💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Female Rapper That's Capable of Having Hip-hop Hit Without Gimmicks?

Dangerous Man

Featured Posts

Dangerous Man

Who might is she? People are dismissing Iggy's hits being hip-hop since they have pop hooks and they were never solo.   Most of Nicki's hits are also considered as pop minus Anaconda,  but still the song is not enough to convince people she has the ability to release a hip-hop hit since it was powered by her controversial video and didn't really have longevity after the hype of the video was gone. Other female rapper are yet to have their hits. So who do you think among them can give us a pure/straight hip-hop hits without any kind of gimmicks? 

I'm actually talking about SOLID and UNQUESTIONABLE hits, not just top 20 hits or being top 10 in a certain country. If possible  they should be a WW hit. I know Iggy,  Nicki,  and other female rappers have decent hits  that are really considered hip-hop and had sold decently, but they aren't really at the level of popularity songs like Fancy, Super Bass,  Starships, etc. 

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

right now no one

nicki can get hits like only beez int he trap tuffle butter moment for life etc but those are not as big as fancy and super bass 

Not many rappers are getting Top 40 hits these days with pure rap. It's just is you're a guy like Kane, you can sample Daft Punk (Stronger) and collab with Katy (ET) and still have cred. And if you're Eminemyou can collab with Rihanna and have cred.

People like J Cole aren't trying for pop hits, but have a lot of rap cred. Dunno if the J Cole fanbase if open to supporting a similar female rapper in the same way.

I dont know.....i would say no one right now....most of todays rappers are using some komd of tricks to get a decent hit

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

I think female rappers are caught in the same double bind female rockers traditionally were.

1) A female who does pure rock will never be as popular with the dominant rock fan crowd as the top male rockers.

2) If they are successful by mixing rock with pop, rock guys are much quicker to deny they are "real rock"than with male acts that mix rock and pop.

PinkJelly

I think if Lil Kim tried a comeback, properly, like she did with 'The Jump Off' or 'Lighters Up' she could have a shot. But I still think she'd need gimmicks, she'd need the clothes to hide behind and some damn good producers considering what she's put out lately.

To be honest, it'd have to be a new artist. That way the only gimmick would be that they're new and fresh and everyone wants to know who they are - just how it was when 212 dropped and Azealia Banks was hot **** for nearly a full year.

Nicki is NOT pop unless you only heard her mainstream albums.

Either way, gimmicks is ok, so long not too much to the point people would synonimuze them with it, the way people did with Lady Gaga and her unusual fashion choice and antics.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

StrawberryBlond

People only say that Iggy has a gimmick because she's white. Somehow, being a white rapper is a gimmick. Which means that being white is in itself a gimmick, which I think is disgusting. Whites have always struggled to be taken seriously as rappers if they want to do anything remotely light-hearted in their work. Yet, black rappers do the same thing and they get called full-on rap. I've seen much worse rappers than Iggy and they don't get the bashing she does. I also dislike calling anyone gimmicks. You can say they have gimmicks through their work, but calling them a gimmick, in and of themselves (Gaga got this a lot and still does) is unacceptable. We shouldn't speak about our fellow human beings in such dehumanising terms.

But honestly, the only female rapper I see with gimmicks is Nicki. Everyone else is acting like a typical rap female. They only get viewed as having gimmicks because they're female, which makes them somehow...niche, lesser, not equal. Sexism has so much to answer for.

Alcina Dimitrescu

People only say that Iggy has a gimmick because she's white. Somehow, being a white rapper is a gimmick. Which means that being white is in itself a gimmick, which I think is disgusting. Whites have always struggled to be taken seriously as rappers if they want to do anything remotely light-hearted in their work. Yet, black rappers do the same thing and they get called full-on rap. I've seen much worse rappers than Iggy and they don't get the bashing she does. I also dislike calling anyone gimmicks. You can say they have gimmicks through their work, but calling them a gimmick, in and of themselves (Gaga got this a lot and still does) is unacceptable. We shouldn't speak about our fellow human beings in such dehumanising terms.

But honestly, the only female rapper I see with gimmicks is Nicki. Everyone else is acting like a typical rap female. They only get viewed as having gimmicks because they're female, which makes them somehow...niche, lesser, not equal. Sexism has so much to answer for.

actually they say it for the hooks with features like Fancy and Black Widow.

StrawberryBlond

actually they say it for the hooks with features like Fancy and Black Widow.

Yeah, because rap doesn't have hooks, right? Fancy and Black Widow are nowhere near as pop as Super Bass and Starships. Don't even get me started on 50% of Roman Reloaded being the most generic dance pop imaginable. Just felt like pop songs with elements of rap in it, not the other way around. Seriously, how is Fancy considered pop? Just because it has a popstar featuring on it? Even though she kinda raps in it too? The beat isn't pop and it's all rapped apart from the chorus, and even that's more or less talk-singing.

Alcina Dimitrescu

Yeah, because rap doesn't have hooks, right? Fancy and Black Widow are nowhere near as pop as Super Bass and Starships. Don't even get me started on 50% of Roman Reloaded being the most generic dance pop imaginable. Just felt like pop songs with elements of rap in it, not the other way around. Seriously, how is Fancy considered pop? Just because it has a popstar featuring on it? Even though she kinda raps in it too? The beat isn't pop and it's all rapped apart from the chorus, and even that's more or less talk-singing.

the op is saying those dont count either.

StrawberryBlond

the op is saying those dont count either.

I was talking in general by this point. Some people will tell you that Nicki is completely rap and Iggy is not, even though Iggy has never been as pop as Nicki. It's her whiteness that forces people to be unfair. And then leads to ideas of gimmicks, which is what the OP was bringing up. My argument is that Iggy doesn't even have gimmicks but people think she does. Nicki also has that ridiculous gimmick of Roman and being possessed by him. Thank goodness she seems to have abandoned that concept. But it still wasn't considered ridiculous enough to stop people from buying her albums. If Iggy did something so absurdly bad, she wouldn't even scrape a gold certification, never mind platinum (and critical praise, to boot).

Archived