💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
thought

Is 'Hello' a song about loss?

FATCAT

Featured Posts

FATCAT

Last night, I was listening to Adele's new song 'Hello' and the song really threw me for a curve. I've listened to it a few times prior, but I always pictured it in the same 'oh its a love song about her ex-boyfriend'. Well, the my fathers birthday is coming up, and it's always a little hard on my family after his passing a few years back, so you could say I'm always a little emotionally compromised this time of year. After the song started, I felt like Adele was singing to a lost loved one 'From the other side'. While a few parts of the song obviously don't apply for all family members, it kind of makes sense..

"There's such a difference between us and a million miles"

"Hello from the other side
I must've called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home"

"At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart
Anymore"

Maybe I'm reaching, but this really got to me last night, I cried for a good thirty minutes :cry:

Purr more, hiss less.

PoshLife

I think it's a song about a breakup as illustrated by the music video, but I think it's wonderful that you found an alternative interpretation that touches you. I had the same experience with Vanessa Carlton's "Get Good" (which is really about divorce) after my father died a few years ago, as well.

Well Adele said herself in a radio interview that it's not about a love affair but about many different kinds of relationships, mostly from people she grew up with.

But your interpretation is really touching and the beautiful thing about music is that it can mean different things to different people and evoke different memories and feelings.

Swan Heart

I think it's about her ''calling'' her old self who was in a dark, sad place from this 'outside', 'other side'..  It feels like her setting things straight with herslef. Who she was and who is she now. Being sorry for things she has done to herself, things she hasn't done and wish she would have..

"At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart
Anymore"

It also fits her description of the whole album. "...it'a a make up album. I'm making up with myself." 

It's a really emotional, beautiful song and I'm sorry if my interpretation feels lame, I have never really been good with words. :sweat:

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

It is all of these things in this thread. It is a making up song, to yourself about loss and trying. It is so endearing and lovely, so strong.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived