Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Popmatters: 1989 very similar to Thriller

Redstreak

Featured Posts

GloZell Green

giphy.gif

1989 is very successful, and is probably Taylor's Thriller, TF/M, BTW, and 21. But it didn't impact pop culture as much as a revolutionary album. I mean, I'm terms of sales it was out of this world but there's little cultural impact. 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FrankGutz

the delusion is just :air::air::air:

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

TimisaMonster

NOPEPOP :derpga:

Well...I tried to make peace... :later:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

TFM reminded me of Thriller tbh in terms of slayage 

but i agree that 1989 is one of the most impactful pop albums but not the most 

21 and TFM have had greater impact than 1989 

truerom4nc

1989 hasn't epic singles. Or do you think that Shake It Off, Bad Blood, Blank Space are one of the best songs on pop history? NO.

LoveandMagic

I have absolutely nothing against Taylor and applaud her for all her success, nor am I saying her music is crap or anything like that, but Thriller is such a one-of-a-kind album, something so special and magical that only the King of Pop could put it out. What I mean is, it's totally a signature M.J. album and likely his best work out of a history of great music. Everyone I know, and I mean absolutely EVERYONE, has at least one song off that album in their collection (more often than not though it's the whole album). And the album still stands so strong decades later (Taylor's "just" came out).

And can we talk about the Thriller video? Crazy iconic! Taylor hasn't had enough time for anything on 1989 to establish a legacy (yet). It's unfair to Taylor to already start such comparisons.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

NewYorkCity

If they are basing that on sales and videos... I can think of tens of albums which have been "the new thriller" in the past years.

So, let's not. 

Don't agree with this at all.

Congratulations to Taylor on having a hugely successful album but there have been many of those in the past from many different artists.

Thriller was special because it broke down racial barriers, became the best selling album of all time and still managed to have a string of massive hits worldwide. How did 1989 achieve all of this? And how has the album even gotten even a small percentage of this impact?

Archived