt matter what the race of the person is who is singing it.

I don't believe that if there was a good enough singer, she wouldnt make it big just because he/she is asian. Ridiculous idea.

Why? Because all the young Asian kids in the Western world grow up seeing these people succeeding and being hailed as the best, most beautiful and talented when there is literally no one that looks like them being celebrated in the same way. It leads them to think it's an unachievable goal. That's a problem.

I agree with you, it shouldn't matter. But talented people aren't even given a chance in a lot of cases because of racial prejudice. That is the problem. Don't you think it's a little funny that out of the millions of Asian musicians, we're struggling to think of one that has broken out?

No one is saying they should make it big because they're Asian. Open your eyes.

Also you've ignored a lot of examples and references that have been posted. Why?

Riot Poof
35 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Can you really say this is not true though? Look at the music videos K-Pop artists make. They are so tacky. I haven't heard a good song in that genre in years, even though I like exploring and trying new things.

If K-Pop music videos are tacky, then American music videos are utter sh¡t.

Is this video tackier than "We Can't Stop"? "Dark Horse"? "Anaconda"? The unreleased video for "Do What U Want"? Hopefully not. And if you say yes, then you might as well call all of Lady Gaga's videos "tacky" as well.

31 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Because marginalized people wanna see themselves in the media. Is that so much to ask? We're not saying that we should praise Asian entertainers simply because they're Asian. We're just suspicious that Asian acts rarely break through to the Western world, as I mentioned earlier.

Believe what you want to believe, but you can't change the fact that several entertainers of Asian descent have spoken out against racism in the entertainment industry and how it's detrimental to their success in the industry. Clean and Harry even provided examples. This makes it more likely that Asians don't succeed in the industry because they're being discriminated against, not because they're not talented enough.

19 minutes ago, faux said:

Maybe they're just not good enough?

EtRGgn8.gif

Do you really think that nobody from an entire race of people is good enough to be a pop star in the Western world? You and Creyk need to do some serious critical thinking and soul-searching for implying that there are no Asian musicians worthy of being pop stars in the Western world. There is no way y'all would know of every musician out there of Asian descent and if you'd like their music, so sit.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

45 minutes ago, Riot Poof said:

Is this video tackier than "We Can't Stop"? "Dark Horse"? "Anaconda"? The unreleased video for "Do What U Want"? Hopefully not. And if you say yes, then you might as well call all of Lady Gaga's videos "tacky" as well.

Because marginalized people wanna see themselves in the media. Is that so much to ask? We're not saying that we should praise Asian entertainers simply because they're Asian. We're just suspicious that Asian acts rarely break through to the Western world, as I mentioned earlier.

Believe what you want to believe, but you can't change the fact that several entertainers of Asian descent have spoken out against racism in the entertainment industry and how it's detrimental to their success in the industry. Clean and Harry even provided examples. This makes it more likely that Asians don't succeed in the industry because they're being discriminated against, not because they're not talented enough.

Do you really think that nobody from an entire race of people is good enough to be a pop star in the Western world? You and Creyk need to do some serious critical thinking and soul-searching for implying that there are no Asian musicians worthy of being pop stars in the Western world. There is no way y'all would know of every musician out there of Asian descent and if you'd like their music, so sit.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Why? Because all the young Asian kids in the Western world grow up seeing these people succeeding and being hailed as the best, most beautiful and talented when there is literally no one that looks like them being celebrated in the same way. It leads them to think it's an unachievable goal. That's a problem.

I agree with you, it shouldn't matter. But talented people aren't even given a chance in a lot of cases because of racial prejudice. That is the problem. Don't you think it's a little funny that out of the millions of Asian musicians, we're struggling to think of one that has broken out?

No one is saying they should make it big because they're Asian. Open your eyes.

Also you've ignored a lot of examples and references that have been posted. Why?

Well I looked at the examples user Clean posted but I was not impressed. However I like the good sis so I didn't want to diss her taste.

