šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Billboard trashes Cry Baby

Fiona Apple

Featured Posts

Prometheus

I agree tbh. Despite it being cohesive it all sort of falls flat. It never reaches a peak. This makes it to where the album has no stand out tracks, I was really looking forward to this too.

Why have one stand out track when the whole thing stands out? I've never understood the concept of people thinking all of the songs are on the same level. I think all the songs are amazing. I can literally listen to the whole thing and not skip a track. Why have a few peaks when you can have the whole thing be a peak? This kind of ideology just doesn't make sense to me.

I like Melanie and some of the songs, but I just get so bored with that whole 'baby' theme. Like, I feel that all the songs are very similar to each other.

I mean the depth is there if you look a little.

"Tag, You're It" is about s-xual assault.
"Mrs. Potato Head" is about self image issues.
"Soap" is about being too forward with someone you like.
"Carousel" is about being in a bad love cycle with someone.
"Syrup" is about depression and poorly coping.

Sure, she uses childish motifs, but it's incredibly smart most of the time. It's not just laid out there for all to see. You have to scratch the surface and actually dive deep down with some of them.

Ā 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why have one stand out track when the whole thing stands out? I've never understood the concept of people thinking all of the songs are on the same level. I think all the songs are amazing. I can literally listen to the whole thing and not skip a track. Why have a few peaks when you can have the whole thing be a peak? This kind of ideology just doesn't make sense to me.

"Mrs. Potato head" is about self image issues.

Sure, she uses childish motifs, but it's incredibly smart most of the time. It's not just laid out there for all to see. You have to scratch the surface and actually dive deep down with some of them.

Ā 

Not to mention her incredible metaphors and the brilliance of her alliterationĀ in the versesĀ of Alphabet Boy.

I thought the baby concept was cringeworthy and awkward at first, but it's really complex. Sometimes you get that sugary sweet feel from the music, other times it progress into really morbid areas fueled by the contrast of the adult lyrics and the childish motifs; and then there are the times where it just seems totally natural. The entire album works as a seamless piece of art.

Prometheus

Not to mention her incredible metaphors and the brilliance of her alliterationĀ in the versesĀ of Alphabet Boy.

Yeah! Her writing is amazing, especially for a nineteen-year-old. I agree that it can sonically kind of blur together, but if you actually pay attention then you'll likely be astounded.Ā 

Tropico

I officially hate them. Stupid ass review

Ā The album is a Ā masterpiece.

Ā Billboard (the same site that gave 75+ to BritneyJean and 80+ to Prism) gave to Cry Baby 2/5Ā :rip:Ā I can't evenĀ :awkney:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/6671140/melanie-martinez-cry-baby-album-review

80 FOR PRISM?Ā 

75 FOR BRITNEY JEAN?Ā 

YET 2/5 for Cry Baby?!?!?!???? :wtf:Ā 

ā™¢ Social Justice Enthusiast ā™¢

Yeah! Her writing is amazing, especially for a nineteen-year-old. I agree that it can sonically kind of blur together, but if you actually pay attention then you'll likely be astounded.Ā 

I'm aboutĀ to turn 18 and I'm screaming because I want my lyrics to be that good by the time I reach her ageĀ :deadbanana:

Tropico

I like Melanie and some of the songs, but I just get so bored with that whole 'baby' theme. Like, I feel that all the songs are very similar to each other.

It's a concept album boo.

ā™¢ Social Justice Enthusiast ā™¢

Prometheus

I'm aboutĀ to turn 18 and I'm screaming because I want my lyrics to be that good by the time I reach her ageĀ :deadbanana:

I know I am a ****ing nearly 21-year-old English major and my poetry was pissed on by Cry Baby :deadbanana:Ā 

SlayedForTheGod

Ā 

Yeah but none of them stand out to me lol. But I think she accomplished what she wanted with the album so good for her.Ā 

latina twilight

What's with the shade towards Melanie I see everywhere? When it came outĀ everybody was talking about how much the album slays, and now that these superficialĀ critics are trashing the album everybody is like "yeah, they're right".

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

"Mrs. Potato Head" is about self image issues.

Ā 

queen

-

the album is great billboard can sitĀ :coffee:Ā 

ItsTommyBitch

Prometheus you better stan :applause:

This album is a cohesive masterpiece and quite a bit of it is also great pop music too. Its totally a journey, and you have to actually listen to understand that so that you dont just think "toy sounds and kiddy titles" which is what it sounds like Billboard probably did. I bet they didnt even finish the damn album or do any freaking research firstĀ :giveup:Ā 

What's with the shade towards Melanie I see everywhere? When it came outĀ everybody was talking about how much the album slays, and now that these superficialĀ critics are trashing the album everybody is like "yeah, they're right".

Some of it is coming from stan wars on ATRL and twitter bleeding over here.... and itsĀ over people like Lana and people calling Melanie a copy-cat (when shes clearly more influenced by Marina than someone like Lana anyway, but regardless her music and lyrics and voice sound NOTHING like either of them :wtf:Ā )

ē§č‡Ŗčŗ«ć‚‚恓恮äø–恮äø­ć‚‚čŖ°ć‚‚ć‹ć‚Œć‚‚ćŒ, 恩悓ćŖ恫čÆ悄恋ćŖäŗŗē”Ÿć§ć‚‚, 恩悓ćŖć«ę‚²ęƒØćŖäŗŗē”Ÿć§ć‚‚, 恄恤恋ćÆå¤‰č²Œć—, ē “å£Šć•ć‚Œć€ę¶ˆę»…ć—ć¦ć—ć¾ć†. ć™ć¹ć¦ćŒć‚‚ćØ悂ćØ恓恮äø–ć«å­˜åœØ恗ćŖ恄äø€ēž¬ć®å¹»ęƒ³ćŖ恮恠恋悉

Prometheus

1. Prometheus you better stan :applause:

2. This album is a cohesive masterpiece and quite a bit of it is also great pop music too. Its totally a journey, and you have to actually listen to understand that so that you dont just think "toy sounds and kiddy titles" which is what it sounds like Billboard probably did. I bet they didnt even finish the damn album or do any freaking research firstĀ :giveup:Ā 

3. Some of it is coming from stan wars on ATRL and twitter bleeding over here.... and itsĀ over people like Lana and people calling Melanie a copy-cat (when shes clearly more influenced by Marina than someone like Lana anyway, but regardless her music and lyrics and voice sound NOTHING like either of them :wtf:Ā )

1. Of course. As a poet I can't help but love her amazing metaphors. Her sound is original and captivating as well.

2. Exactly. She's more artistic than Katy or even Gaga, so mainstream people probably won't be a fan because it isn't composed of radio friendly bops that cater to the top genre of the time. It's deeper than that.

3. She would be closer to Marina, which is perhaps why I'm afraid to love her. I fell in love with Electra Heart, not Marina. I'm afraid that I'll fall in love with Cry Baby and not Melanie.Ā 

latina twilight

Ā 

Some of it is coming from stan wars on ATRL and twitter bleeding over here.... and itsĀ over people like Lana and people calling Melanie a copy-cat (when shes clearly more influenced by Marina than someone like Lana anyway, but regardless her music and lyrics and voice sound NOTHING like either of them :wtf:Ā )

It seems like every new alternative-pop/indie-pop actĀ is "a Lana copy-cat"Ā :saladga:.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

Archived