đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Like a Prayer : The Definitive Era of Pop?

Jjang

Featured Posts

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Versace

While this may be true more or less could be said about

Like A Virgin and True Blue 

in terms of tours in my humble opinion the MDNA tour topped TBA Tour 

You didn't address any of the points made in the OP. 

Yes I did. My point is that MJ had choreographed performances, boundary pushing videos, and tours that consisted and fashion before Madonna starting with albums like Off The Wall, and following this with Thriller. Madonna was just a less talented more s-xualized MJ. So I would say Thriller is the most definite pop era.

This is kind of off topic, but does Ghost Town sound like Like a Prayer to anyone else?

A video similar to Like A Prayer. Actually Ghost Town playing over the Like A Prayer on silent goes so great together :omg: 

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Tropico

Yeah, pretty much. The music is horrid imo but the era itself is pop culture defining, having one of the most legendary tours of all time. 

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

"Like a Prayer was the first pop album to evoke what female artists explore today: s-xuality, religion, gender equality and independence. (look ; Born This Way by Lady Gaga) 

Sexuality - many pop artists explored it before Madonna

Gender Equality and Independence - listen to Carly Simon or Pat Benatar 

Religion - Madonna's fascination here is distinctive, but it's not like pop ever became full of heretical Catholic girls messing with s-x/religion themes

The real main theme of LAP was coming to terms with her parents and childhood, which certainly has been done before.

Album really only had 2 major singles.- LAP and EY. Much of what's impressive about the 89-90 Madonna peak comes from Vogue and Justofy My Love, which weren't on LAP. LAP sold less than two previous Madonna albums.

i never listened to Like A Prayer tbh just the singles

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Yes I did. My point is that MJ had choreographed performances, boundary pushing videos, and tours that consisted and fashion before Madonna starting with albums like Off The Wall, and following this with Thriller. Madonna was just a less talented more s-xualized MJ. So I would say Thriller is the most definite pop era.

Oh my god. You clearly haven't watched neither MJ/Madonna tours. :dies: You're aware that I'm a die hard MJ fan as well, correct? for once, pay attention to what is written : 

full-scale productions with costume changes, special effects, elaborate sets and a sense of drama that takes the experience beyond someone just singing into a microphone. "change the shape of concerts. Instead of just presenting songs, combine fashion, Broadway, rock and performance art, as well as The fact that Madonna divided her performances into five thematic categories." 

That pattern was not broadcasted by any MJ tour.

Both Madonna and MJ began experimenting with music videos and pushing boundaries (each in his/her respectful department) in 1983.

And in terms of deliberate provocation, controversies, s-xual imagery and multilayers Madonna is the main artist to credit.

"Madonna was just a less talented more s-xualized MJ" - I'm glad you made this comment. Proves how much you actually don't know about your favorite genre's history.

"Like a Prayer was the first pop album to evoke what female artists explore today: s-xuality, religion, gender equality and independence. (look ; Born This Way by Lady Gaga) 

Sexuality - many pop artists explored it before Madonna

Gender Equality and Independence - listen to Carly Simon or Pat Benatar 

Religion - Madonna's fascination here is distinctive, but it's not like pop ever became full of heretical Catholic girls messing with s-x/religion themes

The real main theme of LAP was coming to terms with her parents and childhood, which certainly has been done before.

Album really only had 2 major singles.- LAP and EY. Much of what's impressive about the 89-90 Madonna peak comes from Vogue and Justofy My Love, which weren't on LAP. LAP sold less than two previous Madonna albums.

It's always a source of confusion, I wanted to refer to it as the 1989 - 1991 Madonna era (including Vogue and Justify My Love) but obviously people wouldn't have agreed. I view it that way regardless, because Vogue was performed in the Blond Ambition Tour and was originally a B side for that era as well as Truth or Dare was dragged until 1991 and that was part of the LAP era. Cherish was also a well known single, peaking at #2 on the Billboard Charts. Parents and childhood is an ongoing theme in LAP, It's an autobiographical album. That aside, there are still songs such as Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Spanish Eyes and Act of Contrition that disprove your claim of it being the main subject / theme of the album.

Riot Poof

Great post tbh. :applause:

Jjang, are you a lowkey Madonna historian?

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived