💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Wigs that need to come back

NewUsername

Featured Posts

Bad Bromance

inb4 people say no because cultural appropriation :rip: 

I don't care one bit what people think or have to say about her.  I love that wig and that's that.  It's my favorite wig from the ARTPOP era, tbh.   :giveup:

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad Bromance

Yes :giveup: and, even though it's an unpopular opinion, the SXSW Festival, wig and all, slaaaaayed me.

I need ARTPOP back tbh :cry: 

OMG, yes!!!  The SXSW wig was also one of her coolest and most awesome wig from the ARTPOP era!!    :gaga:

Bad Bromance

my fellow ARTPOPists, i love you all. let's pray: dance, s-x, ART, POP. :pray: 

You forgot about me!!!  I'm one of your fellow ARTPOPist, too.  That's probably my favorite album of Gaga's.  That's saying a lot because I love Born This Way to death.

kiwifromvenus

i don't understand why white people can't have dreads, perhaps they're appreciating the history of it? after all, it's only a hair style lmao. you don't see people complaining when black women have straight hair weaves do you.

Thank you. :)  I'm sick of the whole "race appropriation" blah blah We talk about not having labels and racism etc So the best way to do that is to break those barriers down where anyone and everyone can creatively use any style they want. Just because they explore a style or something that is popular or historical within that race doesn't mean they are disrespecting it - we should assume it is an ode to it or a celebration of it because it has touched their life somehow, unless it is blatantly obvious otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty tbh.

i don't understand why white people can't have dreads, perhaps they're appreciating the history of it? after all, it's only a hair style lmao. you don't see people complaining when black women have straight hair weaves do you.

It's much more complicated than :why isn't it appropriation when Black women wear straight/blonde weaves". This is my opinion- I'm not saying I'm right, just from my perspective as a person of Color:

-

While I do think white people appropriate "dreadlocks" specifically, I know that white people also wear different types of matted hair with respect to its respective culture. Hell, depending on how you view it, white people can wear dreadlocks in a respectful manner, and appropriate it in a disrespectful manner, all at the same time. It depends on how you view it, taking in different historical and societal factors, such as the original of the term "dreadlock", the general collective issue of cultural appropriation, and what is not cultural appropriation.

--------------------------------------------

my opinion on the "then why isn't it appropriation when Black women adopt 'white' hairstyles"

I think you have to look at it through a more structural context. From my own experiences, a lot of what is seen as respectable and "classy" in the professional western world is very anglo- and euro-centric. It's an unfortunate truth that kinky hair, AAVE, or anything remotely "street"/"hood" is seen as uneducated or unprofessional, no matte the individual's level of education or creed.

A lot of it is has to do with, I assume, cultural assimilation (based on experiences from my own family). Speaking fluently and elegantly, having to fit a certain standard of "westerness", and such- which include having straight, "managed" hair.

On the flip side, it's almost never seen as some sort of statistical or logistical anomaly/of import that white people (young adult boy demographic, specifically) are the common consumer of hip-hop, and are the general perpetuation of stereotyped hip-hop culture.

Think of it that they can adopt certain aspects of other cultures without being called out, whereas other cultures are assumed/encouraged to adopt "westerness"/whiteness. imo it boils down to the idea that general white ethnicities and culture is seen as a sort of "default".

3 points in and ready for more

Thank you. :)  I'm sick of the whole "race appropriation" blah blah We talk about not having labels and racism etc So the best way to do that is to break those barriers down where anyone and everyone can creatively use any style they want. Just because they explore a style or something that is popular or historical within that race doesn't mean they are disrespecting it - we should assume it is an ode to it or a celebration of it because it has touched their life somehow, unless it is blatantly obvious otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty tbh.

The problem isn't whether or not they're wearing it in a respectful manner. In fact, I'm sure most of what is seen as "appropriated" is done in a manner of appreciation and adoration of the culture they are choosing to wear.

The bigger issue is much more societal- that a lot of white people feel it is okay to pick and choose what they want to wear, whether aesthetically or spiritually- and the culture they are wearing still not getting the respect that the white "default" gets, particularly in the western and western-colonized world.

It's a touchy subject, and honestly a lot of people have this weird mentality on a lot of issues as appropriate once??? - trash forever!!! or that every single thing is cultural appropriation, because it isn't.

On the flip side, because of such linear thinking on both ends of the argument, it's all of a sudden SJW's are so full of it! the world should just be on equal race :)).

The truth is, is that the argument is a lot less linear than any of that, and must be thought of more critically. If a white person eats a taco, is that cultural appropriation? No- people who think that need to get their head right out of their asses.

But it's not like that's the be-all-end-all of the argument. Cultural appropriation is a real thing, racism is still a thing, and the effects of western militaristic colonization is still widely felt in most of the world.

tldr; It's not the fact that a white person wearing dreads in a respectful and commendable manner is a problem, rather a larger, much more insidious eurocentric systemic issue that still plagues most of the world today.

In an ideal world, yes cultures and the aesthetics of said cultures could be shared in a fair and equal manner. Problem is we are not in an ideal world.

3 points in and ready for more

kiwifromvenus

The problem isn't whether or not they're wearing it in a respectful manner. In fact, I'm sure most of what is seen as "appropriated" is done in a manner of appreciation and adoration of the culture they are choosing to wear.

The bigger issue is much more societal- that a lot of white people feel it is okay to pick and choose what they want to wear, whether aesthetically or spiritually- and the culture they are wearing still not getting the respect that the white "default" gets, particularly in the western and western-colonized world.

It's a touchy subject, and honestly a lot of people have this weird mentality on a lot of issues as appropriate once??? - trash forever!!! or that every single thing is cultural appropriation, because it isn't.

On the flip side, because of such linear thinking on both ends of the argument, it's all of a sudden SJW's are so full of it! the world should just be on equal race :)).

The truth is, is that the argument is a lot less linear than any of that, and must be thought of more critically. If a white person eats a taco, is that cultural appropriation? No- people who think that need to get their head right out of their asses.

But it's not like that's the be-all-end-all of the argument. Cultural appropriation is a real thing, racism is still a thing, and the effects of western militaristic colonization is still widely felt in most of the world.

tldr; It's not the fact that a white person wearing dreads in a respectful and commendable manner is a problem, rather a larger, much more insidious eurocentric systemic issue that still plagues most of the world today.

In an ideal world, yes cultures and the aesthetics of said cultures could be shared in a fair and equal manner. Problem is we are not in an ideal world.

I know I know, I've done extensive research on this and then even bringing the Whiteness theory into it, It all becomes complex, because to have "white" etc we need to then label "white" as being a race. The amount of texts I have deconstructed to look into this, its such an interesting topic.

Call it living on Venus though, I do live in a hopeful world where we are all one race; HUMAN.

But I get your point and Im not arguing against it :)

I would go in depth with what I was saying but at work hehe so have to fly :D

Archived