Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Artists Who Don't Write Their Stuff Are Not Really Artists

Angel Down

Featured Posts

Angel Down

Well, I was thinking about all the artists who don't even write their songs, and what I have concluded is that when a singer sings only stuff written by others, automatically forfeits the right to be called "an artist". You are an artist when you convey and express your outlook on life, love e.t.c through your art. Through what you create. People nowadays don't credit songwriters enough. They don't acknowledge how much inspiration, effort and passion writing a song demands. They think lyrics come out of anything easily... That's not true whatsoever. Being a songwriter myself, I know the struggles you sometimes have to face, or the absolute concentration you need to possess.

What I'm trying to get across, is that the singer who sings a song written by others, is just practically the vessel to the original songwriter. His/her voice is nothing but a tube through which the original songwriter's art is transmitted. Consequently there's no art when it comes to the vessel itself, no creativity, no passion. It's the songwriter who has to be identified as "the artist" of the song. And that's why I don't have a lot of respect for singers who don't write their stuff. That's why I snub them. 

I'd appreciate it if you didn't start with the drama and mention sh*t like "Oh but there were so many legendary singers who didn't write their stuff" I'm clearly referring to the art of singing, and just because they were legendary doesn't mean they were artistic. You can't be artistic by singing something and only as art is personal expression.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatica

I mean this is pretty ignorant to the fact that singing is an art form, a communication between a singer and an audience. I think you're looking at a singer as more of a vessel instead of an interpreter. It looks easy, but it's really not. You're not giving singers, who are artists in their own right, any credit.

Artist definition : a person skilled at a particular task or occupation. 

& It doesn't have to be songwriting, it could be singing, dancing or performing.

Conclusion : yes they are artists.

so singing is not art? 

Yes, but you can't be  considered  fully an artist

Angel Down

so singing is not art? 

The voice is the vessel of your thoughts, beliefs and stuff. When you use your voice to share something which was never resulted by your mind then no. I'm talking about artistry.

singing is a talent and saying it doesnt matter IF  you dont have writing talent as well is ignorant 

Fiona Apple

Singing is art.. But I don't like artists who dont write their songs.. I like artists with vision and creativity..Not just natural vocal talent 

Yes, but you can't be  considered  fully an artist

theres no such thing as "fully and artist"

singing is art someone who can sing is an artist 

Barbados

so singing is not art? 

How is singing art though? Singing is a talent

You don't 'create' singing, art is a creation

So does that make Cover singers on Youtube Artists or Singers?

youtube.com/watch?v=BR5ZKUKVSEI delete the <wbr> bit

Bloody

Of course I will appreciate the singers if they write their own material, but if they don't that won't make me stop from bopping to their songs.

It all comes down to enjoying the music at the end of the day.

IfsDe2W.gif

The voice is the vessel of your thoughts, beliefs and stuff. When you use your voice to share something which was never resulted by your mind then no. I'm talking about artistry.

so i can say that someone who writes and cant sing is not an artist 

which is BS 

darkchylde

I didn't read your boring a*s post but girl, you should stop being so pretentious. 

Angel Down

Singing is art.. But I don't like artists who dont write their songs.. I like artists with vision and creativity..Not just natural vocal talent 

Yea singing is art, but when you don't express what you think via your voice, that's not YOUR art. 

Archived