question

Your favorite tracks on confessions on the dance floor

Yanko

Featured Posts

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DrewStevens

It went hand to hand with her persona :smh: It's an album that explored her spirituality at a time when she discovered Kabbalah and was practicing it on a daily basis. She wasn't pulling any BS on nobody.

There's a difference between a well constructed, substantial opinion and a one liner of an opinion. You're free to not care about critics, but that does not mean that they're completely meaningless. Yes, not all critics are musicians but most are respectfully knowledgeable when it comes to music and have listened to a variety of albums from an objective point of view. Just like movie critics are not film makers yet their criticism carries an important value to the movie industry. It's not a coincidence that the most critically acclaimed albums of all time which critics have indicated are respected among the most talented musicians all around the world as well.

I still don't think it is that good. I don't need to explain why I think it's pretentious, anyone can ask why if they want to know the reason. I think it is pretentious because IN MY OPINION the message of the album was very disconnected from her persona and history prior the album.

Critics are human beings like you and me and most of them are journalists who have no more knowledge about music than the average person. Most critics who work for big publications are not "respectfully knowledgeable when it comes to music", they are common people who write articles about celebrities nipple slips and then are asked to write a review. I don't think their opinion is meaningless, I just don't see why should I care what other people who are no different than me think about a certain album.

DrewStevens

would you critic an album if you werent an album yourself teas :derpga: 

No, check your privilege. Only albums can share an opinion about THEIR own issues.

I still don't think it is that good. I don't need to explain why I think it's pretentious, anyone can ask why if they want to know the reason. I think it is pretentious because IN MY OPINION the message of the album was very disconnected from her persona and history prior the album.

Critics are human beings like you and me and most of them are journalists who have no more knowledge about music than the average person. Most critics who work for big publications are not "respectfully knowledgeable when it comes to music", they are common people who write articles about celebrities nipple slips and then are asked to write a review. I don't think their opinion is meaningless, I just don't see why should I care what other people who are no different than me think about a certain album.

the message of the album was very disconnected from her persona and history prior the album.

That is literally a relevant topic that is explored in the album itself :smh: obviously you haven't given it a fair listen / search if that's your critique. Self discovery is a theme that is indicated on every track. I really suggest you reconsider what you're saying man.

Regardless, that argument is pointless considering the fact that Ray of Light's acclaim came from music historians,  academic writers, figures of authority in the music industry and established musicians. :rip: I respect your opinion by the way, I'm just not very keen on your reasoning.

DrewStevens

the message of the album was very disconnected from her persona and history prior the album.

That is literally a relevant topic that is explored in the album itself :smh: obviously you haven't given it a fair listen / search if that's your critique. Self discovery is a theme that is indicated on every track. I really suggest you reconsider what you're saying man.

Regardless, that argument is pointless considering the fact that Ray of Light's acclaim came from music historians,  academic writers, figures of authority in the music industry and established musicians. :rip: I respect your opinion by the way, I'm just not very keen on your reasoning.

Well you obviously don't respect my opinion if you can't take it as it is. I listened to the album  enough times to know if I like it or not and to know why I think it is pretentious. I agree with most critics about her being adventurous but I don't really appreciate it. You believe in the message of the album, I don't.

Most critics liked it and a few didn't. You don't have to create an opinion of an album based on someone else's opinion about it, everyone has to have their own criteria. I think American Life is a good album and most critics disliked it. 

jojuun

I love the entire album. It's my baby, I can't choose. 

Maybe Hung Up because of it's mega crowd-pleasing qualities.

Anderson123

Hung Up, Future Lovers, Isaac and How High. It's a good album, but some of the younger fans see it as her masterpiece, which is not. Madonna has at least 5 albums that are better than Confessions. Love it, though.

Archived