As for them saying that they are not getting their big break because they are asian, come on now is that really true? or is it like, they were just lazy and problematic and when the people around them didn't want to work with them these entertainers said it must be because of their race because it's always easier to blame others rather than acknowledge your own mistakes. That is a very real human thing to do, always try to blame others for your own shortcomings. I'm just not convinced.

I didn't meet anyone who had something against asian people in my life. Sure some people feel threatened by black people because of the reputation they have, but I don't see that happen with Asians

Just now, Creyk said:

Well I looked at the examples user Clean posted but I was not impressed. However I like the good sis so I didn't want to diss her taste.

As for them saying that they are not getting their big break because they are asian, come on now is that really true? or is it like, they were just lazy and problematic and when the people around them didn't want to work with them these entertainers said it must be because of their race because it's always easier to blame others rather than acknowledge your own mistakes. That is a very real human thing to do, always try to blame others for your own shortcomings. I'm just not convinced.

I didn't meet anyone who had something against asian people in my life. Sure some people feel threatened by black people because of the reputation they have, but I don't see that happen with Asians

So all Asian musicians are lazy and problematic?

1 minute ago, Harry said:

So all Asian musicians are lazy and problematic?

No that was just an example. But don't tell me that if there was an Asian singer as talented as queen Gaga who also had a good management team right in place and the right material, she wouldn't succeed just because of her race. That's so silly, people don't go like "oh this song is by an asian I won't buy it"

7 minutes ago, Creyk said:

No that was just an example. But don't tell me that if there was an Asian singer as talented as queen Gaga who also had a good management team right in place and the right material, she wouldn't succeed just because of her race. That's so silly, people don't go like "oh this song is by an asian I won't buy it"

But that's the point... They don't get those opportunities. Most people that have the power in the industry are white men and a lot of those men don't see minorities as commercially viable artists. That's just the truth. Without people on your side you can't get good management, access to hit producers/writers and the platform to promote and market your material to the masses. Those aren't things you can just get by sending an email to someone. I don't think the problem is with the audiences. You're totally missing the point. It's the same in the movie industry. What about all the white-washing controversies lately? The old people running show business don't think that we will pay money for anything other than attractive white actors/musicians.

It sounds to me like you're trying to pretend racism doesn't exist and you're looking for literally any other excuse.

Aziz Ansari: "That’s a real thing that happens. When they cast these shows, they’re like, 'We already have our minority guy or our minority girl.' There would never be two Indian people in one show. With Asian people, there can be one, but there can't be two. Black people, there can be two, but there can't be three because then it becomes a black show. Gay people, there can be two; women, there can be two; but Asian people, Indian people, there can be one but there can't be two." - http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/aziz-ansari-on-hollywood-racism.html

DiscoHeaven23
1 hour ago, Riot Poof said:

thank you for your informed words. You completely understand what I was getting at when I made this post. :applause:

DiscoHeaven23
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

But that's the point... They don't get those opportunities. Most people that have the power in the industry are white men and a lot of those men don't see minorities as commercially viable artists. That's just the truth. Without people on your side you can't get good management, access to hit producers/writers and the platform to promote and market your material to the masses. Those aren't things you can just get by sending an email to someone. I don't think the problem is with the audiences. You're totally missing the point. It's the same in the movie industry. What about all the white-washing controversies lately? The old people running show business don't think that we will pay money for anything other than attractive white actors/musicians.

It sounds to me like you're trying to pretend racism doesn't exist and you're looking for literally any other excuse.

Aziz Ansari: "That’s a real thing that happens. When they cast these shows, they’re like, 'We already have our minority guy or our minority girl.' There would never be two Indian people in one show. With Asian people, there can be one, but there can't be two. Black people, there can be two, but there can't be three because then it becomes a black show. Gay people, there can be two; women, there can be two; but Asian people, Indian people, there can be one but there can't be two." - http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/aziz-ansari-on-hollywood-racism.html

well said :applause:

Luna Lovegood

CL makes solo debut first, success, then bring her group (2NE1) to the western media. That would slay so bad!  Imagine Gaga ft. 2NE1 (even if it is never going to happen)

3d4cdabfcc1a9017c6b0fdede64aa7e4e91b3362

luna’s advocate

Archived