💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Who Made EDM Mainstream, Fam?

Cody Draco

Who Brought EDM To The Mainstream  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who Brought EDM To The Mainstream?

• Madonna
    • Britney Spears
    • Lady Gaga
    • David Guetta
    • The Black Eyed Peas
    • Other
    • Multiple Artists

Featured Posts

Benji

Electronic music and Dance music has been popular since the 90s lol 

It's just lately it became more popular again so people think it's all new.

These people are missing out on so many good albums and songs, it actually pains me a tad :rip:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These people are missing out on so many good albums and songs, it actually pains me a tad :rip:

I don't think it's new, I think artists like Gaga brought it to the forefront ever since 2008 and ever since it has invaded pop music although now it's seemingly on the decline again.

:lmao:

GET THE **** OUTTA HERE WITH THAT THREAD TITLE

Unpopular Opinion, clearly: The introduction of EDM to the mainstream can not be credited to a single person. Often the growth in popularity of one thing is due to multiple reasons and multiple people, so to give all the credit to one person is faulty because success of an entire genre cannot be credited to only one person. 

I understand where you're coming from, but you contradict yourself. Saying that an act introduced a certain genre to the mainstream is not the same as claiming that they're responsible for the success of that entire soundscape, those are two completely different things, think about it.  

VforVendetta

To many artists really. The only fully EDM Gaga album is ARTPOP though.

Gaga brought back dance music in 2009 as Electropop (mixed with electronic elements)

Electropop =/= EDM though.

Electronic music is old in Pop though, you can find elements of it even back in the late 70s.

Benji

I don't think it's new, I think artists like Gaga brought it to the forefront ever since 2008 and ever since it has invaded pop music although now it's seemingly on the decline again.

Dance music was huge throughout the 90s (still is) and a lot of pop artists implemented parts of the genre into their own sound throughout the entire decade after. One of my faves done it throughout the 2000's before and after 2008; Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Dance music was huge throughout the 90s and a lot of pop artists implemented parts of the genre into their own sound throughout the entire decade after. One of my faves done it throughout the 2000's before and after Gaga; Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Sophie wasn't big enough to bring anything to the mainstream. Right before Guetta, BEP, Gaga there was a lot more hip-hop. Maybe if I said Gaga made dance music trendy again it would be more accurate?

Cody Draco

I understand where you're coming from, but you contradict yourself. Saying that an act introduced a certain genre to the mainstream is not the same as claiming that they're responsible for the success of that entire soundscape, those are two completely different things, think about it.  

Well I think when people discuss Gaga's impact, they actually mean she helped stabilize EDM in the mainstream, thus helping make it as massively mainstream as it is today. :shrug:

Not to mention the lines between dance pop and EDM are extremely blurred in a lot of people's minds.

I know I personally usually just lump the two together especially when discussing music post-Gaga.

An album like Teenage Dream is dance-pop but also tends to be classified as EDM in my mind. I know it's not David Guetta/Avicci/Calvin Harris EDM, but more like EDM-lite in my mind.

Benji

Sophie wasn't big enough to bring anything to the mainstream.

Considering she had a number of top ten hits, I disagree :rip:

Riot Poof

Madonna. Many other mainstream artists incorporated various forms of electronic dance music into their music before Gaga as well.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Whispering

A lot of late 70s and 80s music, like I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder. (the first notable fully synthesized disco hit, made using synthesizers and drum machines) 

In 1979, the pair teamed up again to make Donna Summer’s highest-selling album, Bad Girls, which used similar production techniques. This sound caught on and became a feature of many disco and dance records in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. 

In the eighties, you had songs like Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" by C+C Music Factory. 

Many of today’s most popular electronic music styles, such as house and trance, are the product of 1980s synth music. The 1980s club scene made new wave, post-disco, and synthpop well-known styles and brought electronic music into the mainstream. Bands like A-ha, Pet Shop Boys, and Depeche Mode combined the structure of rock music with the new sounds made possible by MIDI. 

Riot Poof

A lot of late 70s and 80s music, like I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder. (the first notable fully synthesized disco hit, made using synthesizers and drum machines) 

In 1979, the pair teamed up again to make Donna Summer’s highest-selling album, Bad Girls, which used similar production techniques. This sound caught on and became a feature of many disco and dance records in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. 

In the eighties, you had songs like Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" by C+C Music Factory. 

Many of today’s most popular electronic music styles, such as house and trance, are the product of 1980s synth music. The 1980s club scene made new wave, post-disco, and synthpop well-known styles and brought electronic music into the mainstream. Bands like A-ha, Pet Shop Boys, and Depeche Mode combined the structure of rock music with the new sounds made possible by MIDI. 

You know what... forget my other post. I agree with this.

What if we take it back even further and talk about Kraftwerk? :green:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived