đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Would Iggy Azalea be taken more seriously if she was black?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

TimisaMonster

Like people take Nicki seriously? Lol

Stream my new single, đź’ś"Heartbeat"đź’ś, on Spotify!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond
Just now, ARTPOPdidntflop said:

You're not very familiar with the Rap genre. You call those things trash but all those raps are literally way better than anything iggy has written. :flop:

Just because something isn't serious and is fun doesn't mean it's "Trash". Starships is a fun light pop song. Don't be a negative nancy :deadbanana:

I AM familiar with the rap genre which is why I DON'T like these songs. Because I know there's far better examples of rap out there from Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, Dr Dre, Lil Kim, Missy Elliott, Kanye, NWA, Immortal Technique and more. Nicki's got her moments, but they're few and far between. The Pinkprint is my favourite album from her (but it's still just ok, although it was close to "above average") because she takes her raps more seriously as opposed to the sillier ones she did earlier in her career and she's whittled the pop right down because it was too much of a sell-out and she never did pop as well as she did rap. I don't know why you consider the songs I listed as good - her voice is annoying, she makes ridiculous sound effects and laughs, her lyrics are childish and make no sense in places and she's just not taking things seriously. She even indulges in a little bit of racism here and there. Iggy has never made any songs as ridiculous as those ones of Nicki's. I'd take a fake Southern accent over a valley girl bimbo accent with irritating sound effects and laughs.

Of course just because something is fun doesn't make it trash. But there's ways to do fun in a way that isn't embarassing and bad. Fancy, Bounce and Trouble are examples of fun songs from Iggy that aren't trash. Iggy takes a mature stance on rap whereas Nicki takes a very immature stance some of the time, which is weird, considering she's almost 33. I'd be embarrassed to sing some of her material and I'm 25.

ARTPOPdidntflop
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

I AM familiar with the rap genre which is why I DON'T like these songs. Because I know there's far better examples of rap out there from Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, Dr Dre, Lil Kim, Missy Elliott, Kanye, NWA, Immortal Technique and more. Nicki's got her moments, but they're few and far between. The Pinkprint is my favourite album from her (but it's still just ok, although it was close to "above average") because she takes her raps more seriously as opposed to the sillier ones she did earlier in her career and she's whittled the pop right down because it was too much of a sell-out and she never did pop as well as she did rap. I don't know why you consider the songs I listed as good - her voice is annoying, she makes ridiculous sound effects and laughs, her lyrics are childish and make no sense in places and she's just not taking things seriously. She even indulges in a little bit of racism here and there. Iggy has never made any songs as ridiculous as those ones of Nicki's. I'd take a fake Southern accent over a valley girl bimbo accent with irritating sound effects and laughs.

Of course just because something is fun doesn't make it trash. But there's ways to do fun in a way that isn't embarassing and bad. Fancy, Bounce and Trouble are examples of fun songs from Iggy that aren't trash. Iggy takes a mature stance on rap whereas Nicki takes a very immature stance some of the time, which is weird, considering she's almost 33. I'd be embarrassed to sing some of her material and I'm 25.

What racism is Nicki indulging in? Don't tell me it's saying the word N**** bc thats not it.. :deadbanana: 

The effects and laughs were apart of her Persona back then. Are you embarrassed that Lana keeps talking about her 'Daddy', Lana has a lot of paedophilic tones in her songs, but ofcourse her artistry isn't about pedophilia. Nicki can use silly effects and laughs if that's the point of her album/direction. Nicki had to use the platform of Pop to get ahead, as did Iggy with songs like "Fancy". 

Also I think this is my last comment, Fancy, Bounce, and Trouble are literally teeny bop songs, the same ones you claim are trash. :flop: 

Gaga x Nicki x Azealia x Ariana x Kesha x Bey

4 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

No, I do accept that some people don't like her for her raps, flow, image and so on. I totally understand why. But is it too much to ask that we at least consider any other factors playing a role? It's not to say that it's the only factor or that everyone takes this factor into account. But it is a valid thing to consider. My aim is more to discuss than to argue until someone wins. And no one really wins anyway seeing how music is mostly subjective.

And those accusations show that you know nothing about me and you've repeatedly got the wrong end of the stick. Please note that I was never mean to you. I even liked something you said once. So, where does all this hate towards me come from? Why can't you state your opinion without alays quoting mine to argue with it? What do I have to do to make you like me at all?

If you had the decency to read my original post in this thread you would know that I covered every base surrounding her, explaining why people don't like her aside from her race. But you aren't decent, and you can't accept those reasons. I considered it explicitly and came to a conclusion but you refused all of it. You child.

Are you serious? You're constantly trying to belittle me. I.e. "you're s-xist" "x many people like me" "so many people think you're as terrible I do"... You opened the damn thread so if you didn't want opinions then you should start a blog or something. Fascist.

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

because she takes her raps more seriously as opposed to the sillier ones she did earlier in her career and she's whittled the pop right down because it was too much of a sell-out and she never did pop as well as she did rap.

Yet you're standing up for someone that produces the likes of Fancy and Black Widow that are designed to appeal to pop audiences? You're so clueless and bias that it's painful to watch.

StrawberryBlond

What racism is Nicki indulging in? Don't tell me it's saying the word N**** bc thats not it.. :deadbanana: 

The effects and laughs were apart of her Persona back then. Are you embarrassed that Lana keeps talking about her 'Daddy', Lana has a lot of paedophilic tones in her songs, but ofcourse her artistry isn't about pedophilia. Nicki can use silly effects and laughs if that's the point of her album/direction. Nicki had to use the platform of Pop to get ahead, as did Iggy with songs like "Fancy". 

Also I think this is my last comment, Fancy, Bounce, and Trouble are literally teeny bop songs, the same ones you claim are trash. :flop: 

No, I'm talking about those lines I gave you last week. When in Roman In Moscow, she said "I'm a racist, I'm a bigot," and in Stupid Hoe she said "those nappy headed hoes" and "you're gonna be the stunt double to the n***a monkey." If any white rapper had said these things, all hell would have broken loose.

It's still part of her persona now - end of Anaconda, anyone? To be honest, I've never been keen on Lana's references to her "daddy" because that kind of thing has always rubbed me up the wrong way but I know she's a character and talking about a pet name for a man older than her (but she's an adult too). And she doesn't do it now anyway. Yes, silly effects and laughs may be part of Nicki's persona, but that doesn't make it good and doesn't mean I have to like it. And you think Nicki using pop to get ahead was ok but for Iggy, it's selling out? Am I reading this correctly? And Iggy has never been as pop as Nicki tried to be.

I like Fancy a lot but Bounce and Trouble aren't her best work, but they're far from trash. I'm sure if Nicki released them, you'd be all over them like flies on roadkill. If you think songs like Starships are good and not teeny bop, I can tell right away you're biased. Iggy doesn't sing, she only raps whereas Nicki has sung before and still does. Now, that really is the ultimate sell out for a rapper. She collabed with RedOne for all those tracks on RR and they all involved her singing (terribly) over generic pop tunes. That isn't teeny bopper but Iggy rapping over a beat is? WTF?!

Just now, Harry said:

If you had the decency to read my original post in this thread you would know that I covered every base surrounding her, explaining why people don't like her aside from her race. But you aren't decent, and you can't accept those reasons. I considered it explicitly and came to a conclusion but you refused all of it. You child.

Are you serious? You're constantly trying to belittle me. I.e. "you're s-xist" "x many people like me" "so many people think you're as terrible I do"... You opened the damn thread so if you didn't want opinions then you should start a blog or something. Fascist.

I had read it originally. But just because you don't agree with my assertion doesn't make you right. I'm not right either, it's just an opinion. But you have taken your opinion and tried to make it out to be fact and make me look stupid for merely having a different opinion. You've just tried to steer the thread in the direction you wanted and got annoyed when I still wasn't agreeing with you. That's childish behaviour if ever I saw it.

I asked for opinions, not for people to be nasty to others and try to make others adapt to their opinions. Who's the fascist now?

Just now, Harry said:

Yet you're standing up for someone that produces the likes of Fancy and Black Widow that are designed to appeal to pop audiences? You're so clueless and bias that it's painful to watch.

They may be mainstream and commercial and designed to appeal to the public, but that doesn't make them pop. Putting a non-rap feature on it doesn't make them pop either (just like how a popstat featuring a rapper doesn't make the song rap). I think the music videos are what give the illusion that these songs are pop when they're not.

1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I had read it originally. But just because you don't agree with my assertion doesn't make you right. I'm not right either, it's just an opinion. But you have taken your opinion and tried to make it out to be fact and make me look stupid for merely having a different opinion. You've just tried to steer the thread in the direction you wanted and got annoyed when I still wasn't agreeing with you. That's childish behaviour if ever I saw it.

I asked for opinions, not for people to be nasty to others and try to make others adapt to their opinions. Who's the fascist now?

They may be mainstream and commercial and designed to appeal to the public, but that doesn't make them pop. Putting a non-rap feature on it doesn't make them pop either (just like how a popstat featuring a rapper doesn't make the song rap). I think the music videos are what give the illusion that these songs are pop when they're not.

How? People have given plenty of reasons that they don't like Iggy but you're constantly looking the other way and going "nope, race". I've said COUNTLESS times there's nothing wrong with liking Iggy but you're pretending she's something that she isn't.

You're so vapid and uneducated.

OH MY GOD again with comparing iggy with nicki

like nickis flow is amazing stop speaking **** :lmao: its not even comparable 

14 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Iggy doesn't sing, she only raps whereas Nicki has sung before and still does. Now, that really is the ultimate sell out for a rapper. 

I can't believe what I'm reading. You really can't be this dumb. You think singing is selling out? Let me not... You think Lauryn Hill and Missy are sell out rappers too because they've sung? You continue to demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge about rap and the genre's credibility. Truly humiliating. Nicki made some unapologetically pop smashes, no one is denying that. But she never pretended it was straight-up rap. But Iggy's music has clearly been made for pop radio, even if she is rapping. Trouble, Fancy, Black Widow (LITERALLY co-written by Katy Perry for goodness sake) are all pop-rap.

But if you really want to have this conversation about "selling out" and singing etc, lets do this, shall we?

Her rap roots are so clear in this early video! Very genuine and authentic talent. Her rap interests have always been so clear!

Stop embarrassing yourself.

ARTPOPdidntflop
2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I've never been keen on Lana's references to her "daddy" because that kind of thing has always rubbed me up the wrong way but I know she's a character and talking about a pet name for a man older than her (but she's an adult too). Yes, silly effects and laughs may be part of Nicki's persona, but that doesn't make it good and doesn't mean I have to like it.

:toofunny:

Also black people are allowed to say ni***. Ofcourse her being black allows to get away with saying certain things. Why do white people want to say ni*** so badly :toofunny: 

ARTPOPdidntflop
2 hours ago, Harry said:

I can't believe what I'm reading. You really can't be this dumb. You think singing is selling out? Let me not... You think Lauryn Hill and Missy are sell out rappers too because they've sung? You continue to demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge about rap and the genre's credibility. Truly humiliating. Nicki made some unapologetically pop smashes, no one is denying that. But she never pretended it was straight-up rap. But Iggy's music has clearly been made for pop radio, even if she is rapping. Trouble, Fancy, Black Widow (LITERALLY co-written by Katy Perry for goodness sake) are all pop-rap.

But if you really want to have this conversation about "selling out" and singing etc, lets do this, shall we?

Her rap roots are so clear in this early video! Very genuine and authentic talent. Her rap interests have always been so clear!

Harry Stop she won't budge :deadbanana::flop::rip:

This video is the ultimate receipt though :toofunny: 

imwoahvicky
1 minute ago, ARTPOPdidntflop said:

Harry Stop she won't budge :deadbanana::flop::rip:

This video is the ultimate receipt though :toofunny: 

WTF this is Iggy? This is so much autotune.

âšś Roll Deep âšś

ARTPOPdidntflop
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

WTF this is Iggy? This is so much autotune.

Yes it's her

It's her attempt at a pop career before T.I created her rap persona :toofunny:

Also note the similarities between this and "Womanizer" by Brit brit :toofunny: 

"IGGY CAME TO AMERICA TO RAP" "TRUE RAPPER" "RAPPIN IS HER PASSION" 

StrawberryBlond
Just now, Harry said:

How? People have given plenty of reasons that they don't like Iggy but you're constantly looking the other way and going "nope, race". I've said COUNTLESS times there's nothing wrong with liking Iggy but you're pretending she's something that she isn't.

You're so vapid and uneducated.

You haven't exactly made it clear that there's nothing wrong with liking her. You've been calling me uneducated and top 40 focused every time I've tried to explain anything about her skills and basically saying that I don't have a clue if I find her talented. Sure sounds like you're saying that there's something wrong with liking her. I'm not pretending that she's something she isn't - I know she isn't the best rapper or lyricist or freestyler. I've never said she was. Her raps may be mainstream focused but that doesn't make them not rap.

Vapid and uneduated - the list of accusations you make of me get more absurd every day. It's amusing how I've been called something different and ludicrous every day by you, something no one has ever called me in reality or online. Are heading for some sort of record? And yet you insist you're not a bully and I'm just insistent on making you look bad? You're doing a fine job of that yourself. You're bullying someone for not having the same musical taste as you. And I'm the one who's supposed to grow up?

Just now, Harry said:

Lauryn Hill was never just rap, her album was a mixture of other styles too so she's allowed to sing. I've listened to all of Missy's albums and can't recall her singing, unless you're maybe talking about any features she's done, in which case, that's a bit more acceptable. How am I uneducated about rap because I think rappers should rap, as their profession entails? And Nicki has labelled all her music as rap, even when it wasn't. I wouldn't even call any of her pop stuff rap, even though she raps in it, it's just too far removed. Yet the 50/50 rap/pop RR album got nominated in rap categories left and right. Iggy has never been as pop as that. Even her beats aren't all that pop. Trouble is a soul-based beat, Fancy just has a "girly" rap beat and Black Widow has a dark trap beat.

Yes, Iggy tried to do pop once. It wasn't a success and she found a love for rap. What a crime! Civilians change their professions all the time - are they fake? You can find love for any kind of music later on in life and change your sound. If she abandons rap completely real soon and goes back to pure pop, then I'll call her fake but she's stayed with rap for now, so I don't see what the issue is.

:toofunny:

Also black people are allowed to say ni***. Ofcourse her being black allows to get away with saying certain things. Why do white people want to say ni*** so badly :toofunny: 

Once again, you skim over the obvious issue - she said "n***a monkey" - she's saying blacks are monkeys! Oh, yeah, and let's not forget her Anaconda video, with a jungle setting, bananas and black women in their most stereotypical roles! Doesn't matter what race is doing it, this is racism! This is one of the worst beliefs to have - that oppressed races are allowed to insult other oppressed races or even their own race. I can't believe you'd subscribe to that theory. This is what lets the wheel of hate never stop spinning. You're condoning racism. Once again, you expose what a terrible anti-racism crusader you are.

And look how you so masterfully skipped over the most obvious exmaple of racism from Nicki when she said "I'm a racist, I'm a bigot." Because there's really no defending that one, is there, when it's that brash and proud? Just like you skimmed over all those racist things I posted that Azealia Banks said. I just read about the attack she made on a random black girl on Instagram, calling her a "tar baby," that she needed to bleach her skin and go out and "pick my cotton before I give her 80 lashings." Yeah, keep denying racism when it's right under your nose, and from your fave, no less.

Archived