Pop Art

Featured Posts

Pop Art

-

SlayLin

Didn't read any of that (I'm sorry) but

shΓ­t u right

xTiTnuuxeB7o5GYzZe.gif

You rage for no reason because you have No Reason.

Rat Boy
11 minutes ago, Neon Angel said:

Didn't read any of that (I'm sorry) but

shΓ­t u right

xTiTnuuxeB7o5GYzZe.gif

Where is that gif from lmao.

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

SlayLin
9 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

Where is that gif from lmao.

behind the scenes for adele's "hello" i presume :)

You rage for no reason because you have No Reason.

Pop Art

-

Dark Anatomy
4 minutes ago, The Night said:

Not (what I hoped to be)Β my intellectualΒ thread turning into a kiii'ing at a(n admittedly hilarious) GIF thread. :deadbanana:

Go back and edit it. Split it up into spaced paragraph and highlight thesis point. That should change the way people respond. Right now it looks a bit intimidating.Β 

Pop Art

-

Dark Anatomy
5 minutes ago, The Night said:

Done. Let's see what happens.

That definitely made it easier to read! And I agree!

Chris Evans

I agree except for C2C I genuinely believe she onlyΒ did that album because she likes jazz and tony benett- no actual statement just doing what she loves.Β 

I used to not like the cover for The Fame bc it seemed sort of dullΒ but then I saw a video of her explaining it is like a magazine cover that's been dried out in the sun (or something along those lines, she explained it well) and looking at it and the font she used it just made so much sense +Β went well with the whole hollywood/glamour thing that album was about

XoXoJoanneGaga

Yea I wouldn't say C2C is a commentary on anything, it's no different than any other jazz standards album. And for the ARTPOP commentary you meant to say that she touched on those topics during the era's interviews (mainly at the end of the era) right? Cause she certainly doesn't on the album itself outside of the obvious title track.

Good read though. I can't wait to see how LG5 will fit, I think it'll have the most lyrical content of all her albums by a great margin.

Girl, what?

Of course you're right here and there but some of your sentencesΒ are just a bunch of words thrown together.

β€œCheek to CheekΒ is a commentary on standards and tradition in popular culture (...) The album speaks less through lyrics and more through melody and intention, as she showcases her voice as she hadn’t on previous releases to promote the idea of natural talent over cheap tactics as a selling point within pop culture."

tumblr_mch84ajIZR1rvlpdco4_250.giftumblr_mch84ajIZR1rvlpdco3_250.gif

Cheek to Cheek isn't a commentary on anything. It was purely made because that's what she grew up on. Her parents adored Tony Benett, she sung jazz at the age of 13 (do we really need to remind ourselves of that, it's like a cult phrase by now on here). It was in the pipeline for years and she finally got around to it after ARTPOP. There's no deeper explanation, there's no essays that need to be written over it's hidden cultural impact. It's very simple: she loves jazz, she loves Tony, he loves her and he basically ISΒ jazz, it's good exposure for both of them, they have a close bound, hence it was made. Yes, it was another way of showcasing her raw vocal talent besides acoustic performances of her pop songs. She also took on other flattering gigs, such as the Oscars one,Β but it doesn't require a deep discussion I think. She loves to do itΒ and it boosted her public profile. Sometimes, there isn't a deeper meaning to sh*t. Sometimes people don't overa--lyse things before they do themΒ and just do them because they can or because they want to. It's like that time Gaga wore a green coat and someone asked her why she wore a green coat and she was like "I feel like green represents peace" or some sh*t like that. I remember thinking "I love you b*tch, but really? Really?"Β 

One of my favorite Gaga quotes is this one:Β "To me, art doesn't necessarily have to be a prophecy. This is what I like, this is what I don't. This is what I deal with." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyqcoWUBJE)Β As much as I love her and her social commentary and adore Born This Way, she seriously overcomplicated some stuff during ARTPOP. The message was supposed to be this entire thing when in reality she was promoting with H&M and made a mainstream "safe" EDM album. I get that she wanted to work with Koons, Marina and other artists but there's other ways of combining it with a mainstream career. Remember when she worked with Terence Koh during TFM for instance? That was double slayage, because the mainstream gets theΒ "weird" yet hit-making blonde popstar and the art scene (and we, her stans) get the "artist"Β and the deeper reference. But promoting in H&M looking like 2001Β Britney Spears only to release a video of yourself walking naked in the woods with disheveled hair the next day isn't going to work. I get that it was the intention to mix pop and art, to be "every icon." But we see how that worked out, didn't we? Besides, where was the need for that message anyway? Her entire career was built on the very principle of mixing the two and the way she did it in the previous era's was fine to begin with. At least then, it worked.Β 

Mainstream pop careers can be full of artistry and art references, the trick to making that work is not to over-explain it, which is what Gaga did with ARTPOP. The regular 20 year old Top 40 pop lover doesn't care about Marina, Jeff or any artist with a capital A, really. So why throw that into their faces? There's a time and a place to explain your art.Β Look at Madonna. Her Bedtime Story music video is in the f*cking MoMA. Real pop fans and Madonna stans know that, the mainstream public doesn't. And that's fine, that's the way to do it. MadonnaΒ discussed herΒ video in a deep article with an art magazine and for the mainstream public she simply just madeΒ a new "weird"Β video. They can be creeped out or intrigued enough to research that it was influenced by surrealism and poetry or they can just enjoy the song and it's "creepy"Β visual. Leaving the public to choose what they want to do with your art is key. Gaga left her audience no choice. It was like "I'm doing this, saying this, making this because this, this and that." She over-explained it and it became a mess.Β 

Art doesn't need to be explained constantly. You can discuss it, but not in every.single.interview.Β Gaga's domination a couple of years ago was based on the fact anyone could enjoy her. You could love her for the hits, or you could love her because she had some interesting influences in her music and visuals. You could just enjoy her music asΒ a soccer momΒ and you could enjoy her as a modern art student, totally excited over her art history references.Β Wether you loved her or wether you hated her, she got you talking, she was polarising. There was a universal aspect to that and let's be honest here, she lost that with ARTPOP and the past year has been nothing but an effort to boost her public profile and remind the world she's really gifted. All the while doing the things she loves.

Phew. That was a long *ss essay all to remind you (OP) that essays are not necessary.
LOL

Pop Art

-

Archived