💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Katy vs Nuns; Nuns still not giving up

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Serendipity

katy-perry-vs-the-nuns-bb32-2015-billboa

Beyond the gated, hilltop entrance of 3431 Waverly Drive -- a lush eight-acre estate in the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles -- sits a former convent, where today Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 86, has come to meet with Billboard. With her thin, white hair pressed back into a cornette, she glances around the parlor, bare except for a rare Aeolian organ previously used for grand church functions. For 40 years, this was home to the California Institute of the Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Now, none of the order’s remaining five nuns live here.

Four years ago, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles kicked the sisters out of the convent.

High-end real-estate feuds are as commonplace in Los Angeles as cloudless skies. But in the past months, this one has become national news. Los Angeles Archbishop Jose H. Gomez is fighting with five elderly IHM sisters over the sale of the convent -- a French-style chateau with Mediterranean flourishes, more than 30,000 square feet of living space and an adjoining prayer house. Gomez wants to sell the villa to 30-year-old global superstar Katy Perry, who has offered $14.5 million for the property. But the nuns, who control the deed, want to sell to local restaurateur Dana Hollister, 54.

But the feud isn’t just about a preference over buyer -- it’s a matter of trust. The nuns say that during the last two decades, their treatment by the archdiocese has devolved into a troubling pattern of neglect and broken promises, including the unsettling reality that the Waverly Drive property was used to harbor accused pedophiliac priests.Since the archdiocese brokered Perry’s offer to pay $14.5 million ($10 million in cash) without the nuns’ involvement, the sisters fear they won’t see a penny from the sale. Meanwhile, Hollister’s offer for $15.5 million (with only $100,000 in cash) was made directly to their order.

katy-perry-nuns-Sister-Rita-Callanan-Sis

The squabble escalated on June 11, when Perry visited Waverly Drive with a group that included the archbishop’s construction coordinator. But two security guards hired by Hollister blocked their path. According to an eyewitness, Perry’s group refused to leave, so the Los Angeles Police Department was notified. Perry was gone when two officers showed up, asking the remaining group to vacate. A day later, Archbishop Gomez filed a temporary restraining order against Hollister, the first in a complicated series of legal filings that will likely take years to resolve. (Perry declined to comment for this story, but her management supplied Billboard with the statement: “It is not appropriate for Katy to respond while this is being adjudicated in its proper forum, which is a court of law.”)

Beyond the legal battle, the transaction has turned into a conflict with religious overtones. In this schism between a local Roman Catholic hierarchy and a nearly extinct religious order, Perry, the daughter of evangelical Christian ministers, has been cast by the nuns (unfairly or not) as a secular agent in a war on the sacred.

For the nuns, this isn’t an issue of civil law, but divine law. “Katy Perry represents everything we don’t believe in,” says Holzman. “It would be a sin to sell to her.”

“A property with this much acreage is so rare,” says Josh Altman, real-estate-agent star of Bravo’s Million Dollar Listing. “If this was in Beverly Hills, it would be worth north of $50 million. One day this will easily be a $35 million-plus estate.”

Holzman had never heard of Perry until April, when Archbishop Gomez informed the five IHM sisters the pop star was buying their former home. This announcement came seven months after the archdiocese told the nuns it was asking $7 million for the estate, news that distressed the sisters. For one, $7 million seemed insultingly low -- they had been told years before the estate was worth at least three times that amount. (As it happens, any church--property transaction of more than $7.5 million in an archdiocese with more than 500,000 people requires final approval from the Vatican.)

Then Holzman researched Perry online and found a video interview in which the former gospel singer joked that she had found success as a secular artist because “I sold my soul to the devil.” ( ) This was alarming. “Even mentioning that she would sell her soul to Satan is against our principles and beliefs,” Holzman says now. In an email to then-Rev. Monsignor Joseph V. Brennan, she wrote, “In selling to Katy Perry, we feel we are being forced to violate our canonical vows to the Catholic Church.”

On May 26, at the archbishop’s urging, the five nuns met with Perry at nearby convalescent home Nazareth House, where two IHM sisters lived. As Holzman recalls, the pop star arrived late. Holzman mentioned the “devil” video she’d seen online. Perry said her comment was just for entertainment and showed them her left-wrist tattoo: the word “Jesus,” inked when she was 18.

