Surprise Releasing LG5  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gaga do it?

• Yes
    • No

Featured Posts

Swan Heart

No, not really.. 

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Brooke Hoegan

not really, but I hope she doesn't hype anything more than a month in advance this time

ARTPOP one-year wait was merciless

VforVendetta

No, I want a healthy release. I don't want overhype, I don't want surprise releases, I don't want overexposure and most of all I don't want lack of programming.

I'd love it if one day I'd wake up and BAM there would be a whole new Lady Gaga album available.

Commercially speaking, I'm torn whether she's in a position to do that and succeed. Her fans would buy it, obviously, but then what? 

She needs to back to basics imo. Release one single promote it. Release second single promote it. Release album promote it. It needs to be clean rather than the cluster **** of releasing songs that aren't singles that turn into singles but were meant to be promotional singles so we don't understand what the single is and we get half the album in promotional singles before the actual single is released.

StrawberryBlond

I've noticed that it's just the urban surprise releases that are successful and that's because urban fans are very loyal. Also, it was only the biggest names who did well. It didn't work out for artists who were still establishing themselves. Jay Z, Beyonce and Drake are also very conventional artists and that makes selling albums a lot easier. Gaga is more experimental, thus, her albums really have to be pushed with public-pleasing singles to have a chance of doing well. Gaga's going to need hit singles if she wants to make a successful comeback and she's not going to do that with a surprise release. When an album is released with no singles, it means that the majority buy it early, meaning singles after the fact have no purpose and don't do well. Beyonce was the only one who had a real hit with Drunk In Love post-album release but I doubt that'll actually go on to be remembered further down the line especially considering its worldwide performance. For this reason, I conclude that surprise releases on the whole don't go on to be remembered overly well. If there are no singles or the singles that are released aren't successful, there's less to be remembered, especially for those who didn't buy the album. If Gaga did a surprise release right now, only the diehard fans would buy it and it would have a chart track similar to ARTPOP. She needs hits again. Besides, hype is good. I think the public are more likely to buy an album that is built up with singles to encourage them to buy it.

She needs to back to basics imo. Release one single promote it. Release second single promote it. Release album promote it. It needs to be clean rather than the cluster **** of releasing songs that aren't singles that turn into singles but were meant to be promotional singles so we don't understand what the single is and we get half the album in promotional singles before the actual single is released.

Totally agree. I hated this concept of releasing 80% of the album in singles/promo singles/live previews before the album even got released. It meant the fans had barely any new material to listen to when they finally got the album (resulting in them getting bored of it quicker than usual) and the public had heard so much of it for free already that they didn't see the point in buying it. Gaga made 11 out of the 15 tracks public before the album release. No wonder it didn't sell. I listened to the singles but then she did the iTunes festival and I knew everyone would be talking about it so I had no choice but to watch it and hear all those new tracks. Then she released all the promo singles. The only tracks I purposely didn't listen to before album release was Dope and Gypsy because I'd frankly had enough of all the pre-album releases and actually wanted some surprises on release day. Listening to the album on the day was such an anti climax because I'd already heard so much of it. Nothing to look forward to. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to album releases and I like to listen to my fave's new work in full with just the first 2/3 singles known to me beforehand. They can do all the promo singles they want after release but before? Why would that encourage people to buy? Record labels used to try to make records sell by releasing barely any songs before release. Now the public hear too much, decide they don't like it and don't buy it.

One promo single tops works best. i don't get why artists throw all these songs at the wall now to see what sticks. It just confuses the public because they don't know which song is the real single. Also, the promo singles are usually released just after the official single, meaning the official single hasn't even had time to get big yet before the public are distracted with a new song, so neither song reaches it full sales or chart potential. It's best to wait until a single has reached its peak and got really big before releasing promo songs. The public need to be directed in the most simple way in order to get a single to the top.

Archived