💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Who Made EDM Mainstream, Fam?

Cody Draco

Who Brought EDM To The Mainstream  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who Brought EDM To The Mainstream?

• Madonna
    • Britney Spears
    • Lady Gaga
    • David Guetta
    • The Black Eyed Peas
    • Other
    • Multiple Artists

Featured Posts

For this it's definately multible artists through The years. Probably The biggest problem I have about some fellow Gaga fans is this subject and The delusion of her huge impact on this matter and how she single handedly pretty much invented The genre.... Sorry, sooooo far from The truth. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAMROD

Neither of these people :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Giorno Giovanna

i think there was a huge "love" for edm in 2012 around the time Diamonds by Rihanna hit the charts

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

AgusPop

Mainstream? Gaga of course :sis:

Lady Gaga helps bring EDM to the masses

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/lady-gaga-helps-bring-edm-to-the-masses/article_6ab888b5-5ef6-5cb1-9946-b70556915a5b.html

Lady Gaga Has Made Dance Music Mainstream, DJ Tommie Sunshine Says

http://www.mtv.com/news/1634676/lady-gaga-has-made-dance-music-mainstream-dj-tommie-sunshine-says/

DJ says: Gaga have done so much for making dance music mainstream. I'm sorry, but there wouldn't be a David Guetta Top 10 hit... if it wasn't for The Fame.

I understand where you're coming from, but you contradict yourself. Saying that an act introduced a certain genre to the mainstream is not the same as claiming that they're responsible for the success of that entire soundscape, those are two completely different things, think about it.  

I think both introduction to the mainstream and responsibility for the success can't be attributed to one person, though. Usually by the time something gets popular in the mainstream there's already been a buzz about it in the underground and music industry. People with a finger to that pulse have a good chance of hopping on the trend and bringing it to life in the mainstream, and it's not just one person who will do that. 

I think both the introduction of a genre to the mainstream and the cause of its popularity can't be pinned on one single person. 

One single person might end up with the best hits, but it's usually not one person alone who brings it to the forefront or makes it a success. 

barcodemonster

Madonna and Britney started it in 2008 with the albums they released that year. Then towards the end of that year The Fame started rising up the charts as Just Dance went #1. Gaga catapulted EDM to huge highs that year with Poker Face. Just as Just Dance was going #1, Boom Boom Pow was gaining traction. Then followed the even more successful I Gotta Feeling. 4 mega EDM hits smashed that year and are still among the biggest selling songs ever. 

TD; LR

Madonna and Britney started a wave, Gaga and Black Eyed Peas swooped in and brought EDM to its peak at the time with 4 of the biggest songs ever

scan my barcode

I think both introduction to the mainstream and responsibility for the success can't be attributed to one person, though. Usually by the time something gets popular in the mainstream there's already been a buzz about it in the underground and music industry. People with a finger to that pulse have a good chance of hopping on the trend and bringing it to life in the mainstream, and it's not just one person who will do that. 

I think both the introduction of a genre to the mainstream and the cause of its popularity can't be pinned on one single person. 

One single person might end up with the best hits, but it's usually not one person alone who brings it to the forefront or makes it a success. 

Setting trends was always about borrowing from the underground. Madonna had been doing that since day 1. The thing about her is that she was (obviously no longer lmao) always 2 steps ahead of the trend, that takes both cleverness and guts to do, because for a mainstream artist it is always a risk. An easier example to mentally digest would be how she popularized Vogueing.  

Anyway, music historians and social scientists credit Madonna with bringing the genre into the mainstream. But at the end of the day both Madonna and Gaga made awesome music through that genre, I don't understand why people care so much for things like this. 

Setting trends was always about borrowing from the underground. Madonna had been doing that since day 1. The thing about her is that she was (obviously no longer lmao) always 2 steps ahead of the trend, that takes both cleverness and guts to do, because for a mainstream artist it is always a risk. An easier example to mentally digest would be how she popularized Vogueing.  

Anyway, music historians and social scientists credit Madonna with bringing the genre into the mainstream. But at the end of the day both Madonna and Gaga made awesome music through that genre, I don't understand why people care so much for things like this. 

Ah, I agree with you here. :yes:

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Madonna brought it to the mainstream decades ago where it sat comfortably for a while, then for Gaga's specific timeframe she could have been one to really ignite it again. 

Like if the underground set up the wood, Madonna lit the bonfire, then after it burned down for years Gaga came and threw another match on it, striking that match on a matchbox that someone else brought anticipating that this EDM fire was gonna kick up again. 

skaxboy

To me it was David Guetta. I remember hearing that song "Sexy B!tch" on the radio and thinking why a song like that was on the radio. I've gone to raves for a pretty long time and it was odd for me at the time to hear a song like that on pop radio. Plenty other hits followed and soon it became a trend for EDM fused pop music. 

The Fame was for me more of an electro pop/electronica album, not an EDM album. EDM to me is like house/trance/dubstep etc, so gaga was more of a pop sound. After she became a big name, others copied from her and the now popular EDM so she sort of helped it. 

Madonna did nothing for this current wave of electronic music. Yes in past decades she has done house inspired tracks like "Vogue" and had "Ray of Light", "Confessions" wasn't a full EDM record, it was an electronic music album but was more of a Lounge house sound. Then Hard Candy had not much to do with EDM. 

To me it was David Guetta. I remember hearing that song "Sexy B!tch" on the radio and thinking why a song like that was on the radio. I've gone to raves for a pretty long time and it was odd for me at the time to hear a song like that on pop radio. Plenty other hits followed and soon it became a trend for EDM fused pop music. 

The Fame was for me more of an electro pop/electronica album, not an EDM album. EDM to me is like house/trance/dubstep etc, so gaga was more of a pop sound. After she became a big name, others copied from her and the now popular EDM so she sort of helped it. 

Madonna did nothing for this current wave of electronic music. Yes in past decades she has done house inspired tracks like "Vogue" and had "Ray of Light", "Confessions" wasn't a full EDM record, it was an electronic music album but was more of a Lounge house sound. Then Hard Candy had not much to do with EDM. 

I forgot about Sexy Bitch! It was a guilty pleasure of mine. See, I think a variety of artists were bringing it to the mainstream at once, and honestly I'd give more credit to the producers- they tend to have more of a finger on the underground. 

Archived