💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Are The VMAs Slipping?

Harry

Featured Posts

Harry

With the first revealed crop of performers for this year's ceremony being instantly ridiculed across social media and forums, I got to thinking about the decline of the MTV Video Music Awards.

---

Headlines/Ratings

For decades, the VMAs have widely been considered one of the biggest nights in popular music, second only to maybe the Grammys. The show has been the catalyst for so many iconic and infamous moments: Kanye's stage invasion, Madonna kissing Britney & Christina, Gaga's Paparazzi performance, etc. The 2012 and 2014 ceremonies produced no major headlines, with 2013 only standing out for Miley's performance. The ratings have been slipping too, with 2014's show bringing in 8.3m viewers, in comparison to 10.1m viewers in 2013.

Meanwhile, the AMAs were watched by 11.6m viewers in 2014, and 12.9m viewers in 2013. A drop also, but still more viewers than the VMAs in both years. Even the latest Billboard Music Awards ceremony was watched by more people than the last VMAs with 11.1m, and 10.5m the year before that.

Performers

So far, the only superstars expected for this year are Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber. Kanye may or may not be performing too. Not great for a show that just 4 years ago boasted Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Adele, Jay Z, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Lil Wayne and others.

The last AMAs had Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, One Direction, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, 5 Seconds of Summer, Iggy Azalea, Fergie, Mary J Blige etc... Not all artists that are necessarily megastars, but there's undoubtedly more draw there than a show that is scraping Tori Kelly and Twenty One Pilots to perform on their main stage. Once again, the often overlooked BBMAs did better with their line-up this year - Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Van Halen, Ed Sheeran, Kelly Clarkson, Kanye West, Imagine Dragons... Even the virtually irrelevant iHeartRadio Music Awards got Rihanna and Madonna, among others.

---

So, what happened? Is it that the summer release schedule isn't traditionally as thriving as the fall schedule, hence the low number of A-list stars available in August? And if so, why hasn't that been an issue for the other 30 years that the VMAs have existed?

Do you think the VMAs are falling behind other award shows that they have always been considered superior to, and what could save them this year?

Americano

From ATRL:

VMAs
Nicki Minaj
Justin Bieber
Demi Lovato
The Wekend
Tori Kelly
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Pharrell Williams
ASAP Rocky & twenty one pilots

iHeartRadio Music Awards
Madonna & Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Meghan Trainor
Kelly Clarkson
Sam Smith
Nick Jonas
Jason Derulo
Iggy Azalea & Jennifer Hudson
Jason Aldean
Florida Georgia Line
Jamie Foxx & Chris Brown

Sums it up.. Not insulting any artist, but a lot of big names missing. iHeartRadio Music Awards are brand new and pulled way more big-selling acts. Not a single major pop female act (some of the highest selling acts) is performing at the VMA's. It's just an interesting year for them.

Mister Gaga

It looks like decaying is the thing now :hunty: 

But yes, i agree. This year it's gonna be boring as ****

Barbados

The only one worth watching is Nicki, the rest are trash :smh:

youtube.com/watch?v=BR5ZKUKVSEI delete the <wbr> bit

Katsuki Bakugo

It looks like decaying is the thing now :hunty: 

But yes, i agree. This year it's gonna be boring as ****

DEATH of the blonde superstar virus has successful infected the pop music industry!!!

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

RebeldeFaith

What if Becky G was invited to the show? Can this be her curse? :udidnt:

Or is this just VMA's ARTPOP era?:wtf:

Something something idk

Ladey Gagz

Yes, but it'd understandable since no pop girl are in an era at the moment except for Taylor, who will be at the VMA's 

Harry

From ATRL:

VMAs
Nicki Minaj
Justin Bieber
Demi Lovato
The Wekend
Tori Kelly
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Pharrell Williams
ASAP Rocky & twenty one pilots

iHeartRadio Music Awards
Madonna & Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Meghan Trainor
Kelly Clarkson
Sam Smith
Nick Jonas
Jason Derulo
Iggy Azalea & Jennifer Hudson
Jason Aldean
Florida Georgia Line
Jamie Foxx & Chris Brown

Sums it up.. Not insulting any artist, but a lot of big names missing. iHeartRadio Music Awards are brand new and pulled way more big-selling acts. Not a single major pop female act (some of the highest selling acts) is performing at the VMA's. It's just an interesting year for them.

Those lists illustrate my points perfectly. Along with the most recent AMAs and BBMAs too...

AMAs
Taylor Swift
5 Seconds of Summer
Imagine Dragons
Sam Smith & A$AP Rocky
Iggy Azalea
Lorde
Ariana Grande & The Weeknd
Selena Gomez
One Direction
Nicki Minaj
Fergie
Garth Brooks
Mary J Blige
Jennifer Lopez

BBMAs
Mariah Carey
Ed Sheeran
Britney Spears & Iggy Azalea
Nicki Minaj & David Guetta
Kanye West
Kelly Clarkson
Imagine Dragons
Meghan Trainor & John Legend
Fall Out Boy
Van Halen

... the VMAs come off horribly.

gagzus

They snuffed Years & Years since they have awesome performances, are the best act from this year and have flawless videos with storylines. I lost faith in them after the utter Circus that was 2013 :neyde: but that did it for me tbh.

If they don't get GRAMMY nominations for 2016 and at least a win for Best Electronic/Dance Album for Communion I'll scream.

Koreku

They need to stop being so uptight with their roster of performers. There are so many interesting artists outside of the Top 20 charts with dedicated fanbases that'll be willing to watch the show. 

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

Harry

Yes, but it'd understandable since no pop girl are in an era at the moment except for Taylor, who will be at the VMA's 

You're right. But they couldn't even get her to perform. I'm still sure they could've done better than some of those acts. What about Drake, Ed Sheeran, One Direction?

Despite there being few major acts active right now, they've been trailing off for a few years. This line-up isn't exactly going to spark a major rejuvenation, so are they just digging a deeper hole here?

Miley could either save or kill the 2015 VMAs.

Ladey Gagz

You're right. But they couldn't even get her to perform. I'm still sure they could've done better than some of those acts. What about Drake, Ed Sheeran, One Direction?

Despite there being few major acts active right now, they've been trailing off for a few years. This line-up isn't exactly going to spark a major rejuvenation, so are they just digging a deeper hole here?

Miley could either save or kill the 2015 VMAs.

I agree :emma: Although I see why it's not a great list, they definitely could have done better

Americano

I do think next year will be a mega year for the VMA's.

Almost a 100% bet is Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, and I wouldn't be surprised if Adele were also thrown into that mix. A lot of major acts are just in hiding currently

Archived