💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Taylor Swift doesn't feel Iconic like Gaga

Quark

Featured Posts

KyliesChild

No lies detected.

I don't see Taylor sharing a stage (not pictures) or collaborating with Queen, U2, Tony Bennett, Bruce Sprinting Cher, Sting, Sir Elton John.  Receiving praises from Yoko Ono, Julie Andrews , Barbra Streisand, Debbie Harry, Brian May. Liza Minnelli, to  Legendary Rock Bands like Alice Cooper, Judas Priest and Kiss...etc

I don't see Madonna dedicating a song to Taylor and singing her song in 80 concerts and desperately trying to get her attention :miley:

I only see delusional haters trying to put down Gaga's achievements and denying her impact. :lolly: without success.

@Jjang  @Didymus

I find it weird that you tagged them, to be honest. And Taylor Swift has made impact, but it is not as apparent as Gaga. They are both icons in their own hugely different way. I just also hate how members can bring down Taylor (as what you stated when members pointed flaws in your “Gaga is an icon and no one can beat her!!!1!" motto.) Plus you give too much credit to Gaga and how she has changed the music industry because many people has done what she has done and you should accept that. Artists had to pave their way first so that Gaga can come through.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LoveandMagic

I think it depends on what you mean by the word "iconic" since everyone has a different take on what it means to be an "icon."

I myself have a hard time defining that word. To me Gaga has it already, but I'm not big enough on Taylor to guess to her impact or longevity in the eyes of her audience (I don't pay much attention to the media around her, her shows, or videos). Maybe she has it, maybe she is on her way, I wouldn't know. 

At the end of the day, the only thing I think about when I look at an artist is what did s/he hope to accomplish in his/her work, what is s/he trying to bring the world? With Taylor, I see an increasingly popular singer/songwriter whose hallmark is in the relate-able. She crafts songs meant to appeal to the happy, if more sensitive young listener. She has marketed herself on a more stripped (but girly) imagery. She doesn't use s-x appeal, she presents herself in a pleasant, uncontroversial package. Some will call this "basic", others will argue that she is free from "gimmickry" and can focus more on her music. I can't say if either are right because I don't pay enough attention to her to know. I think though that right now Taylor is in complete control of her career. She is putting out the exact type of music she wants and has a definite plan for the future. I think she is highly meticulous and we are unlikely to see any major hiccups in the near future that could derail her career (like a scandalous quickie marriage, pregnancy or something). I think that's really rare of a pop star. Really, really rare.

It may just be too soon to tell. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

nativenewyorker

She's not iconic because she doesn't take any risks. When you have a career that plays it as safe as hers does, you never really create anything innovative or exciting. She doesn't shock, she doesn't surprise, she doesn't do anything but put on a standard pop show. 

Madonna was iconic because of her provocation and reinvention. Michael Jackson was iconic because of his talent and showmanship. Britney was iconic because of her fresh, s-xy, trendy image that made every man want her and every girl want to be her. Gaga was iconic because of her innovation and talent that allowed her to have actual influence on her work. She was the first DIY pop star, in a sense.

Taylor, however, is the standard safe pop star that appeals to kids and teens because she has such a good-girl reputation. Parents aren't worried if their kid listens to Taylor Swift because she never does anything polarizing enough to be controversial. You need some kind of game-changing moment to be iconic and Taylor hasn't delivered that. I guess that's her goal though, give no one a reason to hate you and they won't. She keeps the GP satisfied... but that doesn't mean she's gonna leave us gagging with our weaves on the floor. 

Archived