At the request of Dunne, who sang along, Perry belted out the gospel song “Oh Happy Day,” reading the lyrics off her iPhone. She planned to turn the estate into a private residence for her family and employees, she told the women. She wanted to sip green tea and meditate in the gardens. “She was nice,” says Holzman. “She told us why she wanted the property and then sang a song and left.”

So who actually owns the Waverly Drive convent? That question dates back more than two decades. The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary were always fiscally independent of the archdiocese, collecting money through private donations, investments, fees from renting their home for events and -film shoots. In 1992, there were only 35 Immaculate Heart of Mary sisters left, with a median age of 69. Citing their infirmity as a grave concern, then-Archbishop Roger Mahony wrote to the Vatican with a proposal: The archdiocese would assume financial support for the order, provided the convent could not be sold or transferred without his office’s written permission. The Vatican approved this request, an act that would ultimately cause legal confusion over who controlled the estate’s sale.

katy-perry-Sisters-of-the-Immaculate-Hea

Unbeknownst to the sisters, the archdiocese was also using the premises at its discretion. Archbishop Mahony, later at the center of the Los Angeles-area church s-x-abuse scandal, quietly began sheltering priests accused of molestation on the grounds.

In 2007, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles reportedly reached a $660 million settlement with more than 500 alleged clergy-abuse victims and still owes hundreds of millions in damages and legal fees. Holzman believes the archdiocese wants the cash from the convent’s sale for this reason. “That’s why they want to sell to Katy Perry. They want the money for you know what,” she says, unwilling to mention the s-x-abuse scandal by name. “We won’t see a dime of it.”

“The care and well-being of all five sisters has always been our primary concern,” contends the archdiocese in a statement to Billboard. “[We] will continue to protect the sisters and ensure that future transactions will provide immediate funding for their care.”

Holzman finds this difficult to believe. “They haven’t helped us with money ever. Why would they start now?”

Hollister intends to convert the convent into a boutique hotel. Hollister had her eye on the Waverly convent for years. She heard it was on the market, emailed the property manager and proposed a deal directly to the sisters. When Archbishop Gomez broke the news about Perry, the sisters quickly accepted Hollister’s $15.5 million offer without even meeting her and turned the deed over immediately.

katy-perry-Sisters-of-the-Immaculate-Hea

The archdiocese claims in a statement, “The sisters have been taken advantage of by the Hollister transaction.” That’s the line Perry has taken as well, suing the entrepreneur for interfering with her contractual rights to the sale. In documents filed in September, the performer’s team categorized Hollister as someone who “took advantage of vulnerable, elderly nuns, who she malevolently convinced to oppose the Roman Catholic Church.”

Hollister, who says she has never spoken to Perry, thinks this has all gotten out of control. “It’s interesting she has all this girl power and she’s running over a woman and five nuns.” She continues, “We are going to Rome. We are not quitting now. We are just getting warmed up.”

Holzman, meanwhile, vows to continue the fight. “I owe it to every sister up in Heaven looking down on me.”

Rest of the article

What are these nuns made of?:air:

This feud has been going on since February:air:

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yASSsss

didn't read the article but whatever it is-

yass,drag ha 

giphy.gif

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

i want a summarized version of this cause 

giphy.gif

basically all the nuns hate katy cause she is a sin

feel the fever

Mobster

” She continues, “We are going to Rome. We are not quitting now. We are just getting warmed up.”

They bout to release a diss track

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

Serendipity

i want a summarized version of this cause 

giphy.gif

Katy wants to buy the house but they didn't want to give it to her and sold it to somebody else without Katy's consent, so Katy SUED them

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

RAMROD

Fight on, Nuns! Don't let Satan win!! :murderga:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Riot Poof

Looks like these sisters are having

nun-of-that-movie-poster-2009-1010487395

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

XGirlfriend

Katy wants to buy the house but they didn't want to give it to her and sold it to somebody else without Katy's consent, so Katy SUED them

What a mess :toofunny:

Archived