Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Lack of Female Asian Pop Stars

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

I am rooting for CL. I'm also loving the fact she's aware of the Asian stereotype and won't take it. I'm hoping she blows up to a mainstream megastar in the US and Europe. She's got Asia anyway.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FrozenKookie

I'm not hoping too much but I'd be ****ing happy if CL made it to US spotlight 

I hope CL makes it, she's the best chance to have an asian pop star. I love her voice and her solo songs are really fun. She's got a lot of charisma too

Well, first of all the language drives people away from them. And also the stereotype that comes with listening to that music I guess? It's a weird thing, and appreciating Asian culture has been seen as a bad thing lately, with the whole weeaboo hate train going around.

migamiga

There was a similar thread regarding this topic. I don't really have the time/energy to reiterate everything I said but maybe you can find it in my recent posts. 

But to put it shortly, America still has a lot of racial issues that needs to be worked out- especially hollywood

theres a lack of Asians in mass media period

15 hours ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

She's from Iceland...

it was a joke 

FullSizeRender_3-e1431550027669.jpg?resi

Bring back the old users y'all aint fun 

Riot Poof

I REALLY hope CL breaks through. I don't want her ending up like poor Utada.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

I don't understand why do you NEED an asian pop star for the sake of having an asian pop star? Like, do you hate blacks and white people so much? Or what? What's this obsession with all races having to be represented. If there was a singer who is a visionary, has fresh new ideas, good singing talent and the aura of a superstar, and she happened to be asian, she would make it for sure. It's just that there isn't anyone like that out there currently.

Riot Poof
7 minutes ago, Creyk said:

I don't understand why do you NEED an asian pop star for the sake of having an asian pop star? Like, do you hate blacks and white people so much? Or what? What's this obsession with all races having to be represented. If there was a singer who is a visionary, has fresh new ideas, good singing talent and the aura of a superstar, and she happened to be asian, she would make it for sure. It's just that there isn't anyone like that out there currently.

It's just very suspicious that a very prominent race has few representatives in Western media!

Also, saying that there are no Asian women musicians who fit your criteria is a bit much. Not to mention that, unfortunately, talent alone isn't enough to make it in the music business. I'm sure someone else can explain this better than I can, but don't just write it off as "there are no Asian women musicians talented enough to be a pop star in the Western world."

1 minute ago, Riot Poof said:

"there are no Asian women musicians talented enough to be a pop star in the Western world."

Well can you name 4-5 because I honestly  can't.

Talent always finds a way. Look at Gaga, Lana, Justin (even if he has a bad personality, he was just recognized for his talent)

AbuHassan1992
14 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Talent always finds a way. Look at Gaga, Lana, Justin (even if he has a bad personality, he was just recognized for his talent)

no, talent doesn't always find a way. You could be the best singer in the world, but still never make it

Serendipity
25 minutes ago, Creyk said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmnfmXlZCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBCnbz3X5QY

her story:

An Asian by blood, born on American soil had to move away because labels were refusing to give her a record deal because she was not "markatable"

http://callmepatricia.com/2012/12/13/gangnam-style-racism-and-the-evolving-asian-stereotype/

http://www.asamnews.com/2015/03/07/tv-producer-asian-guys-in-my-show-not-gonna-happen/

http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,blogs,forums/hollywood-asian-stereotypes.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/21/jeremy-lin-racism-asian-americans

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

1 hour ago, Creyk said:

Representation is important. For you to suggest that out of an entire group of people there isn't anyone talented is very close minded. It's not about not liking white or black people. Until you have heard every musician on the planet, you cannot say there isn't "anyone like that out there". Asian people in general face a lot of discrimination in the entertainment industry, Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy series Master of None has a great episode that addresses this.

50 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Those people are also all white, bad examples...

Riot Poof

"The lack of East Asian faces in the American pop scene is not a consequence of a mere lack of effort. Korean artists and their management have invested boatloads of money and brainpower in the hopes of one of their artists finally making it in the American market. K-pop idols like Rain, BoA, Wonder Girls and Girls’ Generation have all come to America with the hopes of planting a career here, but all have returned home with little to show for their efforts.

Their hopes are not baseless; these are some of the most successful and popular names in Asia. These are the names that make an entire continent’s pop culture tick. They are cool enough, sexy enough, and talented enough to play with the big boys and girls in America’s pop music industry. The creative staff behind them is experienced, hardworking, and talented. But Western audiences rarely give them a second glance — and even when they do, the reactions are all the same:

'They’re the Asian version of [insert White entertainer here].'

Or,

'They need to stop trying so hard.'

As far as the Western hivemind is concerned, Asians have no place filling the role of the fierce pop star capable of owning the stage and captivating an audience with powerful vocals dance moves. The idea of an Asian playing pop star runs contrary to all of the Asian stereotypes propagated by Western society. It makes Western audiences uncomfortable, and this discomfort is only slightly reduced when the Asian artist in question is juxtaposed against a White equivalent who is usually seen as more well-refined, more experienced, and superior — a standard that the comparatively inferior Asian artist ought to aspire to." - (x)

7ebba1cca0dc4098d2460ff6b7a05dd5.png

Archived