💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is American radio always one step behind European radio?

gagzus

Featured Posts

Yeah, I guess so! European radios might be more open for new sounds. I remember hearing Tove Lo's Out Of Mind and Habits before the successful Habits remix. I also thought Desire was the ''break through'' hit from Years & Years, but King became so much popular. Finnish radio also played Venus, DWUW and G.U.Y. even if they weren't ''hits'', they care about the music not the bling :sis: But to be honest, there are also some music that America likes and Europe doesn't care/know about. 

like a lot of country songs and songs from bands

AbuHassan1992

this, but hip-hop was kinda shot lived here i think, Eminem was about it (which a lot of het white boys cling to claiming he's a genius and poet practically) Nicki doesn't count either since her biggest hits here are her pop ones and TPP's hits here like Anaconda & TNISY are practically pop as well.

yes because those artists are the only popular hip hop artists in europe. and it's not like every country there listens to the same music

yes because those artists are the only popular hip hop artists in europe. and it's not like every country there listens to the same music

exactly, and in america their biggest hits in the past few years have come from european trends (mainly british) like King, Rather Be, Cheerleader, White Noise, F For You and more

Riot Poof

I've noticed this as well. I guess American tastes are just more conservative.

Maybe that's why Kylie Minogue was never accepted here (aside from two songs). :cryga:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

TiphEret

Especially in the UK, they really are on top when it comes to the new sound to listen to! Well Europe is made of different country so maybe we have more different tastes to share I don't know but the UK is leading when it comes to pop and such

Sur le sable sur la neige, Sur les images dorées,Sur le front de mes amis, J’écris ton nom

Especially in the UK, they really are on top when it comes to the new sound to listen to! Well Europe is made of different country so maybe we have more different tastes to share I don't know but the UK is leading when it comes to pop and such

I agree with this lately, Adele, Sam and Years & Years are becoming big in the U.S. more and more.

They also forget the song billboard called one of the defining songs on this decade so far (and it's respective music video) [We Found Love] was written and produced by Calvin Harris a Scottish DJ

InsideOutright

Often, yes. I still remember how radio here in America was playing Ellie Goulding's Burn nonstop well after that song was popular overseas. 

StrawberryBlond

It's funny because Europeans have always been told that America is ahead of the game in every aspect. But these days, when it comes to entertainment, not so. Films used to be released in the US a month or two before the rest of the world but now they're released a week apart or thereabouts. And music is definitely all over the place, with America usually not picking up on overseas music until well after the song was a hit across the globe. The songs seem to reach and catch on in Oceania faster than they catch on in America, even though America's closer. But the size of America (some states have as big a population as some small countries, so it's really like 50 countries contributing) means that songs will stay at #1 longer as radios continue to add and support new songs, so it means a lot of songs can get overlooked while they're slaying overseas but they'll just have to wait until America's over their current #1 fixation.

Americans really look after their own when it comes to music but everyone outside of them has to make a massive effort and be mega talented if they want to stand a chance of getting their attention. Anerica has lots of untalented singers but for some reason, they rarely accept untalented singers from abroad. That's why many basic British acts don't even try to make it - they know they'll flop. Even some of our biggest artists like Oasis, Take That and Robbie Williams couldn't make it over there. These days, overseas acts might get one American hit but without a great push, they'll only ever be a one hit wonder.

Mostly, yes, I think so, You see it mostly in trends though like the ones you named. Most of the big superstars still come from America, though.

There are some songs that become popular here in Europe after America though like Shut Up and Dance and Trap Queen, both of those were popular in America before Europe, or the UK at least 

Archived