💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Artists Who Don't Write Their Stuff Are Not Really Artists

Angel Down

Featured Posts

Singing is a talent you naturally possess. You don't create singing, but you create your songs.

Songwriting is just as much of a talent you naturally possess though.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel Down

no no no. People can learn to become great singers. 

it's what you'll express through what you write, that is art. Having great singing abilities by itself isn't art.

Monster2015

I agree with you as someone who writes my own songs I understand what you're saying but singers are artists because their voice is the art. I get what you mean how "they're singing lyrics that aren't coming from themselves" but if you don't have the voice to convey, the lyrics don't necessarily matter. People study singing as an art, people study songwriting as an art. It is both pretty equally important in a song (along with instrumental) 

Angel Down

Songwriting is just as much of a talent you naturally posses though.

Through which you can express what you think, believe or aspire. You create with it. Voice is the vessel to it. 

AbuHassan1992

it's what you'll express through what you write, that is art. Having great singing abilities by itself isn't art.

you've got it twisted. When you record someone singing a song, that is a work of art. It's not just "singing a song". You have to convey emotion, and that's not easy. A record is an idea, a story or a feeling expressed through music that is captured. And that is art. It's like photography. 

Through which you can express what you think, believe or aspire. You create with it. Voice is the vessel to it. 

In other words a form of expression, just like singing is.

That's why cover artists are called that and not cover singers.

SweetEscape

Well even if they don't write their songs, they choose songs that in a way express them and feel even a  little bit personal to include in their albums. It's not that they just randomly record songs.

But I definitely have more respect for artists like Gaga who are very involved in the whole proccess.

AbuHassan1992

have you ever listened to someone covering a song, and giving it a totally new feel and maybe even meaning? 

Two songs performed in two different ways are two different pieces of art, as opposed to being two vessels for one piece of art, which according to you would be the song itself.

Angel Down

I agree with you as someone who writes my own songs I understand what you're saying but singers are artists because their voice is the art. I get what you mean how "they're singing lyrics that aren't coming from themselves" but if you don't have the voice to convey, the lyrics don't necessarily matter. People study singing as an art, people study songwriting as an art. It is both pretty equally important in a song (along with instrumental) 

But isn't the voice the vessel to the song you have created? The same way canvas is the vessel to the visions of the painters. 

Alien Tulip

you've got it twisted. When you record someone singing a song, that is a work of art. It's not just "singing a song". You have to convey emotion, and that's not easy. A record is an idea, a story or a feeling expressed through music that is captured. And that is art. It's like photography. 

This. In fact didnt gaga say that art isn't just a creation? It's a moment of feeling a connection. Dolly Parton wrote "I Will ALways Love You" for whitney houston and whitney applied her emotions to that song and PERFORMED it for millions of people across the world and that is art. Gaga herself even called whitney an artist :rip: 

AbuHassan1992

But isn't the voice the vessel to the song you have created? The same way canvas is the vessel to the visions of the painters. 

the canvas would be the vocal chords if you wanna go there. 

Angel Down

This. In fact didnt gaga say that art isn't just a creation? It's a moment of feeling a connection. Dolly Parton wrote "I Will ALways Love You" for whitney houston and whitney applied her emotions to that song and PERFORMED it for millions of people across the world and that is art. Gaga herself even called whitney an artist :rip: 

So am I forced to believe what Gaga always believes? :saladga:

Angel Down

sure..

so aretha franklin isn't an artist?

dusty springfield wasn't an artist?

whatever

Huge singers :awkney:

Alien Tulip

So am I forced to believe what Gaga always believes? :saladga:

Not saying she's the empress art professor but I know she would respectfully disagree with your interpretation of art and belittling people for not writing songs. Singing is an art, dancing is an art, drawing is an art, writing is an art, etc. 

Archived